Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Light rider, stock suspension  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Feveredbike

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Sacramento, CA
Light rider, stock suspension
on: March 20, 2018, 11:27:31 PM
I weight 126lbs without gear. Stock suspension tips?

Offline Forks-by-Matt

• Approved Vendor
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Springfield, VA
Re: Light rider, stock suspension
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 02:07:24 AM
give up?

you need different springs and the valving is hopeless no matter how light or heavy you are - different base valve and shims are in your future.
Good suspension doesn't have to be expensive.

Offline Angrymetalman

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Maryland,usa
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 01:07:42 PM
Weigh 165- 6' tall, haven't had any issues with comfort but bike does seem to feel rigid on bumps and potholes, not enough to make me lose control but a few times I checked my rims/tires to insure I didn't damage them,I wonder if I could soften the bumps with adjust my suspension? Does anyone know what idea rider weight for stock suspension settings?

Offline Forks-by-Matt

• Approved Vendor
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Springfield, VA
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 01:45:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Angrymetalman [+]
Does anyone know what idea rider weight for stock suspension settings?
IMO 160-200lb.
Good suspension doesn't have to be expensive.

Offline JohnCW

• Ex Member - Moved On
  • Z900 Pro
Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 04:15:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Feveredbike [+]

If your question is the common on forums 'what has someone else set there bike too', waste of time.   

If its what do you need to do, as you've only got 3 suspension adjustments on the stock bike, no major drama ........,

Set front and rear rider sag.  Lots of articles on the internet explaining how.

Set tire pressures to something reasonable (say 34F, 36R) as a starting point.  Being light maybe 32F, 34R ...... Check them before every ride.

Set rear rebound damping to be slow enough to remove wallow in the corners but fast enough to give an acceptable compliant ride over bad roads.  You're unlikely to find a setting that will do both perfectly so like most things in life its a compromise.

Other than that, time to get your wallet out.
Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:19:26 PM by JohnCW

Offline C.J

• Z900 Junior Member
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 08:10:57 AM
*Originally Posted by Feveredbike [+]
Another light rider@120lbs/54kg naked(140lbs/64kg full gear), heres my OEM suspension setting, hope this helps..

Front fork:
Preload: from stock back out to 3 turns in(stock: 8 turns in), this gave me 37mm rider sag, tried a few hard stops (ABS kicking in) the zip-tie is about 12mm from bottom out.
Rebound: from stock turn in to 4 clicks out(stock: 7 clicks out), front is now very well controlled.
Summary: reduce preload and increase rebound, from stock.

Rear shock:
Preload: 1 2/3 turns in from stock setting, now about 4 threads showing(stock showed 2 threads), this gave me 41mm rider sag.
Rebound: all the way out(stock: 1 1/4 turns out), rear is still a tad stiff, but acceptable.
Summary: increase preload and reduce rebound, from stock.

Tire pressure: FR: 30psi/RR: 34psi, running Pirelli supercorsa SC2.

With stock setting and quite high recommended tire pressure on the RR swingarm :114:, I almost couldn't ride the bike, it kept trying to kick me in the butt, pushed me upwards at the slightest little bump and the front was just so jittery and shakey, I had trouble maintaining smooth throttle. :157:

After adjusting suspension settings, the bike transformed, even just coming to a stop at the red light the bike does not bounce and move unnecessarily. Bike now rides very well, the suspension is taut/sporty but not overly stiff, manage bumps and road imperfections very well, I have good confidence in the bike now, the bike is very easy to ride, very very happy. :082: I will play around with tire pressure some more to see if that improves things further.

oh, DM's Z9 review gave good indication and his tuning videos are fantastic help!
Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:15:16 AM by C.J

Offline Sherab

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Gangtok
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 06:29:26 PM
Light rider here with 143 lbs or 65kg .
I am a bit confused about the turn in and out you have mentioned comparing with stock settings..
Does in mean clockwise and out mean anti-clockwise ? Also you have mentioned the stock settings in brackets (), does that mean first adjusting everything to stock and than follow up with the settings you provided ?.... a bit of nooby here .... thanks In advance for helping out ... cheers

Offline 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 09:19:12 PM
*Originally Posted by Sherab [+]
Does in mean clockwise and out mean anti-clockwise ?

yes

Offline Hank Wong

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Mountain View
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 09:19:15 PM
I am not a light rider at 175lb, 195lb with gear.   I am providing my settings for more reference points.
1.  I found the seat too harsh.  I got the Kawasaki OEM comfort (tall) seat.  It helps with another inch of cushion but I still slide toward the tank.  I added two adhesive furniture pads for hardwood floor on top of the black front bar support under the seat.  Now I ride more level.  With tank grips, it feels right going on downhill twisties.
2.  I set my front fork preload to 3 turns and damping to 2 clicks, after a couple months of experimenting on the local mountain roads.  I kept good record and settled on 3 and 2.
3.  I haven't touched the rear preload.  Set the rear damping to zero (all the way CCW).  The rear is too stiff.  The spring feels to me like it is more for a 220lb rider.  I got a set of Shad panniers ordered.  It will add about 25lb to the rear.  Hopefully that will get my sag right.  I will revisit after the panniers are installed.
4.  The rake is at 24.5 degree.  The forks still has about 1/4 of an inch protrusion.  So I made it flush with the triple tree to trade turn-in for a tad more stability.  It didn't feel much difference.  But it did helped some.  I am sure that I am not imagining it.
5.  The manual tire PSI setting of 36/42 is way too harsh.  The front is bouncing over bumpy roads to unsafe level.  Right now, I am riding at 32/36.  Will go to 32/37 after I add the panniers.
6.  I ordered a Puig knock-off windshield on Ebay for $31 with no shipping fee.  It is identical down to the mounting hardware and bracket.  It takes the wind off my chest and is great. 
7.  I installed a set of shorty levers.  Also from Ebay.  Works great.

Offline zamp

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: z900
  • Town / City: Torrance
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 05:35:22 PM
I'm under 150 with gear.   Tried CJ settings, and yes I felt an improvement.
Not that I thought the stock settings were terrible, But a little fine tuning doesn't hurt.
Will update once we can do a real ride.

Cheers Z