Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Just bought my Z900 2017  (Read 3051 times)

Offline a2amali

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Ride to feel alive
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: London
Just bought my Z900 2017
on: March 27, 2018, 03:58:29 PM
Hello Guys,

Just bought Z900 from Daytona Motorcycles in Ruislip.

I felt really confident on the test ride so decided to go for it.. well the 0% also had something to do with it lol.

I have been test riding so many bikes in the last year but could not find a soul mate. I tried following and rejected because of reasons.

MT07: Felt like a toy. It did have initial push but it just lacked the refinements you will see in MT09 or other bikes. Its a wheely toy.
MT09: too much initial kick and seating position is more of an off road not like motorcycle. Tried Tracer900 also but it was too high and I didnt want to buy something that I dont know how it would actually feel after lowering it.
Street Triple: Too light in my opinion and it was not quick at the first few seconds, not like z900
CB650: Good bike but again the pickup was bit lame as compared to Z900, also the seat was not as comfortable
GSXS750: felt bit limp at start and at 90mph the engine was very noisy and was not making constant noise
GSXS1000F: Great bike, loads of power.. bit too much maybe. I found it bit too wide and the bike was getting hot on a wintery day. It wont be good for commuting.
BMWS1000R: if the bike wont kill ya then maint certainly will!!! The bike was getting too hot and that was in the winter day.  In summer i dont think I will enjoy riding it in London.
BMWR1200R: Great bike but again maintenance for BMW is too high, better buy an old one and learn to fix yourself.

I already upgraded the tyres to Pilot 5 because the original were not good on wet road during the test ride but if there is any upgrades you guys could recommend I be glad to hear it.

Thanks

Azam

Azam

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2020 GSXS 1000
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Re: Just bought my Z900 2017
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 07:09:19 PM
 :400:
2020 GSXS 1000

Offline Yojimbo

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Torrance
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:49:25 PM
Welcome and agreed on all your points! I test rode almost all the same bikes plus the Z900RS, which was perfect except for the price. My only knock against the Z900 was its looks, (I know it's subjective, but damn our zed is ugly) but that is slowly growing on me.

Offline TimmyDub

• Z900 Junior Member
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 07:13:55 AM
Hi Azam. I'm new here as well. I just bought my Z900 a week ago and it's already started its transformation. Ive bolted on a full Akrapovic exhaust and it's currently in at the dyno shop for a tune. It was fun to ride with just the exhaust so I can't wait to see the changes once I get it back. It'll come with a dyno print out so I'll post the results once it's done. I pick it up tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes... All the best with your new bike!

Offline a2amali

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Ride to feel alive
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 09:13:32 AM
*Originally Posted by Yojimbo [+]
Welcome and agreed on all your points! I test rode almost all the same bikes plus the Z900RS, which was perfect except for the price. My only knock against the Z900 was its looks, (I know it's subjective, but damn our zed is ugly) but that is slowly growing on me.

100% correct. I did not like the look of Z900 but the feel of it just sold it to me. I wish both lights were on all the time, that's the most annoying thing. Don't think its even LED.

I bought the crash protectors for the body, back wheel and front wheel - all R&G. Also got Large screen, back box so I am all set for touring.
Azam

Offline a2amali

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Ride to feel alive
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:15:15 AM
*Originally Posted by TimmyDub [+]
Hi Azam. I'm new here as well. I just bought my Z900 a week ago and it's already started its transformation. Ive bolted on a full Akrapovic exhaust and it's currently in at the dyno shop for a tune. It was fun to ride with just the exhaust so I can't wait to see the changes once I get it back. It'll come with a dyno print out so I'll post the results once it's done. I pick it up tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes... All the best with your new bike!

Look forward to the read out. ACRA was around 700 here and I know the sweet sound it makes, but I thought Z900 original exhaust made pretty great sound. Its certainly enough for me.
Azam

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 06:12:38 PM
Hi from Wiltshire. If you're planning on touring/riding year round and have accessories you want to run then power saving is an "upgrade" you want to look at. From what I hear, the amount of electrical load the Z can take is quite low, so anywhere you can save on electrical draw will help. Obviously the rear light is already LED, but you could upgrade your indicators and headlights to LED and that would save you some power draw. I've not done the headlights on mine yet (and I'm sure Ninjaef will be along shortly to tell you about how LED's are illegal in the UK) but I've changed for LED indicators. On the subject of headlights, it's not possible to have both on at the same time as the reflector housing is different each side, which is how high and low beam use the same bulbs. Also, only having 1 bulb on is a safety thing, but I won't get into that now.

Another good accessory to have is the tall seat. Much more comfortable and gives you more leg room, should you need it.

I would say tyres, but you've already done that. With regards to the exhaust system, you can pick up an Akrapovic system on eBay for around 460 new, so whoever was selling for 700 is trying their luck. For that price, you could get the full titanium system from SC Project.

Suspension setup is another good thing to do, will make the bike handle a lot better for you. Other than that, I haven't done too much to mine other than a few visual things - tail tidy, exhaust hanger, smaller numberplate and I've added a set of heated grips.

One last thing. You may find that your heel will rest on the stock exhaust. An aftermarket slip on will solve that problem.

Happy riding  :305:
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline BamAustian

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Austin Texas
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 02:18:21 PM
Welcome to the best club there is :)

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 04:02:48 PM
Welcome a2mali...Good comparo, you made a wise choice.  :028:

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 04:15:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Yojimbo [+]
I felt the same way about it. In fact well over a year ago when everybody was excited about the idea of a z900 supercharged retro bike (before the RS) and finally this transformer-like kids bike came out, I flat out badmouthed the z900. No possible way I would buy one. Then the rave reviews came out. I started to at least appreciate it.  All of a sudden I woke up one day and loved it. It is beautiful.

It harkens back to the original Z1 when Honda beat Kawasaki to the punch with the cb750. Not wanting to offer a 750 at the same time as Honda, Kawasaki went back to the drawing board then showed up late to the party with a 900 and blew the field away. They did the same with the z900. History repeating itself. Fantastic bike.