Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Vinyl Wrap  (Read 5698 times)

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
Vinyl Wrap
« on: April 01, 2018, 12:23:18 AM »
  I got a couple requests to post tips about using vinyl wrap on the Z so here we go.

First, I chose vinyl because its not permanent, presumably cheaper (didnt actually check the prices of painting), replaceable should a section get damaged, not harmful if I fail at applying it and it protects the factory paint without having to get pads or clear films. My original reason was just to bridge a gap on the bottom side of the tail that I modified for a smoother look.

Did I mention it looks great?

I did some research and found that some of the cheap vinyls have glue that CAN damage your paint. So its best to stick to a company with a good name. You dont want to do any damage just because you want a different color.
Some safe options are 3M, Avery Dennison, VVIVID and KPMF. Different professionals recommended different brands so it may depend on what color or finish options are available like it did in my case.

I used metrorestyling.com to order the products. They have everything you need and were good with shipping quickly. One gripe was that they didnt include one of the items in my order and questioned that I didnt actually receive it.

The wrap I used for the main color was:
KPMF Satin Nero
  The accents were:
Avery Dennison Satin Black
Avery Dennison Satin Grass Green
The Avery product was easier to apply, but I dont know if thats because of the brand or that the material was just thinner.

The tools I used were:
Hair dryer
Exacto knife
Avery Wrap Glove (More useful than I expected)
3M Knifeless Tape (I ended up using two of these 10 meter rolls)
Squeegees (I barely used them but are useful for tucking tight corners)

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
Re: Vinyl Wrap
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 12:27:40 AM »
  The Z has some really tight angles and I must say its one of the most aggravating things Ive done.
  Ill make a list of tips when I get a few minutes.

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: St. Louis
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 02:25:48 AM »
Looks great!  Good quality vinyl + heat + patience. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:27:57 AM by sdiver68 »

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 03:29:27 AM »
Thanks!

I forgot to mention, you can get small samples of vinyl for a couple bucks if you want to see it before deciding on a vinyl. I would have gone with one of these but they were way more expensive and harder to install apparently. (Someone needs to go with the chrome orange for a 1st gen z1000 throwback!)  :047:

Bike specific tips:
Fuel tank- I learned from watching a video of a professional trying to wrap a tank off the motorcycle that I need to keep the tank on the bike and I personally couldnt do it with a single piece of vinyl. I tried 2 pieces. No. Had to use 4 pieces. Split it down the middle and down the body lines at the knee indents.  3M has videos showing you some ways to hide seams. Theyre not very noticeable if you use the body lines.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:43:07 AM by iBuchon »

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 04:12:11 AM »
Bike specific tips:

Tail section- The tail section was more difficult than I thought too. I had to use 4 pieces for the top half. Again, I used the body lines to try to hide the seams a good as I could and a seam down the center.

On the bottom part of the tail I used 3 pieces but could have probably done it with just 2. The plastic on this part doesnt let the glue adhere as well so it helped to heat it up and heat the vinyl a little before I started. So far its holding fine, but Ill update if it starts to peel anywhere.

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 04:34:42 AM »
great job
I do not even come close to have the patients to do this  :020:

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 04:35:42 AM »
Bike specific tips:
Tank Shrouds- I did these with a single sheet, but on both sides a little spot bubbled up after a day or so. The stretch from the angles was just too much at that point I guess. I ended up cutting away a piece around the trouble spot along the body lines and put another piece there to replace it. Thought about adding some green instead but decided I wanted to keep it dark.

Trouble area:

Fix:

Not the fix:

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 04:37:01 AM »
Its not very fun thats for sure. But man, I love this thing now!

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 05:01:21 AM »
The rest- All the rest was pretty straightforward. Plan it out and just go for it. I will say that stretching very much makes an ugly final product, so I had to redo a couple pieces because I got impatient. Another thing is pay close attention to detail around all the edges. Things like where pieces meet up and points are more noticeable in the sun. Let me know if anyone has questions and add any pictures of wrapped parts on here. Happy wrapping!

Offline ady2k

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Bangalore
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 06:08:49 AM »
Looks smashing.. A Black Ninja :305: