Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Steering Damper Options?  (Read 10093 times)

Offline Garrthomp6

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Houston
Steering Damper Options?
on: April 03, 2018, 02:14:19 PM
Was going you know a little above the speed limit the other day and hit a bump and my handlebars started wobbling on me. Usually theyre very straight and I have no problems but you never know and Im more of a have and not need guy anyways. Any options? I saw one with an adapter but the adapter required your tank plastics to stay off. I think that looks bad. Any info would be great, thank you!

Offline Aussielife

• Z900 Member
Re: Steering Damper Options?
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:53:58 AM
Some members will try and tell you they are not necessary on our bikes i beg to differ i emailed ohlins and no response yet but as soon as its available ill be buying one.
If you dont think so check out the link below !!!
Freeway joint at high(ish) speed on a z1000 and probably less than optimal suspension settings.

Offline BlackZ

• Z900 Pro
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 02:49:24 AM
*Originally Posted by Aussielife [+]
Some members will try and tell you they are not necessary on our bikes i beg to differ i emailed ohlins and no response yet but as soon as its available ill be buying one.
Freeway joint at high(ish) speed on a z1000 and probably less than optimal suspension settings.

Omg. Wow. That's almost literally unbelievable. If it wasn't for the camera no one would imagine/envision how lucky/blessed he was. Damn.

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: St. Louis
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 03:21:31 AM
Possible option (haven't tried yet but might):
Ebay has China Z900 CNC mount kits for $50.  I wouldn't trust the 70mm dampers that come with some of these just get the mount kit.
Add rebuildable Ohlins 08-12 ZX10R OEM Damper - <$150 used in excellent shape.  I believe these are 65mm stroke
Ohlins authorized dealer rebuild to full race valve spec = $100
Total < $300

Same but with new Ohlins 68mm damper = $50 + $400 Total = $450

Hey, you asked for options!  :002:
Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:27:30 AM by sdiver68

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 04:05:14 AM
That kid was redline in FIRST gear just shifting into second gear when the tankslapper happened. So, that's something to avoid.
 :138:

Offline Aussielife

• Z900 Member
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 04:52:11 AM
Its not on my list of things to do haha. Yeah i dont know for sure but i think 1-2 on a z1000 happens at like 70mph. He did say in his breakdown that he inadvertinly lifted the front on the 1-2 change but no doubt a steering damper could have helped him out there for sure.i have noticed on my z that upshifting under W.O.T does shake the head alot. But,i keep it tame on the roads and wear full gear! A.T.G.A.T.T people!

Offline NHRstein

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Orinda
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 05:01:01 AM
*Originally Posted by Aussielife [+]

This is not the video I would use to show that steering dampeners are needed. I have watched this several times and all I am left to wonder is, what would we see if the video showed us the 30 seconds prior to the start of the speed wobble. I am pretty sure you would see a wheelie in there but even if you didn't, one can only assume the speedo is blurred out for a reason.

Are steering dampeners useful? Yes especially if you are doing some sort of spirited riding. Does everyone need one? Likely not, otherwise they would be standard equipment on all motorcycles. So the choice is totally up to you. Some people have shown the e-bay kit with an actual branded dampener in it. That may be a good way to go. I just have my suspicions of anything coming from China under an unheard of name. it seems right now the Chinesium mount is the only game in town... I am going to wait until something better comes along. 
You Never See A Motorcycle Parked Outside Of A Psychiatrist's Office

Offline Aussielife

• Z900 Member
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 09:42:20 AM
*Originally Posted by NHRstein [+]
This is not the video I would use to show that steering dampeners are needed. I have watched this several times and all I am left to wonder is, what would we see if the video showed us the 30 seconds prior to the start of the speed wobble. I am pretty sure you would see a wheelie in there but even if you didn't, one can only assume the speedo is blurred out for a reason.

Are steering dampeners useful? Yes especially if you are doing some sort of spirited riding. Does everyone need one? Likely not, otherwise they would be standard equipment on all motorcycles. So the choice is totally up to you. Some people have shown the e-bay kit with an actual branded dampener in it. That may be a good way to go. I just have my suspicions of anything coming from China under an unheard of name. it seems right now the Chinesium mount is the only game in town... I am going to wait until something better comes along.

Absolutely correct in saying they are not needed for all riders. I can say that i will be getting one and i have noticed alot of head shake in this platform(naked ,high hp).
In the breakdown he stated that he was filming a intro to his YT channel and kicked it down into first to do a "spirited" clip what ever that is.
anyhoo, take the risk and take the payout.
Im not saying a steering damper would prevent this crash because a quick jab of throttle could have lifted weight off the front allowimg him to set it back down.
But a steering damper would have helped control the bike,like you said they can be very helpfull that much is plainly obvious. 👍
To the OP if i hear anything from ohlins CS ill be sure to post it here

Offline Garrthomp6

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Houston
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 04:43:39 PM
I may just wait for a better option or possibly just do the mount with ohlins rebuild because Id like it ASAP. Ive been riding a while and I havent had a problem yet but its always the what if you know? I ride quite spirited at times when theres no traffic and Id hate to hit a pothole or a bump or something and total the beaut

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: St. Louis
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 06:45:59 PM
I ordered an Ohlins damper and China bracket.  If the bracket is not to par I'll had it over to my CNC mill friends to improve.

However, other than the screws ,nuts, bolts hardware my experience is the CNC China stuff is usually plenty strong.  Certainly as strong as the cast brackets supplied OEM on many bikes.