Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Steering Damper Options?  (Read 10110 times)

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Re: Steering Damper Options?
Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 01:46:17 AM
*Originally Posted by NHRstein [+]
This is not the video I would use to show that steering dampeners are needed. I have watched this several times and all I am left to wonder is, what would we see if the video showed us the 30 seconds prior to the start of the speed wobble. I am pretty sure you would see a wheelie in there but even if you didn't, one can only assume the speedo is blurred out for a reason.

Are steering dampeners useful? Yes especially if you are doing some sort of spirited riding. Does everyone need one? Likely not, otherwise they would be standard equipment on all motorcycles. So the choice is totally up to you. Some people have shown the e-bay kit with an actual branded dampener in it. That may be a good way to go. I just have my suspicions of anything coming from China under an unheard of name. it seems right now the Chinesium mount is the only game in town... I am going to wait until something better comes along.
I watched his explanation video as well. It sounds like he is aware that he may lose his insurance claim if he wheelied and broke the speed limit though he didn't come right out and say  it. He's probably torn between insurance money and a viral video (however much they pay out).

Offline NHRstein

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Orinda
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 03:13:09 AM
*Originally Posted by sdiver68 [+]
I ordered an Ohlins damper and China bracket.  If the bracket is not to par I'll had it over to my CNC mill friends to improve.

However, other than the screws ,nuts, bolts hardware my experience is the CNC China stuff is usually plenty strong.  Certainly as strong as the cast brackets supplied OEM on many bikes.

Can you post up in this thread when it all comes in. I would be interested to see what you think of it.
You Never See A Motorcycle Parked Outside Of A Psychiatrist's Office

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: St. Louis
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 08:03:15 PM
Yes of course.

I noticed 2 different designs being offered from various overseas vendors.  1 looks like a simpler design versus the 1 that actually looks like it will work.  :034:

So, I took 1 for the team and ordered 1 of each.  Now to wait 1-3 weeks for shipping.

Offline BlackZ

• Z900 Pro
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 10:51:11 PM
Yes of course.

I noticed 2 different designs being offered from various overseas vendors.  1 looks like a simpler design versus the 1 that actually looks like it will work.  :034:

So, I took 1 for the team and ordered 1 of each.  Now to wait 1-3 weeks for shipping.

I was only aware of 1 design..but haven't looked for a while. Could you post up a link to both styles?

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:50:31 AM by sdiver68

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 02:28:43 AM
I ordered an Ohlins damper and China bracket.  If the bracket is not to par I'll had it over to my CNC mill friends to improve.

However, other than the screws ,nuts, bolts hardware my experience is the CNC China stuff is usually plenty strong.  Certainly as strong as the cast brackets supplied OEM on many bikes.
I have seen Chinese knock off levers and was pretty amazed at the quality of craftsmanship. Easily as good as say Rizoma at a small fraction of the price. As for the bolts, they never seem to fit properly though.
I wonder exactly how strong the aluminum stock is that they use?
It's stronger than the cast aluminum for sure as you say but if you see your CNC friends I wonder what they have to say about the quality of the aluminum stock the Chinese companies use as compared to the brand name aftermarket companies?

Offline BlackZ

• Z900 Pro
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 06:03:51 AM
sdiver68- both links were the same  :138: lol

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 01:49:43 PM

Ive watched this video before. Not keen on the idea of having to trim the plastic surround to fit the mounting bracket. I am curious as to how the 2 are different? Obviously the second picture you put up has a stem sticking up off the mounting bracket, but when assembled, will the first pic you put up not be the same ish?
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:08:37 PM by sdiver68

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 04:08:05 PM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Ive watched this video before. Not keen on the idea of having to trim the plastic surround to fit the mounting bracket. I am curious as to how the 2 are different? Obviously the second picture you put up has a stem sticking up off the mounting bracket, but when assembled, will the first pic you put up not be the same ish?

Yeah I don't see any way around the trimming the cover near the lock assembly.  It might just be a drilled hole particularly with Design 1.  Either way it's a cheap piece to replace if you wanted to go back to stock.

Design 1 uses a "bar" across both handlebar clamps as the mounting point for the steering side of the assembly.  Design 2 uses 1 clamp as the mounting point.