Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Steering Damper Options?  (Read 10108 times)

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Steering Damper Options?
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 04:14:55 PM
*Originally Posted by sdiver68 [+]
Yeah I don't see any way around the trimming the cover near the lock assembly.  It might just be a drilled hole particularly with Design 1.  Either way it's a cheap piece to replace if you wanted to go back to stock.

Design 1 uses a "bar" across both handlebar clamps as the mounting point for the steering side of the assembly.  Design 2 uses 1 clamp as the mounting point.

Thanks, now youve said it I can see it. Was looking at design 1 before with a puzzled look on my face lol.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Zrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: syracuse NY
Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 04:37:54 PM
ive got the second design style on my Z. you have to cut a large portion of the trim panel around the key cylinder but its hardly noticeable nor is it a difficult task. the quality of the kit is actually better if not equal to any name brand kits ive used.... that's not saying that the aluminum stock used is the best as ive got no way of knowing that.

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: St. Louis
Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:07 PM
Design 1 with OEM 09-12 ZX6r Ohlins damper works! Pics and how to later.  I did not have to cut up the key cylinder front trim much...just a slightly dremel elongated hole from a 3/4ths drill bit.

Design 2 has not arrived. 
Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:17:29 PM by sdiver68

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 11:32:04 PM
Right now, my advice is to wait for the test install of Design 2.  Design 1 works but I have a couple of small concerns.

I'm not going to post the how-to until Design 2 arrives but here are install pictures to help anyone wanting to use this kit:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/l6pwkBmCkNaX1pwO2

BTW these are closeup flash pics meant to provide images for install detail.  I swear all those little scratches and dust spots aren't there in real life  :232:

Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:39:44 PM by sdiver68

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 01:59:51 AM
Well I have a perfectly mounted OEM ZX6R Ohlins steering damper now  :030:

It turns out I had to use parts from BOTH Design 1 and Design 2 to get it perfect.  Design 1 works but you lose a little lock-to-lock with the OEM ZX6R damper since it's not quite long enough.  A longer damper rod would work great.  Design 2 does not work at all, the damper hits the instrument screen.  Using the bottom from Design 1 and the top from Design 2 along with creative use of 1 spacer mounts it up perfectly.

Pic:

Offline BlackZ

• Z900 Pro
Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 02:07:03 AM
With what we will call design 3..lol.. did you still lose the lock to lock?  Do you feel that design 2 was just due to the ohlins interfering due to size of the unit? Also what made you mix the parts for your design?

Oh and congrats on the successful install!

:821:

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 02:32:38 AM
*Originally Posted by BlackZ [+]
With what we will call design 3..lol.. did you still lose the lock to lock?  Do you feel that design 2 was just due to the ohlins interfering due to size of the unit? Also what made you mix the parts for your design?

Oh and congrats on the successful install!

Thanks!  It's perfect now, no lock-to-lock loss.

Design 2 simply is not tall enough to clear the larger Ohlins damper from the instrument screen.  Design 1 was just a little too long on the handlebar side for full lock-to-lock with the OEM Zx6R damper which I believe is around 65mm.  So using the taller stem piece and the shorter handlebar mount worked great.

Design 1 would work fine if you used a longer damper.  Or shimmed the steering lock as is done on race bikes.  Or just was careful with it. 

Offline BlackZ

• Z900 Pro
Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 03:27:16 AM
Thanks!  It's perfect now, no lock-to-lock loss.

Design 2 simply is not tall enough to clear the larger Ohlins damper from the instrument screen.  Design 1 was just a little too long on the handlebar side for full lock-to-lock with the OEM Zx6R damper which I believe is around 65mm.  So using the taller stem piece and the shorter handlebar mount worked great.

Design 1 would work fine if you used a longer damper.  Or shimmed the steering lock as is done on race bikes.  Or just was careful with it.

Great info! Thanks man!

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 04:49:46 AM
Well I have a perfectly mounted OEM ZX6R Ohlins steering damper now  :030:

It turns out I had to use parts from BOTH Design 1 and Design 2 to get it perfect.  Design 1 works but you lose a little lock-to-lock with the OEM ZX6R damper since it's not quite long enough.  A longer damper rod would work great.  Design 2 does not work at all, the damper hits the instrument screen.  Using the bottom from Design 1 and the top from Design 2 along with creative use of 1 spacer mounts it up perfectly.

Pic:

Well done, looks a tidy job and I must say Im ever so slightly jealous! What year ZX6R is the damper from or does it not make any difference? Also what spacer did you use?

Good posting with great info for others :028:
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 12:09:44 PM
Good info sdiver68  :152:

However, that Ohlins looks like the OEM part intended item for the ZX6R (and later 636 models). The OEM version (99994-0350) uses (Kawi spec) different valving, many with ZX6R's were complaining it was very weak...they required re-valving or swapped out to the pure Ohlins (18 clicks) damper. I can't 100% tell from just that picture but thats what I know and a FYI.

As for the brackets, its too bad you essentially need two kits to make it fit properly.