Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Steering Damper Options?  (Read 10092 times)

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: St. Louis
Re: Steering Damper Options?
Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 01:38:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
However, that Ohlins looks like the OEM part intended item for the ZX6R (and later 636 models). The OEM version (99994-0350) uses (Kawi spec) different valving, many with ZX6R's were complaining it was very weak...they required re-valving or swapped out to the pure Ohlins (18 clicks) damper. I can't 100% tell from just that picture but thats what I know and a FYI.

Yes, see post 4  :305: But it's worth repeating for sure.

Still, total cost this route is <$300 for what essentially is a race spec Ohlins damper (after rebuild) or <$200 for the Ohlins damper mounted without rebuild.

Other than risking a Chinese damper, there aren't a whole lot of options out there right now and nothing nearly as cost effective.

Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:42:27 PM by sdiver68

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 01:55:25 PM
*Originally Posted by sdiver68 [+]
Other than risking a Chinese damper, there aren't a whole lot of options out there right now and nothing nearly as cost effective.
1000%

Offline Campbellian73

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Nashville
Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 02:57:58 PM
Looks like you lose sight of part of the instrument panel, is that correct ? Hard to tell from the pictures.

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 04:35:59 PM
*Originally Posted by Campbellian73 [+]
Looks like you lose sight of part of the instrument panel, is that correct ? Hard to tell from the pictures.

The clock is partially hidden in my normal riding position but easy to see by leaning forward a few inches.  Everything else is easily seen in direct line of sight.

I noted someone else who did 1 of the full Chinese damper kit ended up moving his screen a few inches.  I'm guessing his damper was bigger or was his solution for using Design 2.
Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:40:55 PM by sdiver68

Offline Campbellian73

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Nashville
Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 04:40:24 PM
Thanks  :152:

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
Reply #35 on: June 11, 2018, 09:42:12 PM
Bump for those who have requested details on my ZX6R Ohlins install.

Offline rimacmateo

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900e 2020
  • Town / City: Split
Reply #36 on: June 29, 2020, 08:27:18 PM
Hey , did you know if someone did it on the 2020 model?

Offline Mikerz900

• Z900 Member
  • "Crazy like a beaver I am!"
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #37 on: June 30, 2020, 02:11:39 AM
Hey all, since I did a hefty bit of online research and reviewing information from everyone on the forum who went down the steering damper rabbit hole... Here's where I landed with some pretty successful results that I'm finding I'm really happy with after taking the bike out today and pushing her harder to see how things handled.

Damper - Hyperpro RSC 75mm stroke, universal damper (75mm fits the bike perfectly, can turn to full stop both ways, no interference).

Tube clamp - Hyperpro, made for a zx10r kit but i found a shop on eBay selling the clamp on its own (NOTE - any Hyperpro tube clamp should work as the dampers are all 24.6mm in diameter, I spoke with Hyperpro directly to confirm everything).

Mount kit - Ordered the "design 1" and "design 2" kits from China. #1 with the cross both handlebar clamps setup arrived first (2 is still in shipping but I'm probably going to return it, given the success with design one on its own), so the pics are of only that.

I only had to drill a hole for the kit stem to fit through, not cut out a whole chunk. The rationale for ordering a Hyperpro clamp was mainly that as much as I trust the strength of the aluminum in the mount kit, the clamp has moving parts (the pivot bearing with the mount hole), I'd rather all the mechanical parts of the damper be from a reputable company (obviously this isn't an issue for those of you with the ohlins dampers cause both bearings are built in! 😊).

Pics (feel free to ask any questions. I'm happy to help!)