Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gearing - Z900 - version 2.0  (Read 9241 times)

Offline Yojimbo

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Torrance
Re: Gearing - Z900 - version 2.0
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 07:46:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Scim77 [+]
For those wanting to retain the rubber cushioning on the front sprocket, JT Sprockets seem to have it covered in either 15, 16 or 17 tooth versions :-

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF1537RB/

The 17 tooth with a 44T rear would required moving the rear axle 0.3" forward, which might be a close call. The 16T would fit easily.

Just installed this rubber cushioned 16 tooth JT Sprocket. It was a very tight fit on the splines of the counter shaft, at first I thought I'd gotten the wrong size, but I had to give it some serious force to push it all the way in. The stock sprocket slides on/off much easier. I guess this is a good thing so there is absolutely no play with the JT.

Since this is my first sprocket change, I've got a few questions:
1) There was some red residue, like a powder, on the splines when I took the stock sprocket off. Is this normal? It couldn't be rust, could it?
2) I did not apply any grease to the splines when installing the new sprocket. Will skipping this step cause problems? Is moly grease the stuff to use or can I use bearing grease since I have it handy?
3) What is the torque spec for the counter shaft sprocket nut? I looked through the owner's manual, but couldn't find this info.

I ended up torquing it to 90 ft/lbs and felt confident enough to take it for a couple of test rides on a local twisty road through Palos Verdes (for those in CA you'll know) and then on the freeway. I like the 16-44 set-up better than stock. It suits my riding style, feels more relaxed/smooth. For now at least, I'm no longer looking for that 7th gear.
Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:30:43 PM by Yojimbo

Offline Swinging_Nuts

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 17 Z900
  • Town / City: Houston
Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 07:58:15 PM
Does this not affect the odometer at all.? Giving you a false sense of better fuel economy.?

Offline Yojimbo

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Torrance
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 08:07:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Swinging_Nuts [+]
Does this not affect the odometer at all.? Giving you a false sense of better fuel economy.?

I don't know about the spedo/odometers, I'm sure the sprocket change affects both, but haven't looked into this yet. I wonder how accurate the gps on my phone is to compare it to the spedo, but in reality I'm too lazy to test this.

It is giving me a sense of better fuel economy based on the real-time MPG read-out on the dash. Since I never took my own calculations before the change, even If I measured it now, I'd have nothing to compare it against.

It is absolutely giving me a longer drive out of each gear, which I like, and definitely calmed the bike down on the highway when riding at speeds typical of my commute. Planning a longer ride up the CA coast through BIg Sur, so I definitely wanted to do this before that trip as I anticipate the slight reduction in highway cruising rpm will result in less fatigue on longer rides and slogging miles on the freeway.

Offline Swinging_Nuts

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 17 Z900
  • Town / City: Houston
Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 08:25:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Yojimbo [+]
I don't know about the spedo/odometers, I'm sure the sprocket change affects both, but haven't looked into this yet. I wonder how accurate the gps on my phone is to compare it to the spedo, but in reality I'm too lazy to test this.

It is giving me a sense of better fuel economy based on the real-time MPG read-out on the dash. Since I never took my own calculations before the change, even If I measured it now, I'd have nothing to compare it against.

It is absolutely giving me a longer drive out of each gear, which I like, and definitely calmed the bike down on the highway when riding at speeds typical of my commute. Planning a longer ride up the CA coast through BIg Sur, so I definitely wanted to do this before that trip as I anticipate the slight reduction in highway cruising rpm will result in less fatigue on longer rides and slogging miles on the freeway.

It was just a thought, with my 97 dodge I have it on 35 tires which is a huge difference over stock so it actually threw the speedo and odo off by about 10-15% so I had to swap the sensors gearing to give me correct readings and ( hand calculated ) mpg

Im not sure how fuel consumption is measured on the bike for the electric readout. Thatd be a good fun fact though if anybody knows.
Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:29:52 PM by Swinging_Nuts

Offline Jim

• Z900 Pro
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 11:47:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Jasper [+]

Second week of driving was all about commuting and overtaking if possible - still most part of my driving was in 6'th gear - drove 312 km - filled the tank with 15,38 liter of gas => fuel consumption 20,29 km/l  :305:  :305:

I'm still running stock gearing. When I ride with my friends that have Harleys, which means slow riding. Going by the odometer and by how much gas I put in. I get 48 MPG average. If I stay off the throttle and don't blast any back roads while riding with them, I can get just over 50 MPG. Boy, is it hard not to blast the turns though.

I don't think your increasing your fuel range/milage like you think.

Offline T Bigbee

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: AUSTIN
Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 10:18:49 PM
Jasper, when I read your post regarding the gearing I felt exactly as you did about the gearing on my 2019 Z900 and made the sprocket changes just as you described. 17/41 made a world of difference in comfort and drivability, definitely way better than the stock gearing. Maybe a little too much so now I am going to the 16/41. I want to thank you for sharing what you learned on the forum, it helps us new Z900 owners.

Offline T Bigbee

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: AUSTIN
Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 09:43:57 PM
Jasper, have you any problems with engine code 25 as a result of changing your gearing? Others have posted such when changing the gearing and I have also now experienced it.

Offline Jasper

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Copenhagen
Reply #17 on: June 09, 2019, 02:14:10 AM
Hi TBigBee, thanks for the positive comments in the thread :)

Im still running the 17/41 and would not hesitate to take it even further if possible. Coming from a trip abroad I took the z900 to 215 km/h just under some 7000 rpm. No error code 25 thrown!

Actually never a single issue with the z900 so fare technically.

Offline petrorabbit

• Z900 Member
Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 02:32:33 AM
it seems a lot of people complains about this bike gearing but personally for the type of riding that i do i don't understand, the bike can do 190km/h in 4thgear :084:

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 07:26:40 AM
*Originally Posted by petrorabbit [+]
it seems a lot of people complains about this bike gearing but personally for the type of riding that i do i don't understand, the bike can do 190km/h in 4thgear :084:

The only real issue I think is just how short first gear is. Im considering going up 1 tooth on the front when I change the chain and sprockets, just to stretch out the first 2 gears, but then I use my bike year round for commuting, so this makes sense for my riding. Wouldnt want to make any changes bigger than that though as I love the power of the bike as it is.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!