Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike wanders to right  (Read 4111 times)

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
Re: Bike wanders to right
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 09:05:20 AM »
My bike seemed to drift to the right as well and it was harder to lean to the left. It was the stock tires! The minute I put Road 5's on the bike it changed everything. So tight and handles so well.

Offline Ziguere

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Prague
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 07:52:22 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm new here, this is my first post. I've bought brand new Z900 2019. The bike is awesome, I love it! However it wanders to the right right from the start (now I have ridden 186 km).

Next week I'm going for a warranty service, I'm really curious what they'll say.

Offline Forks-by-Matt

• Approved Vendor
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Springfield, VA
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2019, 04:58:15 PM »
how crowned are your roads? Something to consider, get up to say 25-30mph and let go of the bars, do they slowly osculate or rapidly wag from side to side (small amplitude) or stay basically still? If they move a fair bit, rest a single finger lightly on one bar grip. Does the movement stop?

When the bike 'wanders' are you in neutral with hands off bars? or transmission still in gear?
If you mean it seems to turn a little bit easier to the Right than to the Left, then your tire could be slightly crooked or your forks could be cocked slightly. Bikes ship in crates generally with the front wheel not installed and the most junior and badly paid flunky is generally the one who uncrates bikes so it's not uncommon for things to be left twisted thru no overt fault of the tech.
Good suspension doesn't have to be expensive.

Offline Ziguere

• Z900 Junior Member
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 08:46:37 AM »
I've tried it on a nice roads the straight one and also on the one that is tilted to the left. In both cases it wanders to the right, but less on the tilted one. I tried it in gears and in N, the same thing. The handle bars are perfectly still.

Offline Ziguere

• Z900 Junior Member
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2019, 08:22:00 AM »
So, I went little deeper into this issue... I've communicated with Kawasaki regional HQ directly. My bike seems perfectly OK - everything is as it should be. HQ tried their own Z900 and it wanders to the right as well. Dealership's Z900 is doing it as well, although it is a little bit better because it has lighter exhaust on the right side (Akrapovic).

Conclusion is that it's not a bug, it's a feature. When I look at the bike from behind, rear suspension is tilted to the right and exhaust is on the right side, so it's kind of logical for me - right side of the bike is heavier.

This can be corrected by slightly tilting a rear wheel axis (moving right axis screw slightly back), because rear wheel behaves like a rudder of the ship. Tilting  each 0.5 mm makes a difference. However the guy from HQ warned me that tilting the axis even 0.5 mm might cause the bike to misbehave in high speeds.

So I left it like this - wandering is pretty small and only when I release handle bars. When riding normally I cannot feel any wandering whatsoever. And in high speeds bike is totally fine.