Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Z900 Bread Box dissected.  (Read 5024 times)

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Re: Z900 Bread Box dissected.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
That's not as silly as it sounds, you would definitely get a bit more noise, and I think the flow would maybe improve if the hole lined up to the other pipe.
My luck would be if I drilled with  hole saw that the piece would fall into the muffler and rattle around for ever.  :019:

Great find on the pictures OP, I wanted to know what was in there.

:305:
Not silly at all.
A step drill wouldn't bite at the slight angle. I know I could get a hole saw on an extension to drill that pipe. At worse, wooden shims would be needed to start the bit. Perhaps a small hole saw then a step drill to enlarge it.
It would be possible to cut 99% of the hole then reach in with a screw driver and twist the slug out and remove it, but yeah, having too big of a slug rattling around may jam something up eventually.

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: St. Louis
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »
Seems like a lot of effort given how cheap headers and link pipes are  :029: and you are STILL stuck with the weight which is 1 of the major things I noticed when I went to a full system.

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 11:21:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by sdiver68 [+]
Seems like a lot of effort given how cheap headers and link pipes are  :029: and you are STILL stuck with the weight which is 1 of the major things I noticed when I went to a full system.

That's all very true, but for people like me that have taken off the rear muffler and like that look, it would give the option of maybe a bit more noise without being obnoxious loud like it would be with a centre pipe and no rear muffler. Like if I fit a centre pipe, then I will have to buy a rear slip on muffler to quieten it down a bit.
And its good fun to play with stuff and do stupid things just for the sake of it.  :001:

Not silly at all.
A step drill wouldn't bite at the slight angle. I know I could get a hole saw on an extension to drill that pipe. At worse, wooden shims would be needed to start the bit. Perhaps a small hole saw then a step drill to enlarge it.
It would be possible to cut 99% of the hole then reach in with a screw driver and twist the slug out and remove it, but yeah, having too big of a slug rattling around may jam something up eventually.

I was thinking even if the piece did fall in muffler, it would be smaller than the hole you just drilled and a magnet on a stick thing would probably just lift it out with a bit of juggling.
I am tempted to try this to see how it changes the sound, you would get two different notes combined together, the exhaust gas taking the old path and the gas taking the new path both hitting each other to create a whole new sound like no one has ever heard ( mad scientist hysterical laugh)   :008:

Offline Vet

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Orlando
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 12:50:52 AM »
👍

Offline sdiver68

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: St. Louis
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 12:53:46 AM »
And its good fun to play with stuff and do stupid things just for the sake of it.  :001:

And THAT's what its all about  :821:

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 04:56:25 AM »
That's all very true, but for people like me that have taken off the rear muffler and like that look, it would give the option of maybe a bit more noise without being obnoxious loud like it would be with a centre pipe and no rear muffler. Like if I fit a centre pipe, then I will have to buy a rear slip on muffler to quieten it down a bit.

I was thinking even if the piece did fall in muffler, it would be smaller than the hole you just drilled and a magnet on a stick thing would probably just lift it out with a bit of juggling.
I am tempted to try this to see how it changes the sound, you would get two different notes combined together, the exhaust gas taking the old path and the gas taking the new path both hitting each other to create a whole new sound like no one has ever heard ( mad scientist hysterical laugh)   :008:
I think the exhaust gas taking the old path as it rushes by the new smaller hole creates a low pressure Venturi effect and sucks the exhaust even more. Sort of like a cyclone created in the breadbox. Like a turbo effect creating mucho horsepower.
 :821:

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 03:25:18 AM »
I was curious about the stock muffler too so I chopped the end off. Pretty much the same setup as the breadbox.

Looking into the muffler from the entrance side.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:36:28 AM by iBuchon »

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 05:25:32 AM »
Wow a video as well. Yep they go to a lot of trouble to make this sort of stuff don't they? And then we all take it straight off  :008: Yours is nice and shiny inside, it must have been on the bike for 5 minutes.
I am temped to drill a hole in the bread box and make it a straight path, but I am worried the bike will sound like a muffler with a hole in it, I don't think it would but if it did that wouldn't be nice.

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 12:50:18 PM »
Ibuchon...Gret stuff.  :028:

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
Yep they go to a lot of trouble to make this sort of stuff don't they? And then we all take it straight off

:745: Every time something like this is posted on the internet at least 2 exhaust engineers can be heard quietly sobbing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:14:42 PM by iBuchon »