Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Need advice on clutch.  (Read 5617 times)

Offline RidinNOVA

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: NOVA
Re: Need advice on clutch.
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zrider [+]
the lever pull isn't much heavier or at least for me it isn't. and yes the heavier springs or possibly the better friction plates don't allow the clutch to slip as freely if you just drop a gear and dump the clutch. I don't ever ride like that and always rev match on downshifts but did it to see if it made a difference in the way the slipper functioned.

I had similar issues with the Z not holding power up top. I also opted for the Brock's springs earlier this year before I replaced the clutch. The lever pull wasn't much different and I always rev match even when carving back roads, it's like second nature so I'm not 100% sure if it affected the slipper function. I have rev matched on the way down with RPM's up close to 9k and have never once had the rear end get bouncy on me, so it's definitely doing something.

The one thing that I did do differently when I got around to changing the clutch a few months ago. I replaced the friction plates and steel plates all in one go. I ordered the parts off of Babbits. My bike never held power at the top of the rev range the way it does now. I've had the new clutch in for a few months and it pulls so much harder still.

So, for anyone reading this I'd definitely recommend the heavier springs as a starting option. They are very easy to swap out and took me all of an hour start to finish. Even rebuilding the clutch didn't take that long if anyone else gets to that point and it's super easy.

Offline mrpacisnod

• Z900 Member
  • Im gonna ride till i cant no more
  • Bike: 2017 Kawasaki Z900
  • Town / City: los angeles
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 01:23:16 PM »
As far as testing if the slipper function works. You have to downshift without rev matching.

Offline mrpacisnod

• Z900 Member
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 01:45:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by RidinNOVA [+]
I had similar issues with the Z not holding power up top. I also opted for the Brock's springs earlier this year before I replaced the clutch. The lever pull wasn't much different and I always rev match even when carving back roads, it's like second nature so I'm not 100% sure if it affected the slipper function. I have rev matched on the way down with RPM's up close to 9k and have never once had the rear end get bouncy on me, so it's definitely doing something.

The one thing that I did do differently when I got around to changing the clutch a few months ago. I replaced the friction plates and steel plates all in one go. I ordered the parts off of Babbits. My bike never held power at the top of the rev range the way it does now. I've had the new clutch in for a few months and it pulls so much harder still.

So, for anyone reading this I'd definitely recommend the heavier springs as a starting option. They are very easy to swap out and took me all of an hour start to finish. Even rebuilding the clutch didn't take that long if anyone else gets to that point and it's super easy.

Did you notice the clutch slipping after installing the brocks springs?

Offline RidinNOVA

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: NOVA
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 01:49:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by mrpacisnod [+]
Did you notice the clutch slipping after installing the brocks springs?

It was slipping bad before I used them and got about another 2k miles before the slipping started up again. I inspected the plates when I did the springs and noticed they were very worn so I was happy to get a bit more mileage.

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »
I reckon my springs will arrive in a few days. I'll inspect the clutch pack and hopefully won't need any new parts. I'm never anywhere near red line and only once noticed the clutch slipping at around 6500-7000 RPM in sixth gear.
I tried, albeit not too hard, to duplicate the slippage but was happily unsuccessful so I think my frictions and steels are ok.

Offline Zrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: syracuse NY
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »
Replacing my springs and frictions was the best performance upgrade ive made to this bike. Even though it was a simple preventative maint repair its gained more performance than an entire exhaust system and ecu flash combined. Before any of you change parts take your bike to your local twisties. Coming out of corner in third gear just roll on the throttle and see how the bike accelerates. Then replace the springs and other parts you want to. Head back to twisties and repeat process. Ive always been able to hammer this bike wide open in third gear coming out of corners, cant even get nearly into it now it just launches itself.

Offline mrpacisnod

• Z900 Member
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2019, 03:10:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zrider [+]
Replacing my springs and frictions was the best performance upgrade ive made to this bike. Even though it was a simple preventative maint repair its gained more performance than an entire exhaust system and ecu flash combined. Before any of you change parts take your bike to your local twisties. Coming out of corner in third gear just roll on the throttle and see how the bike accelerates. Then replace the springs and other parts you want to. Head back to twisties and repeat process. Ive always been able to hammer this bike wide open in third gear coming out of corners, cant even get nearly into it now it just launches itself.

Already ordered plates and bricks springs. Cant wait to install and test

Offline GatorZ

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: NH
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2019, 11:13:16 PM »
How are the power wheelies with this set up?

Offline quantum

• Z900 Pro
  • 63.1% on the squidometer
  • Town / City: Navarre FL
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2019, 04:31:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by mrpacisnod [+]
Already ordered plates and bricks springs. Cant wait to install and test
does anywhere sell an aftermarket clutch pack kit?
who are you to tell me i can't smoke a cigar and eat a cheeseburger while texting on my motorcycle?!?!?!?

IG: @moar_beard

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2019, 05:12:12 PM »
I just took the bike out after installing the Brock's springs. EVERYBODY needs to do this mod whether your clutch has slipped or not.

The clutch engages more positively with a better feel at the lever for what it is doing. There is more pull needed at the lever but only slightly, it is still a light clutch. This is how the Z should have been shipped from the factory.
I don't know how much the slipper function has been compromised but in the over two years I've owned it I don't think i ever used it once.

I never worked on this type of clutch before so I followed the procedure in the manual to remove the side cover. After removing the bolts you have to turn the actuator rod about 180 degrees counter clockwise to release the mechanism inside, then the cover pulls right off with no tapping. This can be done if you remove the cable from the handlebar lever.

No oil comes out with the bike on its side stand and the gasket can be reused. I followed the tightening sequence.
There are two solid locator pins in the case that are set at a slight angle which makes them appear bent (to me anyways). No worries.

This easy peasy mod makes me love the Z even more.  :028: