Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Setting rear preload?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline bmartinZ900

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Denver CO
Re: Setting rear preload?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 07:57:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by zeta [+]
I know "nothing" about shocks, what is the best shock for the Z?

Listen to what this guy tells you and you will no longer know "nothing" about suspension. I too had no knowledge of motorcycle suspension. That was remedied by reading Matt's post history.

Offline bootstrapjesse

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Fort Worth
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 02:50:53 AM »
I know "nothing" about shocks, what is the best shock for the Z?

Ohlins STX46 looks like a great solution with support for the Z900.  Fully adjustable compression and rebound dampening, AND it has a remote hydraulic spring preload adjuster; so the bike wont have to be lifted or the shock be removed for adjustment. Its going for about $900 retail.

https://www.ohlins.com/product/stx-46-supersport/

Offline Forks-by-Matt

• Approved Vendor
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Springfield, VA
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 04:35:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by bootstrapjesse [+]
Ohlins STX46 looks like a great solution with support for the Z900.
You'd like to think so, but not really
https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/motorcycle/ka-737--6114/

Rebound, preload, and thankfully length, but NO compression adjuster. IMO the Nitron NTR1 is the better product at a lower price. Add about $250US if you want remote-preload like the Ohlins but since you can orient the Nitron "backwards" remote preload doesn't make much sense.
Good suspension doesn't have to be expensive.

Offline bootstrapjesse

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Fort Worth
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 12:11:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Forks-by-Matt [+]
You'd like to think so, but not really
https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/motorcycle/ka-737--6114/

Rebound, preload, and thankfully length, but NO compression adjuster. IMO the Nitron NTR1 is the better product at a lower price. Add about $250US if you want remote-preload like the Ohlins but since you can orient the Nitron "backwards" remote preload doesn't make much sense.

Good info. Thanks Matt. It's something I'll do in the future. I'm gonna check out the Nitron NTR1. Can you recommend a retailer I can trust to configure it properly, or should I order it directly from Nitron? I live in Texas.  Additional, I wonder if Penske will roll something out for the Z900 any time in the near future?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:15:13 PM by bootstrapjesse »

Offline Forks-by-Matt

• Approved Vendor
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Springfield, VA
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by bootstrapjesse [+]
Can you recommend a retailer I can trust to configure it properly
Configure how? Order you the correct spring? I guess it's not obvious I'm a suspension vendor here?
  • Ohlins
  • Nitron
  • Andreani
  • K-Tech
  • JRI1

I work very closely with the Nitron importer. Nitron builds custom shocks for me - or at least they tolerate my requests.
I also work very closely with K-Tech USA - I "harass" their poor sales guy about weekly. :)  They made engineering changes to the Razor line after a bit of lively email correspondence about 2 years ago. (man, has it been that long?) Andreani too changed their cartridge a bit after some emails, but alas not their valving.

Additional, I wonder if Penske will roll something out for the Z900 any time in the near future?
Eventually I'm sure.

1. Penske "clone" but more like spinoff. Will check-in to see how they're doing these days.
Good suspension doesn't have to be expensive.

Offline zeta

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 12:12:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by bmartinZ900 [+]
This is key. Hammer and punch is how I did it. Punch down on the top ring to loosen it. Then punch up for about 30 mins on the bottom one. I took a few breaks, but total punching time to achieve 10 turns was about 30 mins. Then I figured that was to far so about another 10 min punching time going the other way. It's quite satisfying when you get a groove going.

I made a simple DIY punching tool (well, just added some shrink wrap on a bolt really) and I have now adjusted the ring 7 turns in, but not locked the position with the lock ring yet. I'm some 115 kg (254 lbs) with the gear on, how does 7 turns sound like, is it enough? I'm unable to test ride the bike for maybe 3 months, winter sucks. How much do you weigh and what was your final setting?

Offline MiNuS31

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS...
  • Town / City: Houston, TX
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »
Ima have the dealer do mine when i take tires to get put on...im a bigger guy...

Offline zeta

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 04:24:25 PM »
I made a simple DIY punching tool (well, just added some shrink wrap on a bolt really) and I have now adjusted the ring 7 turns in, but not locked the position with the lock ring yet. I'm some 115 kg (254 lbs) with the gear on, how does 7 turns sound like, is it enough? I'm unable to test ride the bike for maybe 3 months, winter sucks. How much do you weigh and what was your final setting?

I now locked it and will see next spring what it feels like. I guess there is no definitive answer to what is the 'right' position but it's up to you what feels right. I did not have any major issues with the factory setting, but I generally don't like a bike (or a car for that matter) to feel soft, especially when riding fast. But I'm not an expert so this is experimenting and I go by the gut feeling.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »
I now locked it and will see next spring what it feels like. I guess there is no definitive answer to what is the 'right' position but it's up to you what feels right. I did not have any major issues with the factory setting, but I generally don't like a bike (or a car for that matter) to feel soft, especially when riding fast. But I'm not an expert so this is experimenting and I go by the gut feeling.

Were a similar weight. Be careful of giving it too much preload, I adjusted mine to the point where it seemed like I was getting about the right amount of rider sag, but by doing so, I had no static sag left. If youve adjusted your preload that far, make sure that the shock isnt topped out without you on the bike.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 07:56:14 PM »

Zeta, if it is Winter and you really want to learn how to set it up properly the watch the videos in post 1 and 3 here, the Max series in post 3 was the best thing I ever watched on suspension. https://www.z900forum.com/index.php/topic,1465.0.html
I have a feeling you might need a heavier rear spring, minimum to get sag right, but when you do your sag measurement's correctly it will tell you.
I have been playing heaps with the sag and geometry and for me 30mm front and rear rider sag, with 20mm front and 10mm rear free sag seems to be about perfect, it handles for me like a moto gp bike  :001: I am still experimenting, still waiting for new rear shock to turn up  :157: