Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Puig Touring Screen  (Read 1434 times)

Offline stroh

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: z900, cx500 cafe
  • Town / City: bay city
Puig Touring Screen
« on: May 29, 2018, 04:14:03 AM »
I put on a few rides with the Puig touring screen and figured I would write a couple sentences about it..  The OEM tall screen is a noticeable step up over the short screen where the Puig is a half step up over the tall screen.  I tested all 3 back to back one day and the Puig allowed me to cruise without much wind pressure up to about 78-80mph.  The same effect on the OEM tall screen was about 70-73mph and the short OEM screen came in around 60-64mph. 

Overall, I like it a lot from a functional stand point even though it looks the least attractive of the 3.  I plan on keeping it on as it works for what I need it for.  I will mention that it mounts a little different in that it uses raisers bolts on top of the OEM short screen.  Since you don't remove the short screen you don't see into the nose cavity like some screens.  However, it looks a little weird from the cockpit seeing both screens on top of each other.  You don't see it from the front or side views though.

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
Re: Puig Touring Screen
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
That's all good info. I was just looking at some videos of that screen today and was wondering what it was like. I wonder what it would be like at higher speeds, like in that sort of 160 to 200kph range, not that I go there of course, but just wondering  :015: I can only imagine that the wind would start to wear you down after 5 or 10mins at those speeds on the long straights etc.  :033:
 :305:

Offline Mikerz900

• Z900 Member
  • "Crazy like a beaver I am!"
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Toronto
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:01:33 PM »
How quickly would you say the Puig can be taken off/put on the stock screen (if you leave the little sockets for it in permanently)? I've been considering this Puig and the MRA, but the Puig looks like it would cut a little more wind pressure...and something that could pop on for longer trips and stay off he rest of the time with relative ease would be ideal.

Cheers!

*Originally Posted by stroh [+]
... I will mention that it mounts a little different in that it uses raisers bolts on top of the OEM short screen.  Since you don't remove the short screen you don't see into the nose cavity like some screens.  However, it looks a little weird from the cockpit seeing both screens on top of each other.  You don't see it from the front or side views though.

Offline cobman

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bucks
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 09:34:26 AM »
I know this thread is quite old, but I've just got myself the PUIG Touring screen (light smoke - it was on offer) https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windshields-specific-for-non-round-headlights/naked-new-generation-touring?bike=12908 The website also has some interesting air flow data too.

I should have done my research before hand, but once I got the touring screen I realised it didn't fit on the Z900 Performance Edition screen  :157: . This is due to the PE screen having a different mounting bracket as it's a taller screen.
With this mounting bracket, there are two 'push fit' type plastic fasteners instead of the some 5mm well nuts which the shorter original screens use.

Looking at some parts diagrams, I managed to find the relevant well nuts (Part Number 920151757), direct from Kawasaki for around 3.50 each (you will need two!). They are available elsewhere though it seems.

This allows the screen to be fitted, but as the mentioned previously the nose cavity is on display (and all that's inside). This isn't so much a problem for me, but I have noticed there's a fairly large gap between the screen and the light cluster body work, which in wetter weather will allow much greater water ingress into that area, which may or may not be a problem. What it does give, is plenty of space to add a Sat Nav/Phone mount for example.

It's a fairly easy fit - the Puig screen & bracket came pre-assembled (not sure if it's the norm) so it was a bit fiddly tightening the Allen key bolts to the bike (as they're under the screen), but still only took around 20 minutes to fit.
I think you can detach the screen from the bracket which I haven't tried, but if you can, I would think you could do it in half the time.

Offline rodoaloy

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Buenos Aires
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by cobman [+]
I know this thread is quite old, but I've just got myself the PUIG Touring screen (light smoke - it was on offer) https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windshields-specific-for-non-round-headlights/naked-new-generation-touring?bike=12908 The website also has some interesting air flow data too.

I should have done my research before hand, but once I got the touring screen I realised it didn't fit on the Z900 Performance Edition screen  :157: . This is due to the PE screen having a different mounting bracket as it's a taller screen.
With this mounting bracket, there are two 'push fit' type plastic fasteners instead of the some 5mm well nuts which the shorter original screens use.

Looking at some parts diagrams, I managed to find the relevant well nuts (Part Number 920151757), direct from Kawasaki for around 3.50 each (you will need two!). They are available elsewhere though it seems.

This allows the screen to be fitted, but as the mentioned previously the nose cavity is on display (and all that's inside). This isn't so much a problem for me, but I have noticed there's a fairly large gap between the screen and the light cluster body work, which in wetter weather will allow much greater water ingress into that area, which may or may not be a problem. What it does give, is plenty of space to add a Sat Nav/Phone mount for example.

It's a fairly easy fit - the Puig screen & bracket came pre-assembled (not sure if it's the norm) so it was a bit fiddly tightening the Allen key bolts to the bike (as they're under the screen), but still only took around 20 minutes to fit.
I think you can detach the screen from the bracket which I haven't tried, but if you can, I would think you could do it in half the time.

Hi there! Can you please tell me your experience with this windshield? How tall are you? Did you feel any vibrations or turbulence in your helmet at high speeds? (around 130 km/H - 90 mph)?

Thanks in advance!
Rodo

Offline cobman

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bucks
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 10:38:32 PM »
Hello!

I'd recommend this screen for touring. I did a 270 odd mile trip the other day, and I didn't notice any excessive turbulence or vibrations around the helmet. Only what I would consider normal for being on a motorbike, when not tucked in directly behind the screen.

I'm not sure it necessarily reduces the wind pressure on the shoulder/head area, but certainly does in the chest. In fact PUIG has a very good website, which contains some aero datasheets, showing the air flow of the OEM vs PUIG screens, with a reduced load rating which is worth a look!

I managed to get mine at a reduced price (around 60) and I'd say worth the cost even if paying full price, especially for those longer rides!

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 03:02:58 AM »
 Hello, I recently bought the same screen and going from oem tall screen to this one I haven't noticed much difference except when you tuck in behind it. I had to move the threaded rubber grommets at top to the lower holes that had plastic plugs at blinker area due to taller oem mounting bracket installed on my bike. It was a little extra work but not too bad. If I had to due again I would rather keep Oem tall screen as it looks way better and not much difference on wind buffeting in my opinion. I'm 5'10".

Offline rodoaloy

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Buenos Aires
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 04:39:31 PM »
Thanks both! I am deciding between the MRA and the Puig Touring screen. Although the MRA is only 34 cms, it has a double bubble and has good reviews as well.

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 06:58:09 PM »
Wish I would have went with MRA but was trying to save a couple dollars and the Puig looked like it would have better results.