Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Pilot Road 5's  (Read 11227 times)

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
Re: Michelin Pilot Road 5's
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I don't suppose your YouTube gravel hoonng exploits help tyre life much.

Oh yeah, and that too  :001:

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2019, 06:09:31 PM »
Another update on the tyres. Had another look at them today when I got home and the front is toast at 6,500 miles. Have a look at the picture, the edges of the tread are lifting (red circle), smooth to the wear bar on the outer edges but still got meat left on the inside edge of the tread??? (green circle), and cracking inside the tread pattern all the way round the tyre (blue circle). Replacement ordered for Tuesday but Ive got to say Im disappointed. The rear tyre is looking like itll be good for 10,000 miles. Will replace the front this time round to keep the same tyres front and rear, but if the replacement wears out in a similar mileage then the pair will need replacing together. At that point I think Ill give the Continental road attack 3s a go.

Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online cjskinner

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Quebec
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2019, 06:41:42 PM »
I'll look into mine when I come back from vacation. I have near 10k km on it and seem in really good shape!

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by cjskinner [+]
I'll look into mine when I come back from vacation. I have near 10k km on it and seem in really good shape!

10,000 km is near as damn it the same as mine is on. As before, rear tyres seem to do really well but the front is shot. Guessing my weight and poor front suspension are the main culprits.
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online cjskinner

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2019, 07:48:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
10,000 km is near as damn it the same as mine is on. As before, rear tyres seem to do really well but the front is shot. Guessing my weight and poor front suspension are the main culprits.

I've been riding with all my bags and Gf a few times. Only thing I saw is that my rear tire flattened a little bit because of the 1400 km ride. I had to take the highway for 5 hours straight. I'm always looking at the tire pressure and never saw something similar to the cracks you have.

Did you exceed the tire weight maximum? haha  :004:

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2019, 02:09:43 AM »
RobZ...What is the date code on those tires?
They should be recent as they are a new model. I've only noticed that cracking on old tires.  :084:

Online cjskinner

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2019, 03:33:44 PM »
This is what mines looks like

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2019, 03:38:19 PM »
RobZ may have a heat/tire inflation issue.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
RobZ may have a heat/tire inflation issue.

Been watching some of the Dave Moss videos. There was one where he showed different types of wear and explained what caused it. From what I saw, my best guess is that its an issue caused by incorrect spring rate/valving meaning the front is bouncing up and down rather than keeping constant pressure on the wheel, or as Mr. Moss likes to describe it - po-going down the road.