Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Damaged engine mount threads installing crash bars  (Read 8721 times)

Offline OneOfTheNobodies

• Z900 Pro
  • OneOfTheNobodies
Re: Damaged engine mount threads installing crash bars
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 02:34:54 PM
When I bought the same crashbars for my Z many said it was a easy install and I could do it my self .. I was tempted but was scared to remove a  engine bolt since I did not have anything to jack under the bike .. so I decided to pay a good local shop to do it for me .. and lucky me !! .. After the install the mechanic came out and said that he did not torque one of the engine bolts up to spec as the instruction stated .. he was sure that the torque was WAY to high and it would snap the bolt or strip the thread if he tried it .. so he torqued it up under the spec and told me not to worry about it and it would not come loose .. damn lucky I did not try this my self .. he said it is wierd since sw motech is a good brand with usually good instructions and hardware but for this one bolt the torque was way to high . . two years later and still no loose bolt :)
Z900 2018 Black - Full Akrapovic system - Rear Seat Cowl - Rizoma Reverse Radial  - Rizoma levers - Rizoma Bobbins 8x35 - Rizoma Footpegs - Rizoma turnsignal - Rizoma Numberplate - Radiator Guard - SW Motech Kickstand Enlarger - SW Motech Crash Bars - SW Motech Micro Tankbag - Eazi Grip Tank Protector - Luimoto Seat Cover+Gold Gel - HealTech Break Light Pro - Oxford HeatedGrips

Online EspooRider

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: ESPOO
Reply #21 on: September 13, 2021, 09:27:33 AM
Important update: The engine sagging issue also applies to 2020 model year EU spec(only 1000km driven when I attempted to install the sliders)

After reading all the posts here, I bought the Puig R12 frame slider and started installing myself-Took out the left engine mounting bolt first, the engine sagged a tiny bit but the frame slider was able to went in with a little force. After torquing to spec(54nm according to Puig), I took out the right side bolt and all hell broke loose... The engine sagged ~ 0.5 mm both downward and backward. Then we spent the weekend trying different angle, buying floorjack and put it under the black flat surfsce under the engine, etc. The hole finally aligned somewhat after the floorjack lifted the engine~ 10-15cm. Frame slider still won't go in but the original engine bolt went in fine, torqued both side to 40nm to avoid any possiblr thread damage. Today I finally got time at dealership to install the sliders the proper way, and they were really surprised, this is the first time they saw z900 engine sagging while installing frame sliders. Anyways, professionals got it in with the help of jacks:)

My suggestion to all fellow riders: Let the mechanic install it for you when going in for service, etc- the risk of you messing up is too high and like my bike, when it happens it's extremely difficult to align the holes if engine also dropped backwards.

Hope this helps someone out there.
EspooRider

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 10:58:01 AM
 Torques for engine mounts.
 Upper front (where single point sliders go) 59 Nm
 All the others. 44Nm

Probably worth checking that ALL the engine mounts are tightened to spec BEFORE removing any other bolt to mount sliders.
 I'm surprised single point sliders present an engine slippage issue. Maybe not all the other fixings were as tight as they should have been?
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Online EspooRider

• Z900 Junior Member
Reply #23 on: September 13, 2021, 11:02:22 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Torques for engine mounts.
 Upper front (where single point sliders go) 59 Nm
 All the others. 44Nm

Probably worth checking that ALL the engine mounts are tightened to spec BEFORE removing any other bolt to mount sliders.
 I'm surprised single point sliders present an engine slippage issue. Maybe not all the other fixings were as tight as they should have been?

I will never know, but would expect all other bolts are in spec, as the bike went through the dealership first service.

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2021 Versys 10000
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #24 on: September 13, 2021, 12:29:11 PM
*Originally Posted by EspooRider [+]
I will never know, but would expect all other bolts are in spec, as the bike went through the dealership first service.

First new bike ?
One thing I have learned over the days is the techs that are doing basic maintenance are techs that are just starting out / learning. That is awesome and need a start but I prefer to do a sanity check for my peice of mind and safety.
Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:29:56 PM by ras
2021 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #25 on: September 13, 2021, 02:21:43 PM
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
First new bike ?
One thing I have learned over the days is the techs that are doing basic maintenance are techs that are just starting out / learning. That is awesome and need a start but I prefer to do a sanity check for my peice of mind and safety.

100% agree.
 Techs are also working under the constraints of time = money.
  Can't find it now but there is a YouTube video of a Z900 with a cracked frame caused by loose engine bolts.
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #26 on: September 13, 2021, 02:26:01 PM
First new bike ?

Exactly Ray, with a service manual I'm just as good at turning a wrench as they are- and it's my bike to F up....

I put the T-Rex frame sliders on with no problems at all- bike on a rear stand and 1 bolt out / in at a time.
Don't see how an engine can move enough by just removing a bolt?  What is there 4 holding it in place?  :027:
"The ride is the reason"

Online RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #27 on: September 13, 2021, 08:24:40 PM
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]
Don't see how an engine can move enough by just removing a bolt?  What is there 4 holding it in place?  :027:

According to the 2017-2019 service manual, there are 6 engine mounting bolts... Upper Front, Upper Rear, and Middle Front.

Offline Its about speed

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: REDDING, CA
Reply #28 on: September 13, 2021, 10:59:41 PM
My 2 cents ...

On Saturday I installed SW-Motech crashbars on my Grandson's new Honda. Previously I had installed them on my z900.  The z900 was easy, the Honda was a handfull.

I discovered the Honda frame tabs, engine mounts, were welded out of alignment. The engine and SW bars were correct. Jacking the engine exacerbated the non-fit, jacking the frame was the cure.

The bolts supplied by SW are case hardened socket head cap screws, top of the line, better than OEM. All 4 bolts are a different length. The engineered SW drawings correctly explained the correct placement. If someone misplaced the bolts they could strip the engine cases ... too long or too short.

One more time ...the product is higher quality than OEM and beyond the casual installer.

Online EspooRider

• Z900 Junior Member
Reply #29 on: September 13, 2021, 11:25:57 PM
First new bike ?

Hahah yes first new bike... I'd expect that kawasaki take care of these basic things though, if the engine sagged really due to incorrect torque spec on other mounting bolts-Are we really in 2021?