Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Headers  (Read 11550 times)

Offline univex

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900 2017
Re: New Headers
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2019, 09:55:38 AM »
As I can hear the loudness is much better, even with 2 baffles in. What kind of baffle did you use as second baffle? I see you have one at the tip of the muffler, the second one must be between the end of the header and the muffler I guess?

I just ordered the headers at our Chinese friends. Hope it will arrive very soon. I keep you guys posted!

Offline MZ900

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: KLP
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2019, 10:46:43 AM »
Its only with 1db killer , the one you can observe in the tip of slip on.
I tested 3 options:
1st db killer between headers link pipe and slip on( insert tube ,cat look-a-like) - quite loud
2nd db killer as in 1st + that slip on tip, dampens too much :D
3rd only 1 as in video, and its best. Not only about sound delivery but and the power output.

I cant explain this phisics, but in terms of feelings, like the bike runs, its best option now. Feels like, bike breathes easy in comparison to options 1 and 2.

Without any db killer its freaking loud and popping.

Here you can see, no popping. It happens ocasionally. My AiS not blocked.

Next season i want Woolich ECu flash

Offline BartZ

• Z900 Member
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2019, 12:02:03 PM »
So just to sum up, is the overall consensus that the Aliexpress headers are as good as the Akrapovic in terms of performance and functionality? (I expect finish may be not as good and the materials used slightly different).

Like with the genuine article you don't need to block AiS or flash ECU.

You leave the original O2 sensor in place and the original can with the DB killer inside to prevent popping and there should be no error codes.

All that for 1/3 of the price without any negative impact on the bike. Am i getting this right?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:18:33 PM by BartZ »

Offline MZ900

• Z900 Master
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »
Correct

Offline Marco

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 Performance Ed
  • Town / City: Carrickfergus
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
+1
I've got the Delkevic headers and they are pitting badly.
Z900 Performance Edition  Akrapovic ASZT can Delkevic headers  Bar end mirrors  High seat  R&G rad guard   R&G tail tidy  Chinese levers Hyperpro fork spring kit.  Supersprox Stealth rear sprocket.  Nitron NTR1 shock absorber.

Offline MZ900

• Z900 Master
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
Need to inspect mine. But yesterday i gave her a washing, havent seen anything bad to headers.

Offline BartZ

• Z900 Member
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2019, 03:45:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by MZ900 [+]
Correct
:028: Thanks, in that case that's another mod added to a waiting list.

Offline MZ900

• Z900 Master
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2019, 08:57:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Marco [+]
+1
I've got the Delkevic headers and they are pitting badly.

Here is mine, bought in may 2018

Offline Flyingraptor

• Z900 Member
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
On page 6 in this topic, Simoncrp proposed the following:

I am no exhaust expert so have a question. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of installing just a link pipe (link below) rather than changing the entire headers? I assume one advantage of the link pipe is that I would be keeping the O2 sensor, but is there any reason to spend the extra money and change the headers as well?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Z900-Stainless-De-cat-exhaust-pipe-C-W-clamp-and-brackets-NOT-RS-MODEL/183483613182

To which MZ900 replied:

Advantage (for me) less popping and not so loud due cat in place.  And one more , this still oem headers, designed for z9, and not a chinapovic welder

And Simoncrp again:

.but as I wrote previously, this ling pipe is designed for the CAT to be removed.

And then RobZ900:

If the link pipe removes the cat, then theres no real advantage to a full set of headers over the link pipe as the stock headers arent a bad design before the cat and breadbox. Only thing for me is that the stock headers will be more stained from use which will contrast with the link pipe badly, though I suppose the link pipe would fade to match over time. Dont know about weight either. Maybe a set of aftermarket headers are lighter than stock, maybe not. I know a full system gives significant weight savings as youre losing the breadbox etc, but what the stock downpipes weigh in comparison to aftermarket may be different.

Finally, Cazzy_R said:

Unless you know an extremely talented welder it's far easier to revert to stock with a header.
 If you wanted/needed to revert to stock after going the link pipe route factor in 100-150 for a second hand stock exhaust.
 Aftermarket headers have an O2 port too BTW.

Unfortunately, I still don't get it.  :084:

What is the disadvantage of the aftermarket link pipe versus the aftermarket headers?
At first glance, it looks like the best option: you can keep the factory headers (which are quite good), you save the trouble in installing the aftermarket headers (which seems a bit harder than anticipated by reading the replies in this topic), it also has an O2 port, and it's cheaper than the aftermarket headers.

Why do you guys then go for the aftermarket headers option (besides aesthetics, having the same colour of stainless steel for all pipes)?

Does the aftermarket link pipe require welding?

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
 IF you have no interest in returning your bike to stock, in the future, then a de-cat pipe is the most cost effective option.
 All the link pipes I have seen clamp onto the header stub that remains after the cat/breadbox is sawn off.

Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.