Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dunlop GP D212  (Read 2063 times)

Offline George26

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z 900
  • Town / City: Odense
Dunlop GP D212
« on: October 14, 2018, 06:58:09 AM »
Hi, I drive agresive in the corners and I want the most stikky tires I can find, I find  the D212 are they over kill on the road ?
Sorry for my bad english

Offline Jasper

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Copenhagen
Re: Dunlop GP D212
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 12:23:16 PM »
Hi George

Your driving style and the standard Dunlop D212 tires are a bad combination! Check this video especially at 8:25 and forward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBkiQLP5Hp0

Use the search fun
*Originally Posted by George26 [+]
Hi, I drive agresive in the corners and I want the most stikky tires I can find, I find  the D212 are they over kill on the road ?
Sorry for my bad english
ction of this excellent forum. Lots of threads and discussions for better tires  :001:

Offline Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jasper [+]
Hi George

Your driving style and the standard Dunlop D212 tires are a bad combination! Check this video especially at 8:25 and forward:

:001:
That was a bit of a hairy moment!

Offline Marco

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 Performance Ed
  • Town / City: Carrickfergus
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 02:34:23 PM »
Hello barrier bye bye leg!
That is exactly what happened to me on the standard tyres on a dry road.
The only place for D214s is the bin.
Z900 Performance Edition  Akrapovic ASZT can Delkevic headers  Bar end mirrors  High seat  R&G rad guard   R&G tail tidy  Chinese levers Hyperpro fork spring kit.  Supersprox Stealth rear sprocket.  Nitron NTR1 shock absorber.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 03:44:16 PM »
OP was asking for opinions of D212 not the standard fitment D214 which as illustated in the video know is not a good tyre in a the cold or wet conditions.
 Getting back to the D212; looks to be predominately a trackday tyre so although it may be sticky it will need to get up to it's operating temperature first. So unless you live in a hot climate it probably is not the wisest choice no matter how fast and agressive you are on the street.
More obvious choice sports tyres, for street use, would be Metzeler M7RR, Bridgestone S21 or Michelin Power RS. If you can out ride any of those tyres on the road you have my utmost respect.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
OP was asking for opinions of D212 not the standard fitment D214 which as illustated in the video know is not a good tyre in a the cold or wet conditions.
 Getting back to the D212; looks to be predominately a trackday tyre so although it may be sticky it will need to get up to it's operating temperature first. So unless you live in a hot climate it probably is not the wisest choice no matter how fast and agressive you are on the street.
More obvious choice sports tyres, for street use, would be Metzeler M7RR, Bridgestone S21 or Michelin Power RS. If you can out ride any of those tyres on the road you have my utmost respect.
+1

On a side note, it boggles my mind why Kawasaki put such crap tires on our bikes. I know there is a cost consideration but still....
Probably the guy that designed the shock mount bracket also ordered the tires. That's my only explanation.

Offline George26

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Thanks   :0461: I was looking also at Pirelli rosso corsa 2,  Bridgestone S21 is an good option as well. And no I can not out ride those tires  :001:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:52:12 PM by George26 »

Offline George26

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jasper [+]
Hi George

Use the search function of this excellent forum. Lots of threads and discussions for better tires  :001:
Nice video Jasper I havent seen it before, yes the stock tire are crap.  Just done 950 km. and Next week I am going to change the oil and filter and change the tires as well-

Offline vdog99

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Champaign, IL
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »
Do not use the Dunlop D212 (or any other track/race tire) on your street bike. I have a Z900 as my commuter bike and do about 12 track days a year on a GSX-R600. I have been through lots of tires on both the street and track. I actually ran the D212's on my track bike one summer. Track tires are designed for a type of riding that cannot be achieved on the street. The feel like complete sh*t on the street, and even at novice pace on the track. I found that I get more confidence in track-oriented front tires the harder I trail brake into a corner. They want to be ridden hard. If I don't trail brake, it feels like they have little grip. Also, as another poster already noted, track tires are designed to run at temps that you cannot maintain on the street.

If you want a sticky, grippy, aggressive street tire, go with the Dunlop Q3/Q3+, Metzeler M7RR, Pirelli Diablo, etc. As other posters have already said, there are threads on tire choice on this forum.

Offline Kcklub

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: z900
  • Town / City: key largo florida
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 06:57:26 PM »
Metzeler M7RR tire threads looks good.