Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brand New 2018 Head Gasket Slight Weep  (Read 1010 times)

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Re: Brand New 2018 Head Gasket Slight Weep
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 10:31:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by jfin13 [+]

Thank goodness for factory warranty!
It's a shame they can't assemble these bikes correctly. These are not as well made as the Japanese bikes.

Anywho, good news on what it turned out to be. The dealer should go over all the fasteners.
Check the bolts that hold down the tank covers. Many here have had them go missing, including me. Cheers.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 08:32:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
It's a shame they can't assemble these bikes correctly. These are not as well made as the Japanese bikes.

I agree. However, my understanding is that the engines are still made in Japan and shipped to the assembly plant in Thailand.
I read that the 900RS is built in Japan though.☹️
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline ZROD

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: CBR250/GT650/Z900
  • Town / City: Bangalore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 11:07:58 AM »
When you say liquid, was it oil or antifreeze? Sometimes the cam cover weeps oil and it collects around a protruding head gasket.
Either way I would bring it to the dealer right away to log the issue. They'll most likely tell you it's normal and the gasket will swell up and stop leaking, or some such thing. Don't buy it.

Check your coolant level and give a sniff to the exhaust during a cold start after the bike has been sitting a day. Sometimes you'll smell coolant in the exhaust. I've smelled it on cars anyway. And sometimes it'll steam more than usual depending on how much coolant there is in the cylinders, if there is any problem. Also look for unusual clouding of the oil keeping in mind that some fogging of the sight glass is normal due to condensation.

If a head gasket leaks on the outside it can also leak into the cylinders. A faulty head gasket is bad. Repair requires removing tha e head and installing a new one.

Are you talking about the protruding head gasket on the left side of the engine?
I always wanted to know if its normal to see a bit of the head gasket sticking out of the block  :086:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:09:47 AM by ZROD »

Offline ZROD

• Z900 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 11:19:38 AM »

Anywho, good news on what it turned out to be. The dealer should go over all the fasteners.
Check the bolts that hold down the tank covers. Many here have had them go missing, including me. Cheers.

+1..
I'v had the following bolts simply falling off during various rides

1. Left Foot peg bolt (as a result i had a tough time shifting gears as the entire foot peg would pivot around the single bolt holding it onto the chasis  :157:)
2. Top right Radiator Grill bolt
3. Top left tank cowl bolt (the one that has Kawasaki badging)
4. Bottom Headlight fairing clip (its currently held together with double side tape  :155:)

I frankly did not expect these niggles from a brand like Kawasaki.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 08:25:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZROD [+]
Are you talking about the protruding head gasket on the left side of the engine?
I always wanted to know if its normal to see a bit of the head gasket sticking out of the block  :086:
Yes it's normal.

Offline ZROD

• Z900 Member
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »
Yes it's normal.

Phew.. That's a relief  :028:

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZROD [+]
Phew.. That's a relief  :028:
I don't know why they do it. Perhaps the gasket needs to be wider in some spots for installation purposes.