Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Any advice is helpful  (Read 593 times)

Offline DuhGrinch

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: z900
  • Town / City: Ohio
Any advice is helpful
« on: November 04, 2018, 06:36:27 PM »
Finally got a warm day to ride. Walked my bike out of the garage, go to start it, nothing happens. Lights turn on, blinkers work, horn works and I hear the fuel system do its thing as well. Just when i click the start switch nothing happens, no clicking or anything.

I checked my kill switch, i checked my fuses, made sure i wasn't in gear and everything checked out. I hadn't ridden for probably 2 weeks. About a week and a half ago I had washed my bike and after so started up my bike perfectly fine and normal. A couple days after the wash i disconnected the battery and put it on my tender i have just because i knew i probably wasn't gonna be able to ride because of the weather.

But today like i stated, i put the battery back in made sure everything was connected right but nothing.

Anybody have this happen or know of anything that i am missing? Don't know if this is going to have to be a dealership trip or not so I wanted to ask you guys first.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has any knowledge on this matter

Offline VORKUTA775

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Reno
Re: Any advice is helpful
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 01:35:59 AM »
i had this problem with my klr6450 recently, I just checked all the connections going to the starter and cleaned then, I am sure you probably wont have to clean then since the z900 isnt an off road dual  sport bike like the KLR650 is. but I did that and it started  right up afterwards.  Try that see if it works, if not come and and we can troubleshoot some more.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 Master
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »
I suspect the battery does not have enough oomph to energise the starter.
What's the story with the battery tender? Is it specifically for smaller bateries or can you set the charge rate.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline DuhGrinch

• Z900 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 05:41:44 PM »
Battery tender is the noco genius g1100. Nothing to special about the tender.

I check the voltage in the starter relay and I am getting plenty of voltage in the starter relay.

Called the dealership and they said to check all my connections, check my clutch/try pulling it in for starting it, made sure it wasnt in gear, check my kick stand as well and this was all stuff I had checked out and made sure was all working properly. They said that I was doing everything I should be checking. So I guess I keep trying because the dealership is backed up till December so maybe itll start up one day.

But i guess Ill just keep trying to see if it starts randomly until December when I can get it into the dealership.

Offline Slowsv

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Queensland
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 12:13:01 PM »
Check Fireside's post on main chat board.

Offline Fireside

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: San Diego
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Slowsv [+]
Check Fireside's post on main chat board.

I literally took apart the whole housing that has the start button. I cleaned it out with air, and it now starts.

There are still a few times where it doesn't work, but I just push harder, and it makes the connection. When I have some free time, I'm going to clean it better.

It really caught me by surprise that this little thing was the culprit. I've experienced things with this bike that I've never experienced with any of my other bikes. Haha

Offline VORKUTA775

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Reno
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 03:02:18 AM »
glad you got it working! :152: :152:

Offline DuhGrinch

• Z900 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:24:16 PM »
Why would it be in the housing when its a new bike. What could have gone wrong with it in the housing in just a years time and 2k miles on it??

Thanks for the information on how you fixed yours though!

Offline Marco

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 Performance Ed
  • Town / City: Carrickfergus
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 08:31:53 AM »
Mine sometimes needs 2 or 3 pokes at the button before it turns over so it looks like it's heading the same  way.
Z900 Performance Edition  Akrapovic ASZT can and heat shield  Bar end mirrors  High seat  R&G rad guard   R&G tail tidy  Chinese levers Hyperpro fork spring kit.  Supersprox Stealth rear sprocket.  Nitron NTR1 shock absorber.

Offline Slowsv

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Queensland
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by DuhGrinch [+]
Why would it be in the housing when its a new bike. What could have gone wrong with it in the housing in just a years time and 2k miles on it??

Thanks for the information on how you fixed yours though!
Mine goes back to the dealer tomorrow for the seventh time in seven months, nothing is made like it used to be.