Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clunk sound/jolt, Neutral into 1st gear.  (Read 605 times)

Offline JonZ900

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: London
Clunk sound/jolt, Neutral into 1st gear.
« on: November 07, 2018, 07:04:54 AM »
Bike now at 600 miles.
This has gradually developed over last 300 miles. At new there was a small Click into first, I now get the big Clunk/Jolt.
Went back to Dealer yesterday for first Service / Oil change. He tightened chain a bit, and said, he'd investigated problem, but no action required!
IE, it's a Japanese gearbox,  just live with it and see if it goes away!!
I'd hoped with this particular Japanese Gearbox it would have remained a bit smoother.
It remains mostly good, up and down the rest of the gears. Just N to 1.
Anyone else have this issue? Any Suggestions?
Cheers!

Offline stuartho

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Brisbane
Re: Clunk sound/jolt, Neutral into 1st gear.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:40:00 AM »
Clunk from neutral into first?

Sounds pretty normal to me. Most gear boxes are like this. Dependent on oil youre using and how warm the engine is determines how loud the clunk.
Stay upright!

Online Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:02:54 PM »
Sounds normal to me. Always have a clunk from N to 1st.

Offline JonZ900

• Z900 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:29:15 PM »
Ok cheers, agreed, normal on all my previous bikes.
Just thought this box was smoother, including N-1, certainly started that way.
At least the changes on the move are silky smooth.
Guess I'll have to live with the big Clunk at the lights. Commute in London, so it's a very regular noise!!

Online Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 03:56:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by JonZ900 [+]
Ok cheers, agreed, normal on all my previous bikes.
Just thought this box was smoother, including N-1, certainly started that way.
At least the changes on the move are silky smooth.
Guess I'll have to live with the big Clunk at the lights. Commute in London, so it's a very regular noise!!
Same as me re the commute.
I have a different issue. I have a double clunk quite often when changing from 1st to 2nd. First clunk is the actual gear change and the second one happens when releasing the clutch and you hit the biting point. As you hit the biting point and the gear engages it makes another clunk.

I find sometimes the gear changes are as smooth as butter and can hardly be felt but other times they are quite clunky and can definitely be felt!

Offline JonZ900

• Z900 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 04:57:28 PM »
I'm still refining my driving style to get the smoothest changes that I can.
I find 1-2 and 2-3 are definitely smoother above 4/5k revs. The clunky changes seem to happen from early shifts up, when you're just creeping forward, rather than smoother changes, where you're openening up fully and accelerating into each change.
Again a problem for us London riders!!

Online RobZ900

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simoncrp [+]
Same as me re the commute.
I have a different issue. I have a double clunk quite often when changing from 1st to 2nd. First clunk is the actual gear change and the second one happens when releasing the clutch and you hit the biting point. As you hit the biting point and the gear engages it makes another clunk.

I find sometimes the gear changes are as smooth as butter and can hardly be felt but other times they are quite clunky and can definitely be felt!

Theres another thread on this subject. I have the same double clunk sometimes when changing gear. No real pattern to it, no 2 particular gears its between. Just sometimes its a smooth change and others the second clunk. Holding the clutch in for a split second longer during the gear change seems to help.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 10:04:00 PM »
Jon...What's your idle set at? It should be 1050-1100 RPM.
You can try not shifting to neutral at a set of lights or if you do, try pulling the clutch in for about 10 seconds to release the plates a little better.

Here's something I do on my other bike which has an enormous N to 1st clunk.
I pull in the clutch for 10 seconds while I paddle the bike forward with my feet. Once the bike is rolling and the gears are spinning inside, the clunk is either gone or much less.
That clunk is your dogs on the sides of the gears slamming into each other. It's not good. Chunks of metal can fly off and eventually round them off, which can cause your bike to jump out of gear on hard acceleration.

Offline JonZ900

• Z900 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 10:30:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Jon...What's your idle set at? It should be 1050-1100 RPM.
You can try not shifting to neutral at a set of lights or if you do, try pulling the clutch in for about 10 seconds to release the plates a little better.

Here's something I do on my other bike which has an enormous N to 1st clunk.
I pull in the clutch for 10 seconds while I paddle the bike forward with my feet. Once the bike is rolling and the gears are spinning inside, the clunk is either gone or much less.
That clunk is your dogs on the sides of the gears slamming into each other. It's not good. Chunks of metal can fly off and eventually round them off, which can cause your bike to jump out of gear on hard acceleration.
That's really helpful, thanks.
Yeah idle is at that level, maybe very slightly lower, but very close.
I'll have a practice with those other techniques.
Cheers

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
One thing I forgot, make sure your clutch lever is properly adjusted to insure your releasing the plates all the way. Slack, but not too much.