Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pirelli Angel GT  (Read 7074 times)

Offline JohnCW

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Sydney
Re: Pirelli Angel GT
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 11:37:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zynycalwon [+]
Alrighty then, that was quite verbose. Still doesn't change my experience with no noticeable loss of grip with three sets of Angel GT's (now on a fourth set).  :150:

I fully accept you can't feel the difference in grip and handling between a brand new set of quality tires, and out of shape, hard, totally worn ones.   

I'd be the first to admit I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference carving corners on a Vulcan S either. 
 :150: :150:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:39:30 PM by JohnCW »

Offline Zynycalwon

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:27 PM »
Haha, while the Vulcan S is a cruiser it's a sporty one with a variant of the Ninja 650 engine and a pretty good lean angle. I rode it hard and fast on every ride often straping pegs and wearing the tires almost to the edges in the process. Ultimately got tired of scraping pegs and wanted more power so switched it up to the Z900 which I've so far burned through a set of Angel GT's and am now 400+ miles into the second set.

But to your point, as hard as I ride my tires do not get "out of shape, hard, totally worn". They wear evenly with no visible cupping and the rubber stays pretty soft up to the point they reach the wear mark indicators at which point I promptly replace them. I'm sure they're not as soft as brand new rubber but they still grip the road well enough I don't feel any loss of grip riding as hard as when they're new (I'm not alone here as Canyon Chasers reported the same "no loss of grip throughout life of tire": http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/tire-miles.php). Now I used to worry about losing grip as a tire wears but honestly with good quality tires I think that's more a mental thing than reality especially as my direct experience has proven otherwise. Learn to trust your tires you must!  :002:

Offline JohnCW

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 01:37:31 AM »
Haha, while the Vulcan S is a cruiser it's a sporty one with a variant of the Ninja 650 engine and a pretty good lean angle. I rode it hard and fast on every ride often straping pegs and wearing the tires almost to the edges in the process. Ultimately got tired of scraping pegs and wanted more power so switched it up to the Z900 which I've so far burned through a set of Angel GT's and am now 400+ miles into the second set.

But to your point, as hard as I ride my tires do not get "out of shape, hard, totally worn". They wear evenly with no visible cupping and the rubber stays pretty soft up to the point they reach the wear mark indicators at which point I promptly replace them. I'm sure they're not as soft as brand new rubber but they still grip the road well enough I don't feel any loss of grip riding as hard as when they're new (I'm not alone here as Canyon Chasers reported the same "no loss of grip throughout life of tire": http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/tire-miles.php). Now I used to worry about losing grip as a tire wears but honestly with good quality tires I think that's more a mental thing than reality especially as my direct experience has proven otherwise. Learn to trust your tires you must!  :002:

Fair enough.

But the thing is I have a totally different perspective.  And that is someone who doesn't back off their pace as their tires wear and age, is either (a) not really pushing it that hard in the first place, or is (b) an accident just waiting to happen.

An in-tune experienced rider doesn't even consciously "back-up" as their tires wear/age, they will just automatically adjust their corner speed back a notch or two based upon the feedback the harder worn old tire is giving them.  This whole topic is really a question of 'feel'.  Feel is inseparable from 'grip', it is just the other side of the same coin.  The switched on rider constantly changes their pace based upon a whole set of variables including tire age/wear e.g. new or old (polished) road surface, dry or damp, etc..   And the bottom line is old hard worn tires do not (cannot) give the same level of positive feel back to the rider.

The reason I'm 'rabbiting on' with this aspect has nothing to do with the merits or otherwise of Angle GT tires.  What I'm actually addressing is the commonly asked question of 'how many miles do you get out of a set of XYZ brand tires?'  Answer:  How long is a piece of string?  Someone may replace their tires when the cords are showing, another person when they are down to the wear marks, another when the rear is sufficiently  squared off.   Me, I replace mine whenever I feel performance has dropped below a certain level.  And that level is determined solely by 'feel'.  The only reason for looking at the tire may be to establish what may be causing this performance drop e.g. should I run different tire pressures in future, etc.  If money were no object, I'd fit new tires every month.

P.S.  A good cornering cruiser, is that what is know as an 'oxymoron'?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:47:42 AM by JohnCW »

Offline JohnCW

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 04:36:34 AM »
I'm not alone here as Canyon Chasers reported the same "no loss of grip throughout life of tire": http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/tire-miles.php). Now I used to worry about losing grip as a tire wears but honestly with good quality tires I think that's more a mental thing than reality especially as my direct experience has proven otherwise. Learn to trust your tires you must!  :002:

Seeing your a fan of Canyon Chasers, might want to get in contact with them and tell them their video "Seven Tips to Become a Better, Faster, and  Safer Motorcycle Rider" has a major error at the 0.56 second mark ...... right where the presenter says "the first step is to have nice fresh tires"

mD2n80Dtxrk[/youtube] frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>]<iframe width="900" height="506" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/url]

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:40:20 AM by JohnCW »

Offline Zynycalwon

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 11:46:47 PM »
Depends on the day and how I feel whether it's not pushing it hard enough or an accident waiting to happen.  :008:  Seriously though I get where you're coming from and can relate. I've been riding now for 33 years and would like to think I'm a "in-tune experienced rider" (ex. not a single incident so far). I don't think about this stuff most of the time, just feel it as you say. Some days I'm in the zone and ride right at the edge, others days not so much and I get a reality check. Either way I think we've both made our respective points, so rabbit on if you wish I'm done and moving on...  :002:

Offline Arorao11

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: San Antonio
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 01:31:09 AM »
Since we are talking bout Angel gt... anyone tried the angel gt2?

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Arorao11 [+]
Since we are talking bout Angel gt... anyone tried the angel gt2?
If I were to get the Angel I would go for the 2. Tire manufacturers are constantly trying to improve their tires.
I have not researched them as I didn't buy the Angel gt.
You pays your money and you take your chances.

Offline Zynycalwon

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 05:18:54 PM »
Plan to try the Angel GT II's soon (have less than 2K left on current set of GT's) and will report back. That is if I don't switch to a FJR1300 first, seriously considering it as I'm really tired of chain maintenance and would also like something more suited to longer rides. We'll see still on the fence about it, but either way will still be going with the GT II's at some point (would be a great tire for the FJR as well).  :002:

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »
Plan to try the Angel GT II's soon (have less than 2K left on current set of GT's) and will report back. That is if I don't switch to a FJR1300 first, seriously considering it as I'm really tired of chain maintenance and would also like something more suited to longer rides. We'll see still on the fence about it, but either way will still be going with the GT II's at some point (would be a great tire for the FJR as well).  :002:

I'll do the same if the reviews are good or there are no reviews available. My MR5s might have some 5000 kms life left (the front possibly has more to go), so we are talking about a few weeks if the weather gets warmer.  :001: I'm happy with the MR5s, it's just that who knows if I'm even happier with the new Angels, the only way to know is to test them out.

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »
Placed an order and Angel GT II's are now on the way.