Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: "Pros/Cons Of Bigger Tire?"...  (Read 797 times)

JohnCW, zed9 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MiNuS31

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS...
  • Town / City: Houston, TX
Re: "Pros/Cons Of Bigger Tire?"...
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 03:36:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
Everyone's advice is good. I agree, stick with the 180 on this bike, good tyres on this bike, set the spring preloads to suit your weight and get the bikes geometry right, and this bike is a magnificent handling beast, it just does it so easy. I have Road 5's and am never putting anything else on this bike.
Ride safe.

Yea everyday I switch between getting Rosso 3s or Angel GTs...ill just buy something in 2 weeks to end the flip flopping...

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 04:06:17 PM »
First off, you're putting a 190 on a wheel sized for a 180. A 190 requires a six inch wheel so you'll be changing the tires designed profile.
I know you want a certain look but the z900 is such a sweet handling bike I don't know why you'd consider a tire that will slow down the turn in?

My 180 section Conti RA3 look plenty cool on the bike and they stick like glue. My .02 Cheers.

Offline MiNuS31

• Z900 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 04:32:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
First off, you're putting a 190 on a wheel sized for a 180. A 190 requires a six inch wheel so you'll be changing the tires designed profile.
I know you want a certain look but the z900 is such a sweet handling bike I don't know why you'd consider a tire that will slow down the turn in?

My 180 section Conti RA3 look plenty cool on the bike and they stick like glue. My .02 Cheers.

Im off that...going 180...taking the advice from everyone and the tire shop...but I know im getting new tires for sure...

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by MiNuS31 [+]
Im off that...going 180...taking the advice from everyone and the tire shop...but I know im getting new tires for sure...
:028:
If you're still on the factory rubber you're going to notice a huge difference the first time you make a turn.
My recommendation is the Continental Road Attack 3. It's a sport tour tire so it should supposedly get good mileage but I can't attest to that yet but I can attest that it totally changed the way the bike feels in a corner.

Offline MiNuS31

• Z900 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 10:48:30 PM »
:028:
If you're still on the factory rubber you're going to notice a huge difference the first time you make a turn.
My recommendation is the Continental Road Attack 3. It's a sport tour tire so it should supposedly get good mileage but I can't attest to that yet but I can attest that it totally changed the way the bike feels in a corner.

Definitely getting new tires...and sell my stocks...only 1200 miles on them...

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 12:13:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by MiNuS31 [+]
Definitely getting new tires...and sell my stocks...only 1200 miles on them...
High time to get rid of them. I got rid of mine after the end of the summer I bought the bike and there was plenty of tread left.
Look for a deal on the tires you decide upon.

Offline ZROD

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: CBR250/GT650/Z900
  • Town / City: Bangalore
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 11:18:14 AM »
We get the Dunlop Sportmax D214 in India as stock (180/55)

I just hated them as they lacked the wet grip. Managed to get 5000miles out of them.

Just recently changed to Metzeler M7RRs (190/50) and it just transformed the way the Z handles.

I noticed that i am able to carry higher speeds through the corners and the direction switch more or less remained same between the 180 & 190 section tyres

Upsizing is upto personal preference.
As long as the rim size can accomodate the wider tyre and the overall diameter of the wheel don't change a whole lot, we should be alright.

But I definetly recommend changing to better tyres to fully exploit the handling of this beast.

Offline MiNuS31

• Z900 Member
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 03:12:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZROD [+]
We get the Dunlop Sportmax D214 in India as stock (180/55)

I just hated them as they lacked the wet grip. Managed to get 5000miles out of them.

Just recently changed to Metzeler M7RRs (190/50) and it just transformed the way the Z handles.

I noticed that i am able to carry higher speeds through the corners and the direction switch more or less remained same between the 180 & 190 section tyres

Upsizing is upto personal preference.
As long as the rim size can accomodate the wider tyre and the overall diameter of the wheel don't change a whole lot, we should be alright.

But I definetly recommend changing to better tyres to fully exploit the handling of this beast.

Yea yesterday I ordered the Perilli Angel GTs...

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 03:51:16 PM »
Upsizing to a 190 on this bike is not even a choice, the bike is not designed for it.
We have 5.5 inch wheels in the back which is required for a 180 section tire.
A 190 section tire requires, by design, a 6.0 inch wheel.
Will it work? Sure, it'll hold air but the tire won't perform as designed. You have changed the profile of the 190 tire by squeezing it onto a 180 wheel.
Dangerous? Maybe. People do it all the time. Do racers do it....no.

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Quebec
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 05:42:56 PM »
Upsizing to a 190 on this bike is not even a choice, the bike is not designed for it.
We have 5.5 inch wheels in the back which is required for a 180 section tire.
A 190 section tire requires, by design, a 6.0 inch wheel.
Will it work? Sure, it'll hold air but the tire won't perform as designed. You have changed the profile of the 190 tire by squeezing it onto a 180 wheel.
Dangerous? Maybe. People do it all the time. Do racers do it....no.

For someone who ride slowly and never nearly touch the ground with his knees.. I don't see the problem going for the 190! Even if going for the 190 is only for the look, most of the riders are not racers!