Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !


Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Painting The frame plastics.  (Read 3652 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline cjskinner

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 346
  • Town / City: Quebec
  • Country: ca
Re: Painting The frame plastics.
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 12:27:02 PM »
Looks good! You used 1 can or 2?

Offline Samxboy

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Posts: 40
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Horndean
  • Country: gb
Re: Painting The frame plastics.
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 12:36:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by cjskinner [+]
Looks good! You used 1 can or 2?

About half a can. Heated the can up first in hot water and shook it like hell. Makes a big difference to get a finer spray pattern. The good thing with this product is that even if you have an initial lumpy finish, it settles down when drying to give a nice smooth surface. It's a rubber paint so it feels somewhat different when applied but it has merged in really well with the frame color. I used about 5 coats, reapplied after 20/30 mins. Also wiped the plastics down with alcohol swabs before hand.

It's meant to be really tough but it if does need reapplying, you just peel it off and start again.

Offline zed9

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2956
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: Painting The frame plastics.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 02:03:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by mADmAN [+]
Pls keep us posted on how well the paint held up on the heel guards
I just took my heel guards off as well as the rubber isolators. There is a nice looking black cast frame underneath.

Offline bigj11

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 236
  • Town / City: Memphis
  • Country: us
Re: Painting The frame plastics.
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
I used regular black paint and primer and it started rubbing off within a week.  I am very happy with the $50 ones i purchased.

Offline Cazzy_R

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 1153
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
  • Country: england
Re: Painting The frame plastics.
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 05:28:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Samxboy [+]
About half a can. Heated the can up first in hot water and shook it like hell. Makes a big difference to get a finer spray pattern. The good thing with this product is that even if you have an initial lumpy finish, it settles down when drying to give a nice smooth surface. It's a rubber paint so it feels somewhat different when applied but it has merged in really well with the frame color. I used about 5 coats, reapplied after 20/30 mins. Also wiped the plastics down with alcohol swabs before hand.

It's meant to be really tough but it if does need reapplying, you just peel it off and start again.

 Does look good.  :028:
 Question regarding prep: Did you just degrease? No scuffing up?
 I have just bought paint and scotchbrite, today, but now................. :084:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Cazzy_R

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 1153
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
  • Country: england
Re: Painting The frame plastics.
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 05:31:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by bigj11 [+]
I used regular black paint and primer and it started rubbing off within a week.  I am very happy with the $50 ones i purchased.

 Are we talking plastics or heal guards here? Was it the heal guard paint that didn't work out?  :027:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Samxboy

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Posts: 40
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Horndean
  • Country: gb
Re: Painting The frame plastics.
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 05:43:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Does look good.  :028:
 Question regarding prep: Did you just degrease? No scuffing up?
 I have just bought paint and scotchbrite, today, but now................. :084:

Only used alcohol swabs to clean up and remove any grease / oil. My preference was to leave the original finish so if needed could easily revert if I didn't like the finish. As it is the finish is better than I expected, never having used a rubber paint before.
Do a couple of light coats first, leave for 30 mins and then lay it on more thickly. I applied 5 coats. Apparently the more you put on the easier it is to remove cleanly.

Offline Cazzy_R

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 1153
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
  • Country: england
Re: Painting The frame plastics.
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 06:11:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Samxboy [+]
Only used alcohol swabs to clean up and remove any grease / oil. My preference was to leave the original finish so if needed could easily revert if I didn't like the finish. As it is the finish is better than I expected, never having used a rubber paint before.
Do a couple of light coats first, leave for 30 mins and then lay it on more thickly. I applied 5 coats. Apparently the more you put on the easier it is to remove cleanly.

 Understood. Ta.  :821:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Marco

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 755
  • Bike: Z900 Performance Ed
  • Town / City: Carrickfergus
  • Country: gb
Re: Painting The frame plastics.
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 07:15:42 PM »
Hammerite satin black works well on the heel guards although I don't think my heels actually touch them so I can't comment on it's longevity.
Z900 Performance Edition  Akrapovic ASZT can Delkevic headers  Bar end mirrors  High seat  R&G rad guard   R&G tail tidy  Chinese levers Hyperpro fork spring kit.  Supersprox Stealth rear sprocket.  Nitron NTR1 shock absorber.

Offline ras

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3031
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
  • Country: us
Re: Painting The frame plastics.
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 07:36:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Marco [+]
Hammerite satin black works well on the heel guards although I don't think my heels actually touch them so I can't comment on it's longevity.

I powder coated mine and that will even scuff. It is easy enough to touch up but otherwise the clear bra 3M protection stuff cut to sizes works perfectly to protect them