Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Recommendations for a louder horn  (Read 1715 times)

Online Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
Recommendations for a louder horn
« on: December 23, 2018, 10:01:47 PM »
As per the subject title, does anyone have any recommendations for a louder horn? There are plenty on the market, but just wondering what you have personally installed.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Re: Recommendations for a louder horn
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 12:28:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Simoncrp [+]
As per the subject title, does anyone have any recommendations for a louder horn? There are plenty on the market, but just wondering what you have personally installed.
Don't laugh. But if you want an easy swap get a horn from the 250 Honda scooter. It's the same round shape only a little larger but it is way LOUDER.
I have not yet done the swap but I have owned four Helixes. It has a much more manly beep and is loud despite being buried by all the plastic on the Helix.
I have also bought those Fiam horns...sounds like a car but not as loud as the Helix horn.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 12:41:26 AM »
Thanks Simon for getting me off my butt. In the last ten minutes I just googled for a Helix horn for sale and I found one for $5.48 US including free shipping.
It's plug and play and on the way.  :821:

Online Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Don't laugh. But if you want an easy swap get a horn from the 250 Honda scooter. It's the same round shape only a little larger but it is way LOUDER.
I have not yet done the swap but I have owned four Helixes. It has a much more manly beep and is loud despite being buried by all the plastic on the Helix.
I have also bought those Fiam horns...sounds like a car but not as loud as the Helix horn.
I have to say, I've never heard of or seen the Helix in the UK.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simoncrp [+]
I have to say, I've never heard of or seen the Helix in the UK.
If you have them at all they may be called a Fuzion or something. They were sold from 1986 until 2005 essentially unchanged. Hands down the best city commuter ever made. 77 mph top speed, comfortable, great MPG.
Riding it flat out on a crowded highway is not for the faint of heart however.

Anyway, the horn is not exposed. It's behind the plastic body panels yet it can still make people on the sidewalk jump if you beep it. It's not as loud as those air horn units but there's no need for a relay. Just plug in the factory connectors.

Online Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 02:40:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
If you have them at all they may be called a Fuzion or something. They were sold from 1986 until 2005 essentially unchanged. Hands down the best city commuter ever made. 77 mph top speed, comfortable, great MPG.
Riding it flat out on a crowded highway is not for the faint of heart however.

Anyway, the horn is not exposed. It's behind the plastic body panels yet it can still make people on the sidewalk jump if you beep it. It's not as loud as those air horn units but there's no need for a relay. Just plug in the factory connectors.
So something like this?
https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cn_250_3_mf02_fusion/03/picture/horn_-_universal_70mm_diameter

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 03:20:45 PM »
No, that looks similar but the stock Helix/Fusion horn is 90mm wide. The one you show is only 70mm.
The Helix horn is large for the type it is. It's larger than our z900 horn but louder.

You would either have to order one from Honda (expensive) or a used one from eBay.

Offline NHRstein

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Orinda
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 12:23:40 AM »
I went with one of these. Fits in the stock location, significantly louder than stock and doesn't break the bank when it comes to current draw. You can use the stock wiring for this one.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/products.asp?IDserie=3&uso=&tipologia=ELECTROMAGNETICS
You Never See A Motorcycle Parked Outside Of A Psychiatrist's Office

Offline Blackcell06

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Utah
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 09:02:30 PM »
I just ordered an airhorn. Will let you know if its worth it. Should be here tomorrow  :305:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5DQWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Both my bikes are for sale.
2013 Speed Triple -19k miles
2017 Z900 -3k miles

Offline Kcklub

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: z900
  • Town / City: key largo florida
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 10:32:53 PM »
Good post, I wonder why we even have a horn? For deaf folks?