Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacing H7 with H18  (Read 858 times)

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Re: Replacing H7 with H18
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 07:46:48 PM »
 To my eyes the H18 is ever so slightly whiter and brighter than the H7.
 So far I'm not tempted to make the change especially when considering the higher temps and additional draw on the electrics.
 I guess real world comparisons on the bike may be different though? What do you think?  :027:

Thanks for taking the time to do this and share.  :028:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 09:29:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
To my eyes the H18 is ever so slightly whiter and brighter than the H7.
 So far I'm not tempted to make the change especially when considering the higher temps and additional draw on the electrics.
 I guess real world comparisons on the bike may be different though? What do you think?  :027:

Thanks for taking the time to do this and share.  :028:

I thought the H18 edged it ever so slightly, however, for what looks like it will be a tiny improvement, I dont think it would be worth the extra electrical load. Then theres the heat to consider, from a quick look at the video, seems that the H18 runs about 20C higher. Doesnt seem a lot, but when its an extra 20 degrees on an already high temperature in the small headlight housing, that much difference in temperature could have some negative effects. I may be wrong, but I wouldnt want to test it in my headlight housing.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 10:49:04 PM »
I did test the H18 in the headlight for a while, it is not brighter even there on idle. It might be brighter when the voltage is more while riding. But the extra 15 - 20 C might cause issues in the long term, I don't think 10 W itself would do a big diffrence. But now we know the H18 is a dead end and cannot be recommended.