Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bar end removal...help!!  (Read 1411 times)

Offline arlocay1

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Montreal
Bar end removal...help!!
« on: January 07, 2019, 01:34:24 PM »
Hi everyone, over the weekend I attempted to install bar end mirrors. My original plan was to install them between the grips and the end weight. I got the throttle side done but I don't feel comfortable with it. I'm worried it will shift and my throttle will stick while riding. Anyways, I've decided to purchase Rhinomoto bar ends. This however is not my problem. I tried to remove the weight on the other side and it will not budge. I tried heating it up, ratchet, allan key,...etc. All this to say the screw is now stripped. I'm going to order another screw from Kawa but i still have to remove the stripped one. I bought a screw extractor kit. I'm just worried I'm going to cause further damage. ah and BTW the weight now just spins... any help would be greatly appreciated.  :034: :034: :034:

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Bar end removal...help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:54:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by arlocay1 [+]
All this to say the screw is now stripped. I'm going to order another screw from Kawa but i still have to remove the stripped one. I bought a screw extractor kit. I'm just worried I'm going to cause further damage. ah and BTW the weight now just spins... any help would be greatly appreciated.  :034: :034: :034:
You don't need to order a bolt from kawi...its a standard metric allen bolt (M8 x 30mm), I can get the pitch if you need. The reason why the weight now spins is because you applied heat to it...its a rubber isolated end so now its no good.

If you are having a hard time removing end bolt, there is a good chance the threads on the handle-bar are also bad. While you can still fix all this mess, to be truthful, I think it may be over your head on explaining how to use a heli-coil. Not sure how a simple thing as removing a bolt turns into a situation like this...   :192:

Offline arlocay1

• Z900 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:10:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
You don't need to order a bolt from kawi...its a standard metric allen bolt (M8 x 30mm), I can get the pitch if you need. The reason why the weight now spins is because you applied heat to it...its a rubber isolated end so now its no good.

If you are having a hard time removing end bolt, there is a good chance the threads on the handle-bar are also bad. While you can still fix all this mess, to be truthful, I think it may be over your head on explaining how to use a heli-coil. Not sure how a simple thing as removing a bolt turns into a situation like this...   :192:

It started spinning before i applied any heat to it. I don't think the threads on the handle bar have been affected because the bolt hasn't moved at all. You mean the threads are defected? You don't think a screw extractor would work?

Not sure how a simple thing as removing a bolt turns into a situation like this...   :192:
I know I know...the throttle side came off with such ease  :034: :034:

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »
Not being there to see but sounds like your best bet at this loint is to drill the bolt head off.
The head of the bolt is 1/2"

Offline arlocay1

• Z900 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:26:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
Not being there to see but sounds like your best bet at this loint is to drill the bolt head off.
The head of the bolt is 1/2"

I'm going to drill a hole in the middle of the screw and try with the extractor bit SLOWLY, I'm just afraid to ruin the thread inside the part the the bolt is in. Anyways, if I see it's not working like it should then off to the dealer...I installed a new fender so my confidence was flying, I thought I was a damn technician in one day  :157: :157:

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:43:57 PM »
I'm going to drill a hole in the middle of the screw and try with the extractor bit SLOWLY, I'm just afraid to ruin the thread inside

The dealer is just going to drill the head of the bolt....Then the bar end will slide off. Next take vise grips on the exposed bolt to remove it.

Offline arlocay1

• Z900 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 03:32:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
The dealer is just going to drill the head of the bolt....Then the bar end will slide off. Next take vise grips on the exposed bolt to remove it.

The bold is not exposed. I'm trying to understand what you mean. Sorry guys I'm new at this...TIA for your patience.

Offline arlocay1

• Z900 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 03:33:45 PM »
The bold is not exposed. I'm trying to understand what you mean. Sorry guys I'm new at this...TIA for your patience.

Ah the weight will slide off once the head of the bolt is drilled off...Got it!! thanks!!

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 03:35:25 PM »
It started spinning before i applied any heat to it. I don't think the threads on the handle bar have been affected because the bolt hasn't moved at all. You mean the threads are defected? You don't think a screw extractor would work?
If it started spinning before heat, then most likely you loosened the bolt slightly. The OEM bad end has a metal center part, then rubber...then the outer heavy metal part you see.

An alternative option - If you weren't happy with the stock location/angle of OEM bars, now would be a perfect time to try different handle bars. Many of us changed to the "EMGO Daytona Touring" bars. At this point, its easier to swap bars and you may like them much better. Search the forums, we've discussed this in great depths.

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »
Ah the weight will slide off once the head of the bolt is drilled off...Got it!! thanks!!

Bingo