Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bar end removal...help!!  (Read 1429 times)

Offline arlocay1

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Montreal
Re: Bar end removal...help!!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 04:46:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kcklub [+]
Get a screw extractor

Yeah I did. I'm going to try that.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 06:49:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by arlocay1 [+]
Of any bolts I had to remove from a motorcycle it's been the bar end bolts that are the worse. They are LocTited at the factory.
Extreme car must be used at the onset, before stripping the heads. 
You need to use an Easy Out now and probably a small battery impact gun. If not, drill out the head and remove it with a good pair of sharp vise grips as has been mentioned already. Right now it's a PITA but it can get worse.

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 07:38:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Of any bolts I had to remove from a motorcycle it's been the bar end bolts that are the worse. They are LocTited at the factory.

These hex are sweet and easy compared.... Not that many years ago Kawi used Philip Head bolts and those SUCKED. Single use only

Offline nayr14

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Northern Illinois
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:04 PM »

In my experience, if you stripped the head of the screw trying to get it out then it's unlikely a screw extractor will work.  There is a good chance you'll break the extractor, hopefully not into the screw head (then you're really, really "screwed"  :138:).  If the extractor breaks, it will take forever to drill out and may require a complete new handlebar.  Screw extractors are for light duty work, like phillip screws stuck in wood or holding together some assembly.  The bolt is still loctited in there, otherwise your other methods would have removed it.

Personally I'd try to drill it out very carefully right down the center.  You'll also be in deep water if the bit breaks in the screw, but I can almost guarantee that you'll break a screw extractor.  Then run a tap through to clean up the threads.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 04:58:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by nayr14 [+]
In my experience, if you stripped the head of the screw trying to get it out then it's unlikely a screw extractor will work.  There is a good chance you'll break the extractor, hopefully not into the screw head (then you're really, really "screwed"  :138:).  If the extractor breaks, it will take forever to drill out and may require a complete new handlebar.  Screw extractors are for light duty work, like phillip screws stuck in wood or holding together some assembly.  The bolt is still loctited in there, otherwise your other methods would have removed it.

Personally I'd try to drill it out very carefully right down the center.  You'll also be in deep water if the bit breaks in the screw, but I can almost guarantee that you'll break a screw extractor.  Then run a tap through to clean up the threads.
^This here.
You are on the point of pure misery here. If you are not confident then contact a friend you can trust with experience.
Handlebar screws are the worst! But...Conquer them and anything else you encounter in life is easy by comparison.
Good luck my friend. We are here to help.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 05:03:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
These hex are sweet and easy compared.... Not that many years ago Kawi used Philip Head bolts and those SUCKED. Single use only
Yes, those Phillips heads were, and still are, pure evil.  :110:

Offline arlocay1

• Z900 Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »
^This here.
You are on the point of pure misery here. If you are not confident then contact a friend you can trust with experience.
Handlebar screws are the worst! But...Conquer them and anything else you encounter in life is easy by comparison.
Good luck my friend. We are here to help.

Thanks zed9.... I'm going to fix this on my own. If i f*** it up further then so be it. I'll replace whatever needs to be replaced. Not giving up. Once this is done I'll be installing my SC project S1 slip.   :029: :029: :013: :013:

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by nayr14 [+]

This ^

:460:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 07:50:29 PM »
Thanks zed9.... I'm going to fix this on my own. If i f*** it up further then so be it. I'll replace whatever needs to be replaced. Not giving up. Once this is done I'll be installing my SC project S1 slip.   :029: :029: :013: :013:
Absolutely fix it on your own. What I'm saying is, without knowing your mechanical skills, is that with any fastener on the bike is 'Don't take any shortcuts'.
These motors and frame parts are relatively fragile say, compared to a cast iron block of a pick up truck.
In other words, you have a dull screwdriver close at hand but your brand new sharp Japanese DIN screwdriver is in the house...take the time to get the good tool. Try to use a six point socket instead of a twelve point. Things of that nature.

There's all sorts of videos on YouTube showing various methods of getting stuck fasteners out but I gotta say, the bar end screws are among the biggest PITA.
One method I did see for a stripped socket head bolt was to fit the Allen head wrench (a good sharp one) into the bolt then take a center punch and bang dimples into the head of the bolt to tighten up the metal around the Allen wrench but there's not a lot of room inside the bar end.
Let us know how you make out.  :821:

Offline arlocay1

• Z900 Member
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 07:54:58 PM »
Absolutely fix it on your own. What I'm saying is, without knowing your mechanical skills, is that with any fastener on the bike is 'Don't take any shortcuts'.
These motors and frame parts are relatively fragile say, compared to a cast iron block of a pick up truck.
In other words, you have a dull screwdriver close at hand but your brand new sharp Japanese DIN screwdriver is in the house...take the time to get the good tool. Try to use a six point socket instead of a twelve point. Things of that nature.

There's all sorts of videos on YouTube showing various methods of getting stuck fasteners out but I gotta say, the bar end screws are among the biggest PITA.
One method I did see for a stripped socket head bolt was to fit the Allen head wrench (a good sharp one) into the bolt then take a center punch and bang dimples into the head of the bolt to tighten up the metal around the Allen wrench but there's not a lot of room inside the bar end.
Let us know how you make out.  :821:

Yeah i'll definitely be taking your advice...I'll be working on it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes...Thanks bud  :063: