Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust Help  (Read 701 times)

Offline Nomadd762

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: San Diego
Exhaust Help
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:39:32 PM »
Afternoon all, I recently purchased a used z900 and the owner made some modifications that I'm not a big fan of.  The biggest issue in my opinion is the exhaust, he did a chop job himself to remove the breadbox and cat and installed an Austin Racing gp3.  For an amateur job it's way better than what I could have done myself, but still nowhere near a professional look.  I like the look of the AR slipon, but the chop job on the pipe is ugly, and the biggest issue is the noise, this bike is absolutely deafening even at idle.  I don't mind having it scream when I'm opening it up on the roads, but I have to go through a gate and present ID to a guard to get to work and its obnoxious there as well as in my building's underground garage when I start her up in the morning. 
I was hoping that someone who knows more about the Z might be able to offer me some advice on how best to fix this, mostly if the headers will be salvageable or if I'm going to need to buy a whole new set of headers and a slip-on.  I was thinking of maybe getting some kind of belly fairing to cover up the ugly chop and a Db killer for the Austin but I don't know how effective either would be.  Any advice, thoughts, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated; and if you just want to point and laugh at what I've got hanging off my bike that's fine too.  Thanks.

Offline Kcklub

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: z900
  • Town / City: key largo florida
Re: Exhaust Help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:53:36 PM »
I'll trade ya , entire kit for a stock one.

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:19:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nomadd762 [+]
mostly if the headers will be salvageable or if I'm going to need to buy a whole new set of headers and a slip-on. 

I am on my phone but it looks like the cat was cut out of the headers....you will want to get new headers. Maybe someone get get a better look sooner thaan I will

Offline Kcklub

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 10:20:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
I am on my phone but it looks like the cat was cut out of the headers....you will want to get new headers. Maybe someone get get a better look sooner thaan I will

Lol.

Offline Sliver

• Z900 Pro
  • WaZZZZup
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Johannesburg
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 10:30:22 PM »
Looks like you still have the cat, that's in the pipe still connected to the,
Headers. You could remove the heat wrap and put a cover over.

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:53:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sliver [+]

I have never been a fan of the look of heat wrap. Does the peeson you bought the Z from still have the breadbox? That would help
Not sure what your knowledge is or if you have someone local that could help. Sounds like all you need is a mid pipe / connector welded  then you could use any slip on you want. Otherwise a new header would be easiest

Offline Kcklub

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 11:13:16 PM »
That bandages look bad though.

Offline Nomadd762

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: San Diego
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 11:35:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sliver [+]

Previous owner said that he blew out all the Cat, thats why there are 2 cuts in the pippe, one to take off the breadbox then he cut again when he realized he left the cat.

*Originally Posted by ras [+]
I have never been a fan of the look of heat wrap. Does the peeson you bought the Z from still have the breadbox? That would help
Not sure what your knowledge is or if you have someone local that could help. Sounds like all you need is a mid pipe / connector welded  then you could use any slip on you want. Otherwise a new header would be easiest

I'm a semi-decent welder (not that i would attempt this job probably), but I just moved cross country and don't have my garage or any of my gear.  I've never done any exhaust work on my previous bike, I wasn't comfortable enough of a rider to do any mods for performance, only looks really.  Currently I am working out of an apartment with the tools that I can fit into a milk crate.  Guy I bought it from had scrapped the original chunks of exhaust, I asked when I bought it.  I'm thinking that I might just have to save up a few paychecks and get some aftermarket headers.  Do aftermarket headers come with cat in them to cut down on the noise?  Because right now it's essentially straight piped and way too loud for anything except the race track.

Appreciate the info from everyone.

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 11:52:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nomadd762 [+]
  Do aftermarket headers come with cat in them to cut down on the noise?

No but there are a few threads and sound clips with aftermarket headers and a slip on and they sound great....not obnoxious at all

Offline GatorZ

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: NH
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 12:16:26 AM »
Do you know if you still have the O2 sensor? Does she has a Power Commander or ECU Flash? If not go with a stock header, bread basket. No muffler