Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Slip on Advice  (Read 8244 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SCrider

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 261
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
  • Country: us
Slip on Advice
on: January 25, 2019, 01:37:35 PM
I would like to upgrade the stock exhaust with a slip on. The bank will not allow a full system upgrade so I will start with this. I have searched the posts here trying to find information and there is so much covering all topics so I thought I would just throw out this question hoping to get good feedback. My local dealer has a Z900 on the floor with an Akrapovic carbon slip on installed and he let me hear it. It looks sweet for sure but did not sound a whole different than stock. I have read that here a couple times as well. I would truly appreciate any advice on what you all have and like. I certainly do not want to make the investment only to be dissapointed. Thanks.

Offline zeta

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 570
  • Town / City: Lohja
  • Country: fi
Re: Slip on Advice
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 02:12:53 PM
Try the 8$ exhaust.

Offline Kes

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 475
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: SOLIHULL
  • Country: england
Re: Slip on Advice
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 02:24:09 PM
SC no slip on will give more sound, if you take the db killer out of Akra from experience no change in sound. If as advised you do the $8.00 mod you will gain a few db.
You cheapest option for a full system using the Akra can on the dealers bike is some headers from Aliexpress . Going by what I paid for them delivered in your currency that would have been $240.
DT175, CD185, CB400,GS850,GPZ1100,GS1000,CB900, KLR650,GSX100EFE,xt250,GSXR750, GSXR1100, SP180,XV650, XR250, GasGas 250,ZRX1200,DRZ400,ZX6R,VNB750, Aprilia Shiver, XV950,CB1000R, Z900R.

Online iBuchon

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1188
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
  • Country: us
Re: Slip on Advice
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 02:26:49 PM
Heres what I have and why.
$8 exhaust (remove stock muffler, install decorative tip)




Why?
 I cant justify the price of aftermarket mufflers for myself. The sound of this is no doubt a little louder than having the exhaust muffled twice. I like the look of an underbody exit personally, but thats purely personal preference of course. I never bump it on anything moving it around the garage.

Why not?
A well built aftermarket muffler is pretty sexy. I would also imagine they sound more refined, but thats only a guess since I honestly havent heard one on the Z to compare. Also guessing theyre quieter overall if you like that kind of thing.

Ill let the guys with different slipons take it from there. Good luck.

Offline bigj11

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 317
  • Town / City: Memphis
  • Country: us
Re: Slip on Advice
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 02:46:12 PM
I have gone through a few slip on's and none of them really changed the sound in my opinion, they may have made the exhaust tone a tad deeper but it was barely noticeable.  I would say that changing the slip on would almost be more for looks as opposed to getting a different sound.

Offline RobZ900

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2950
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
  • Country: gb
Re: Slip on Advice
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 02:51:48 PM
As above, changing the slip on will make hardly any difference in volume or sound. Ive got the titanium akra on mine with the baffle removed. I love the way it looks and removing the baffle did give it a slightly deeper tone, but youve already heard what it like with the baffle in. Unfortunately, with most of the baffling being done before the slip on, the only real option for a better sound is either the cut the stock headers or get an aftermarket set. There a set on aliexpress Im looking at which are only about 120. Coupled with a decent slip on, you should achieve the sound youre looking for.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline ras

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4288
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2020 GSXS 1000
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
  • Country: us
Re: Slip on Advice
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 03:09:49 PM
*Originally Posted by bigj11 [+]
  I would say that changing the slip on would almost be more for looks as opposed to getting a different sound.

Yup that sums it up
2020 GSXS 1000

Offline ras

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4288
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2020 GSXS 1000
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
  • Country: us
Re: Slip on Advice
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 03:15:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Kes [+]
if as advised you do the $8.00 mod you will gain a few db.

I just want to say that their is multiple variables as well. A 2" pipe sounds differently then a 2 1/2" and there is a definite sound difference between a longer VS shorter pipe
2020 GSXS 1000

Offline mininsx

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 219
  • Bike: '17 Z900, '19 SV650
  • Town / City: Central Kentucky
  • Country: us
Re: Slip on Advice
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 03:47:18 PM
*Originally Posted by SCrider [+]
I would like to upgrade the stock exhaust with a slip on. The bank will not allow a full system upgrade so I will start with this. I have searched the posts here trying to find information and there is so much covering all topics so I thought I would just throw out this question hoping to get good feedback. My local dealer has a Z900 on the floor with an Akrapovic carbon slip on installed and he let me hear it. It looks sweet for sure but did not sound a whole different than stock. I have read that here a couple times as well. I would truly appreciate any advice on what you all have and like. I certainly do not want to make the investment only to be dissapointed. Thanks.


"The bank won't allow" you to modify your bike?  :112: I've never heard that one before.
Anyway, I thought about the $8 exhaust myself, and after I took the stock muffler off I didn't like the sound. Besides that, after looking online and at the auto parts store I couldn't find a suitable tip to install. I eventually got one of these and I'm very happy with it. https://www.leovince.com/en-us/line/leovince-lv-10-stainless-steel

Offline zed9

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • *
  • Posts: 4333
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: Slip on Advice
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 04:17:47 PM
*Originally Posted by mininsx [+]
"The bank won't allow" you to modify your bike?  :112: I've never heard that one before.
Anyway, I thought about the $8 exhaust myself, and after I took the stock muffler off I didn't like the sound. Besides that, after looking online and at the auto parts store I couldn't find a suitable tip to install. I eventually got one of these and I'm very happy with it. https://www.leovince.com/en-us/line/leovince-lv-10-stainless-steel
That's a nice can. I wish I had gone with it.
Not crazy about the mesh but it may be removable.