Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: SW-MOTECH Engage Tank Bag Review on Blue Ridge Pkwy Ride  (Read 575 times)

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: SW-MOTECH Engage Tank Bag Review on Blue Ridge Pkwy Ride
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by SCrider [+]

Today is last gift of warm winter weather for awhile. The wind is blowing and it is getting colder by the minute so I got out the bucket and hose to clean the bike after yesterdays ride then saw your pics :005: I guess all you can do is keep hosing her off. Seems like a light at the end of the tunnel though.

Yup! Current regime is to thoroughly clean the bike, dry it and apply a good coat of ACF50 to protect against road salts etc. Then just hose the bike off at the end of each day. Repeat the process around every 4 weeks as I find by that point, theres just too much build up of crap for a simple hose off. I know some people leave it until the spring, but Im concerned of grit or any other horrible shite working its way into the seals. Got to give the bike a good clean this weekend, but may not bother with the ACF50 as the weather has warmed up a bit. Been having loads of rain and the temperature isnt getting below 3C for the next couple of weeks, so no more road salts for a while.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online Z900Arizona

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 09:26:39 PM »
I am in phoenix.  What is this road salt you speak of?  LoL

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 10:24:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Z900Arizona [+]

Its the horrible shite thats responsible for the paint missing off the front of my engine!!! Its even taken the black off the top of my oil filter.
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Z900Arizona [+]

I hear ya but at least I can ride in the summer without having the flesh burned off from exposed areas when its 114 in the shade :005: Too hot to even go outside much less ride a motorcycle. Oh that's right, forgive me, "Its a Dry Heat" :008: Yeah, we all know the feeling when you open up an oven and get that blast of heat in your face. I have heard that is what you feel riding your bike out there in the summer. True?

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Its the horrible shite thats responsible for the paint missing off the front of my engine!!! Its even taken the black off the top of my oil filter.

Not sure what they put on the roads there. Over here they usually pre-treat the roads with a salt and water solution called Brine. It seems to wash away pretty quick with a couple good rains. In South Carolina we get a lot of ice. That's the worst as you loose power, have down trees everywhere, and they put down sand. The sand is the biggest hazard as it can linger for quite some time. Not a good feeling when your full tilt in a corner and see that in your line! :005:

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by SCrider [+]

Not sure what they put on the roads there. Over here they usually pre-treat the roads with a salt and water solution called Brine. It seems to wash away pretty quick with a couple good rains. In South Carolina we get a lot of ice. That's the worst as you loose power, have down trees everywhere, and they put down sand. The sand is the biggest hazard as it can linger for quite some time. Not a good feeling when your full tilt in a corner and see that in your line! :005:

Over here they just use crushed rock salt from the mines. It gets chucked out of the back of a lorry by a spinning plate on the back as they drive around. Not mixed with anything, it comes out like grit or very fine gravel. If youre close enough to a lorry when theyre spreading it, itll scratch your paintwork with the force it comes out. The idea is that they spread the loose salt on the roads, which then gets crushed into the road surface by traffic. It works, but as the majority of traffic is made up of cars and other 4+ wheel vehicles, you end up with a patch of uncrushed salt in the middle of the lane which can cause you to lose traction on a bike, so trading one problem for another! That plus the grit being flung up at the front of your engine means itll take your paintwork off, case in point, the front of my engine and the top of my oil filter! Marco even made a thread about the paint missing off the front of his engine from this exact cause.  He solved the problem with some black engine paint from a car parts store.