Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Helmet locked solved  (Read 1458 times)

Offline ChristianCvd

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Granada
Re: Helmet locked solved
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 10:19:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by ZED 9 [+]
Yaa a no go for the Z900   :182: Price is right if u got a yahmaha  :002: :002:
I bought It and I am going to make a mod to install It. Foto these price, worth it

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by ChristianCvd [+]
I bought It and I am going to make a mod to install It. Foto these price, worth it
I made up my own bracket from stainless steel and I used a Kawasaki helmet lock. The beauty of this is that I can use my ignition key for the helmet lock.

I had to file the innards to work with the z900 key, as its thicker, and move around the internal wafers, which is easy but I don't have to carry yet another key. The install on the bike looks factory.

I'd post some pics but this site won't let me so if anybody is interested and can post the pics to the site, PM me your email and I'll send you my pics so that maybe you can post them.

Offline JDMlife

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: LPA
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 10:31:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
That bracket may be able to fit on the left side of the Z and you may even be able to make the lock work with your factory ignition key.

My idea is modding the frame with a Dremel, and as you told make the lock work with my kawi's key.

But I have to wait til the device come from UK, a few days yet  :015:

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by JDMlife [+]
My idea is modding the frame with a Dremel, and as you told make the lock work with my kawi's key.

But I have to wait til the device come from UK, a few days yet  :015:
If you bought the generic lock, depending on the type of key it uses this may be possible. I'm not a locksmith but I am somewhat addicted to Bosnianbill and Lockpockinglawyer on YouTube.
These locks can come apart. Just make sure you do it over a large pan to catch any springs that may fly out.

Even if you have to file out the inside of the cylinder to make your Kawi key work and use less wafers it's ok. I doubt anybody will try to pick a helmet lock to take your helmet. It's a crime of opportunity. A thief will go on to steal the helmet which is just resting on top of the mirror.
I use a thin cable around the chin bar then attach it to the lock.

Offline Swinging_Nuts

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 17 Z900
  • Town / City: Houston
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »
I'd post some pics but this site won't let me so if anybody is interested and can post the pics to the site, PM me your email and I'll send you my pics so that maybe you can post them.

Heres zed9's Pics
Looks simple enough to do with common tools if you've got a little free time

Offline JDMlife

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »
If you bought the generic lock, depending on the type of key it uses this may be possible. I'm not a locksmith but I am somewhat addicted to Bosnianbill and Lockpockinglawyer on YouTube.
These locks can come apart. Just make sure you do it over a large pan to catch any springs that may fly out.

Even if you have to file out the inside of the cylinder to make your Kawi key work and use less wafers it's ok. I doubt anybody will try to pick a helmet lock to take your helmet. It's a crime of opportunity. A thief will go on to steal the helmet which is just resting on top of the mirror.
I use a thin cable around the chin bar then attach it to the lock.

That's a good point to pay attention, thanks  :002:

*Originally Posted by Swinging_Nuts [+]
Heres zed9's Pics
Looks simple enough to do with common tools if you've got a little free time

Wow! good job.

What about painting the lock frame in black colour or even in kawi's green? I think it matches better than this silver one  :038:

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 12:07:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by JDMlife [+]
That's a good point to pay attention, thanks  :002:

Wow! good job.

What about painting the lock frame in black colour or even in kawi's green? I think it matches better than this silver one  :038:
That bracket is stainless steel, it doesn't hold paint well. As you stand over the bike you really don't see it as it is tucked in underneath.
I only had a band Saw to cut it. If I get a jig-saw I'll trim some of it back so it won't be visible.

Another thing to note, you need to buy longer bolts, those flange bolts I got are 8mm by 35mm long.
The holes in the foot rest are about 10mm. So what I did, I just happened to have some stainless steel wire which measured 1mm diameter.
I wrapped the threads for about 10mm long with the wire then threaded it up the threads until it was up under the head of the bolt. This filled in the hole with no play whatsoever, similar to the factory bolts.

EDIT...On second thought, I should have painted it.  :138:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:12:04 PM by zed9 »

Offline JDMlife

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 12:53:49 PM »
That bracket is stainless steel, it doesn't hold paint well. As you stand over the bike you really don't see it as it is tucked in underneath.
I only had a band Saw to cut it. If I get a jig-saw I'll trim some of it back so it won't be visible.

Another thing to note, you need to buy longer bolts, those flange bolts I got are 8mm by 35mm long.
The holes in the foot rest are about 10mm. So what I did, I just happened to have some stainless steel wire which measured 1mm diameter.
I wrapped the threads for about 10mm long with the wire then threaded it up the threads until it was up under the head of the bolt. This filled in the hole with no play whatsoever, similar to the factory bolts.

EDIT...On second thought, I should have painted it.  :138:

Bolts' sizes are a really good point, thanks!

Don't worry about painting it, the most important is: it works! and now you just need to find another free moment to disassemble the frame and paint it :038: