Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Zany  (Read 370 times)

Offline gotworusty2

• Z900 Member
  • Where's my two dollars?
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Sanford
Zany
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:05:59 AM »
Anybody done a fork oil change? I ride a lot 8k miles in 10 months.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Zany
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:30:04 AM »
I just changed my right fork oil but will need to fab up a tool to complete the left fork (important side).

FYI: The factory oil has a cST of 15.3 (which is close to some 5wt oils). You can't really go by the weight of the oil as advertised. But if you want to stay same dampening, "Bel-Ray Hight Performance 5wt" is very close to OEM weight (cST = 17.1). I'm using their 7wt.

TIPS: (basic)
1) Unbolt fender
2) Remove calipers
3) Remove axle
4) Place tape on fork tube where it meets lower triple clamp (for depth reference) or measure from top
5) Loosen top triple clamp allen bolt
6) Loosen top fork cap
7) Loosen lower two bolts on triple clamp
8) Slide fork out

Torque ratings:
caliper bolts 18ft
triple clamp bolts 15ft (you must torque all 4 lowers evenly and together, keep alternating till set)
axle 80ft
axle set bolt 17ft
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:42:31 AM by Frontline »

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:57:34 AM »
Or maybe you could just remove the fork caps and use a pump to get the oil out. Make a note how much oil you got out exactly.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 11:14:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by zeta [+]
Or maybe you could just remove the fork caps and use a pump to get the oil out. Make a note how much oil you got out exactly.
Doing that will NOT get all the oil out. You need to cycle the fork many times while pouring it out. There are valves and discs in the fork preventing you from reaching the bottom with a suction rod.

Offline Djxn

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: MANNFORD
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:51:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by gotworusty2 [+]
Anybody done a fork oil change? I ride a lot 8k miles in 10 months.

I ride a lot as well 17k in 12 months

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 03:26:21 PM »
If you're going to take the trouble to pull the forks you may as well set them up properly. That's what I did. I sent them out for proper springs, front and rear. Proper valves, front and rear. $655 Daughearty Motorsports in Indiana.

You have to pull the forks to get all the oil out as Frontline says. Plus you have to clean them internally. Old Fork oil is nasty. There's all sorts of mung built up.
And there is a chart on the internet that gives the real viscosity for most brands as tested. You will find the weight the manufacturers list on the label has nothing to do what it's actual viscosity is. This chart will let you select the actual proper viscosity instead of what's advertised.

Here is one simple chart I found with a quick Google search. I've seen more in detail.

https://transmoto.com.au/comparative-oil-weights-table/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:32:52 PM by zed9 »

Offline Zynycalwon

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Bham
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 11:44:54 PM »
Where are you guys getting info about changing fork oil? Can't find anything about it in the owner's manual, same with past bikes so I've never had it done on any (and never had any fork issues despite high miles). Am I missing something?  :187:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:49:14 PM by Zynycalwon »

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 02:17:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Zynycalwon [+]
Where are you guys getting info about changing fork oil? Can't find anything about it in the owner's manual, same with past bikes so I've never had it done on any (and never had any fork issues despite high miles). Am I missing something?  :187:
The fork oil degrades over time in slight increments so you just may get used to the forks poor performance and not notice a thing. Once you maintain the forks ten years later you suddenly feel like you're on a new bike.

I used to wait until I needed seals to modify the forks and shock but I couldn't wait with the Z because I've been spoiled by nice suspensions I've had on other bikes.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 02:52:46 AM »
I will say, my fork oil @ just over 10K miles was super clean and clear. No silver anywhere (caused from the springs scraping walls). This job could easily be put off till its time to do the 15K service - unless your intent is thicker oil (my reason).