Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 12 tkm service  (Read 362 times)

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
12 tkm service
« on: April 09, 2019, 04:06:17 PM »
I should get the bike to the 12 tkm service. I have already changed the oil and the filter in the winter. From the manual I have understood that 12 tkm service is only about changing oil and filter (done already), changing spark plugs and then some checks. I got a whopping 500 EUR estimate for the job  :005:  :087::005:  :112::005: How is the engine vacuum sync made, does it need some special gadgets (link?)? I know how to sync carburetors with a manometer, is this similar (have not yet checked youtube  :001:)?

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Re: 12 tkm service
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 05:10:38 PM »
If you're bike is running smooth at low RPM you don't need a sync. And you don't need plugs.
Outside of that you have done pretty much everything the shop would have done.

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 05:41:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
If you're bike is running smooth at low RPM you don't need a sync. And you don't need plugs.
Outside of that you have done pretty much everything the shop would have done.

Yes, the bike runs smooth. But I'd still check everything according to what is stated in the manual for the 12 tkm service, like changing the plugs and do other inspections. There's a two year warranty for the bike and there's more than a year until it ends...

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by zeta [+]
Yes, the bike runs smooth. But I'd still check everything according to what is stated in the manual for the 12 tkm service, like changing the plugs and do other inspections. There's a two year warranty for the bike and there's more than a year until it ends...
Your kind of stuck then. Here in the States we only get a 1 year warranty.
With your 2 year warranty, should anything happen, they may deny your claim. You should price your service around. But here in the US, if you do it yourself and save the receipts for parts as proof, then they can't deny your claim.

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 04:09:17 PM »
I got a quote from another place, 240 , I took it, the bike will be there next week.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »
I did mine myself. The only items I didnt do were the engine vac sync, evaporative emission control system and lubing the head stem bearing. I spoke to several dealers who all wanted 400+ for this service and admitted they wouldnt be doing the above 3 jobs for that price. They were happy to do them, but they would charge more. Even said that it wasnt necessary this early in the bikes life. I would question wether or not theyre completing these jobs for the price theyve quoted. My 2 year warranty is about to run out, so Im now going to run my service schedule slightly different to what the manual states for my own ease. Oil and filter every 4000 miles (6400 kms), spark plugs every 8000 miles and air filter on every other spark plug change. As for the extra jobs Ive mentioned above, Im just going to have these done when the bike goes in for valve clearances.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 01:16:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
I did mine myself. The only items I didnt do were the engine vac sync, evaporative emission control system and lubing the head stem bearing. I spoke to several dealers who all wanted 400+ for this service and admitted they wouldnt be doing the above 3 jobs for that price. They were happy to do them, but they would charge more. Even said that it wasnt necessary this early in the bikes life. I would question wether or not theyre completing these jobs for the price theyve quoted. My 2 year warranty is about to run out, so Im now going to run my service schedule slightly different to what the manual states for my own ease. Oil and filter every 4000 miles (6400 kms), spark plugs every 8000 miles and air filter on every other spark plug change. As for the extra jobs Ive mentioned above, Im just going to have these done when the bike goes in for valve clearances.

The 12 tkm service (without the oil and filter) was/is 245.20 . I'm going to pick up the bike later today. It's not a bad idea to check the sync, a manometer is not that expensive (some 60 ). I would have checked the sync had I made the whole service myself.

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 05:45:08 PM »
The service guy mentioned they did the sync. It might be completely my imagination but my ass dyno tells there is more torque that can be felt on the 6th gear especially. Could be a placebo effect and nothing real. But it did not get worse and that's the most important thing and I got the stamp in case of a warranty claim  :002: