Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Might help...  (Read 313 times)

Offline bliss4z900

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Calgary
Might help...
« on: April 14, 2019, 02:46:25 AM »
Hi Folks, I thought I'll write something about some of my recent experiences that may be of interest. Last year I purchased a 2017 candy yellow green and right away I started making a list of basic mods for the bike like everyone else. These included NRG tail lights and front blinkers, CRG levers, mirrors, and exhaust. For the exhaust I decided on the Austin Racing GP1R decat which basically connects to the round pipe right after you cut the breadbox muffler.  AR do say there are some performance gains and but I mainly purchased it for the sound as I used it have it on my S1000rr. I believe it has one of the best sounding exhaust note out there and crazy loud and throaty. It also looks great!

I was very happy with it but something happened. I finally got a hold of a Carbonvice belly pan after trying to get one for 6 months, not cheap as it was $700cad shipped. All I heard was that it should fit with the bread box cut and surprise to me the headers also needed to be replaced as the stock headers come out too far in the front to fit. I tried every angle and spent a couple of days trying to fit it with no luck. So I had no choice where maybe I did but decided to get replacement headers. I wanted to keep the AR exhaust so I Googled and researched every available headers out there to see if I can make it work and connect to the AR exhaust but no luck again. I guess I could of customized a mid pipe and try to fit it but I decided to go another route, sell my AR and get a whole new system. After days of research I decided on the Akarapovic SS header and the shorty silencer.

I ordered the exhaust from a local store and received it the following day. As I'm an impatient person I had to start the install the same day. I read the instructions and saw all the postings for installation which looked pretty straightforward. After taking the exhaust off the first thing to do is place the sleeves that go inside the flanges and hand tighten them to the cylinder heads. Note, the sleeves should go in one way as there is a lip on one end realized that after installing three of them as both ends looked identical. After this, the headers go in. They go in relatively easily after you move the heads to the proper width and as people say make sure it goes in all the way. This is where the fustrastions and alot of profanity was said. The link pipe that connects the headers should easily slide in as per the instructions, NOT!! There was no way the two 2 into 1 pipes would fit to the two holes in the link pipe. I tried to squeeze them together, I pulled out the headers and reinserted them numerous times. I studied the shape of the headers and tried to figure out how in the world can those two pipes fit. After several hours of trying and ready to quit as it was 3:00am i decided to disconnect the springs from the collector to the headers and try to push it in further even though it appeared it was. I reattached the springs and voila!  You can only imagine the fatigue and jubilation. After that it was easy to complete the rest.

Here are a couple of photos of the finished product. The Akra has a nice deep throaty sound at idle but not as good as the AR I find. Higher revs it seems to lose some of the deeper sound. (Note the AR decat is listed for sale in the sale section and I only had it for 2000km)

Offline Tudtran

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Johnstown
Re: Might help...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:08:19 AM »
Nice. What is the purpose of the belly pan?

Offline bliss4z900

• Z900 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 06:33:33 AM »
Its to catch any fluids specifically oil during a race but I bought it for aesthetics.

Offline Sliver

• Z900 Pro
  • WaZZZZup
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Johannesburg
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:52:26 AM »
Nice bike  :062:

Online RR

• Z900 Member
  • 948 cc inline-four
  • Bike: 690SMCR/Z900
  • Town / City: Victoria
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »
Replacing an AR and headers with a belly pan with a few decals... The aesthetic must be important to you.

Any clue how many dB the AR produced at idle RPM?

Offline bliss4z900

• Z900 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 05:17:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sliver [+]
Nice bike  :062:
Thanks Sliver!

Offline bliss4z900

• Z900 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 05:21:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by RR [+]
Replacing an AR and headers with a belly pan with a few decals... The aesthetic must be important to you.

Any clue how many dB the AR produced at idle RPM?
I do like the look of them but I also replaced the stock headers for HP and torque gains. I really noticed it on lower and higher rpm.
Ive heard the dB is around 110 at idle but I never measured it.

Offline superpig

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 05:59:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by bliss4z900 [+]
Ive heard the dB is around 110 at idle but I never measured it.

Bloody hell.  :008:
ZXR400 / ZX6R / ZX10R / Z900

www.instagram.com/motomatt46

Devilishly fiery and combustable, strictly for masochists, the unhindged and those with reckless bravado.

Offline bliss4z900

• Z900 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 06:53:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by superpig [+]
Bloody hell.  :008:
Haha maybe at 10k rpm but I can tell you its still bloody loud at idle w/o the baffle.