Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
What Would You Do?
« on: April 14, 2019, 10:07:33 PM »
I have a brand new Road 5 on the bike. In one hour ride I picked up 2 nails, one small the other a typical roofing nail :230: Here is a photo of the nails along with the Ride-On that was recommended to me. I was told this would patch the tire enough and was a miracle product but when I pulled the roofing nail out after riding for a half hour after putting in the Ride-On the air came rushing out. I was told the sealant rushes into and seals the hole. Did not happen. Needless to say, I lost confidence in Ride-On though it seemed to seal up the small nail hole.

So now I pulled out the Stop and Go Tire Plugger. I have never used it but bought it along time ago because it was so highly rated. It was so easy to install a big mushroom plug, cut the end off, and pump up the tire. I have the FOBO TPMS set up on the bike and it is holding air great - so far.

So what would you do? I would imagine others have gone thru the same thing or unfortunately will in the future so I really would appreciate your opinions or experiences. I watched a video a member posted here regarding the same issue and he seemed to be all about plug it and ride it. I am leaning the same way as if I go out and buy a new tire and the same thing could happen again. I would think that this type of plug should work if it does not leak. I am all about safety especially with tires but do not have a big bank account ready to keep replacing tires. So with this tire I have a big mushroom plug and the Ride-On in the tire. What are your thoughts? Ride it until the wear bars are showing or ditch it out of safety concerns. Thanks, as I value everyone's opinions.

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Re: What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:42:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by SCrider [+]
What are your thoughts? Ride it until the wear bars are showing or ditch it out of safety concerns. Thanks, as I value everyone's opinions.

Rear tire I would not think twice .....if it is in the middle plug it, run it.
I personally would never plug a front though

Online porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »
I've used the stringy ones w/ reaming tool + other to set the plugs for years, couple tires ran it the rest of tread wear with no issues. Front is a bit sketchy (just don't think about it often lol).
Those nails aren't that big anyways.
Also depends where the hole is, obviously sidewall isn't good.
I'd plug 'em and ride on.   
"The ride is the reason"

Offline mininsx

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z 900, Concours 14
  • Town / City: Central Kentucky
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 06:40:36 PM »
I'd ride it and forget about it. Well, I'd check the pressure for a while to make sure the plug is holding. I got a small nail in the center of my rear tire last fall and I used Slime on it. It took a while for it to seal but it did eventually.

Offline Slowsv

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Queensland
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:58:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
Rear tire I would not think twice .....if it is in the middle plug it, run it.
I personally would never plug a front though

:0461:

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »
SCrider, dont know if youve read up much on the road 5s, but they are one of the few tyres that the manufacturer states can be repaired. I think they say a maximum of 4 repairs before it has to be replaced. As for the stop and go plugging kit, its going to be one of the next things I buy. Comes highly recommended by everyone Ive known thats used the kit and so far, everyone Ive known to have to use the kit has managed to carry on with the tyre until it wore out. If the repair using the stop and go kit has been successful and the tyre is holding pressure, Id forget about it and carry on. Unfortunately I couldnt do that a couple of weeks ago, got a tear in the rear road 5 on mine that couldnt be repaired. Had to replace the tyre which still had 5.1mm of tread left on it after just under 4000 miles. Ive put some puncture prevention/sealant stuff in my tyres as a fail safe which is supposed to be as good as a permanent repair if its ever used, but Id like the plug kit as a back up.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 01:41:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
SCrider, dont know if youve read up much on the road 5s, but they are one of the few tyres that the manufacturer states can be repaired. I think they say a maximum of 4 repairs before it has to be replaced. As for the stop and go plugging kit, its going to be one of the next things I buy. Comes highly recommended by everyone Ive known thats used the kit and so far, everyone Ive known to have to use the kit has managed to carry on with the tyre until it wore out. If the repair using the stop and go kit has been successful and the tyre is holding pressure, Id forget about it and carry on. Unfortunately I couldnt do that a couple of weeks ago, got a tear in the rear road 5 on mine that couldnt be repaired. Had to replace the tyre which still had 5.1mm of tread left on it after just under 4000 miles. Ive put some puncture prevention/sealant stuff in my tyres as a fail safe which is supposed to be as good as a permanent repair if its ever used, but Id like the plug kit as a back up.

Great information Rob, thanks! I used the Stop and Go to plug 2 spots. The first was a roofing nail and I could easily see that. The second nail hole was so small I could not find the leak for awhile. I used the soap and water trick and there she was, a hole so small you could not see it but the air was coming out and bubbling up for sure. The Stop and Go was so easy to use. Even with the small hole I was able to insert the mushroom plug with the gun effortlessly. I am happy to report that its holding air and I have full confidence in the tire now especially after your information. Sadly the Ride-On did not work. I was surprised it did not plug at least the small hole. I spoke to someone with the company and he said it does not always work and is more for balancing and preventative use as opposed to using it after a puncture. I am hoping that it will help seal the plugs I put in so it would not be a total waste of money.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 02:01:17 PM »
I would only plug a tire when on the go or remote location but once get back to where I can do a proper repair, I would remove tire and do a proper patch from the backside.

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 02:41:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
I would only plug a tire when on the go or remote location but once get back to where I can do a proper repair, I would remove tire and do a proper patch from the backside.

I truly believe that the mushroom design of the Stop and Go plug should be sufficient. No way the head of that is going to come back through those small holes. This is not the sticky string. These are huge plugs. The worse case and I do not believe it would be a slow leak. I am not racing etc. and will always have the repair kit with me in case of a further issue.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 02:56:30 PM »
No worries SC :028:

*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]

The stop and plug system plugs the tyre in exactly the same way a garage would, just without the need to take the tyre off. Have a look on youtube for it, theres some videos on there that people have done so you can see what the plug looks like from the inside of the tyre.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!