Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fluctuating Idle  (Read 830 times)

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Fluctuating Idle
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zen9 [+]
Also, which direction raises the rpms? Clockwise or counterclockwise?
Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

Offline Zen9

• Z900 Junior Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »
Sounds good, thanks, I'll get to it and see what happens...

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 08:44:36 PM »
Alright. I just want to make sure, do I adjust the warm idle screw while the bike is off but the engine is warmed up thoroughly, or can I do it while it's on and the engine is warmed up?

Also, which direction raises the rpms? Clockwise or counterclockwise?
Check your owners manual for the location of this hidden thumb wheel. You adjust it when the bike is warm (two or more bars showing on the temp gauge) and the bike is running in neutral. Once adjusted it pretty much never needs to be touched again.

This is your WARM idle adjustment that must be done with at least two bars showing.
There is also a cold idle adjustment that is done when cold but this is a story for another time.

Offline Zen9

• Z900 Junior Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 12:22:41 AM »
Great news everyone!

I adjusted the warm idle screw once the bike reached at least 3 bars on the temp gauge turning it clockwise to raise the rpms. Now it idles at about 1k at least, but I don't hear the fluctuating anymore.

I also decided to go to a dealer nearby to get the CEL checked. When I got there, the light was still on. They told me to pull up to the side of the building to the service area so I turned the bike on, and noticed the CEL was no longer on.
In the end, the service manager said the bike's computer pretty much corrected itself because I completed enough ignition cycles and ran it a certain distance to meet the criteria for the light to turn off and didn't think it will turn on again but said to keep an eye on it just in case.

Well thanks to everyone who helped! I hope I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 01:15:12 AM »
Great news everyone!

I adjusted the warm idle screw once the bike reached at least 3 bars on the temp gauge turning it clockwise to raise the rpms. Now it idles at about 1k at least, but I don't hear the fluctuating anymore.

I also decided to go to a dealer nearby to get the CEL checked. When I got there, the light was still on. They told me to pull up to the side of the building to the service area so I turned the bike on, and noticed the CEL was no longer on.
In the end, the service manager said the bike's computer pretty much corrected itself because I completed enough ignition cycles and ran it a certain distance to meet the criteria for the light to turn off and didn't think it will turn on again but said to keep an eye on it just in case.

Well thanks to everyone who helped! I hope I don't have to worry about this anymore.
We're here to help.  :821:
Now.....about the shock mount recall.... :164:

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 03:59:44 PM »
Reviving the thread a bit, but over the last week or so, Ive been noticing that once my bike is up to temperature, if I blip the throttle, for about 10-15 seconds afterwards the idle struggles a bit and drops somewhere between 500-1000k rpm. Learned where the idle adjuster is by reading this thread last night. Today, got the bike out, warmed it up and adjusted the idle up just slightly. Now holds around the 1k mark with no jumping up and down if I blip the throttle. Never thought to look for the adjuster before, but seems obvious now Ive done it.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!