Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 16 tooth front sprocket is perfect!  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Kalisto

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900 2017
Re: 16 tooth front sprocket is perfect!
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2019, 12:57:50 PM »

Thanks! Will order right away. Suppose you dont need any special tools then (I have changed sprockets before on older bikes but you never know nowadays.)

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kalisto [+]
Suppose you dont need any special tools

A hammer with a punch / screwdriver, the correct size socket and a breaker bar ( impact works wonders at times )

Online Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2019, 04:42:01 PM »
I changed my front sprocket to a 16 tooth. I can now get a much longer acceleration between gear changes but there is definitely a slight loss in torque. I'm not sure what I prefer as most of my riding in in town commuting. I've kept the old sprocket so I can always change back to the 15 tooth. 

Offline Jim

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Simoncrp [+]
My question is, how much acceleration/torque is lost by changing to a 16th front? Is it noticable? I'm not interested in doing wheelies, just don't want to lose power.
Pretty much all my riding is in town commuting. But the 1st and 2nd gears are so short! I just want to lengthen them a bit without losing too much acceleration.....

Just start using second instead of first gear when riding in town.

Offline Jim

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by GatorZ [+]
But keep in mind slightly differing aspect ratios of different tyres will make a slight difference to the wheel circumference.

It would be nice to get some data on different brands  of tires. Here's mine
Dunlop Q3+ 78" circumference 180/55r17

At a 78" circumference. Your rear wheel would have a RPM of 1,624.615 to be doing an actual 120 MPH.

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2019, 04:49:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jim [+]
At a 78" circumference. Your rear wheel would have a RPM of 1,624.615 to be doing an actual 120 MPH.

You must mean 1624.26812 :-)

Offline rwman

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Memphis
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2019, 02:05:19 AM »
1624.6153846154 rpm at 120 mph

Offline Scim77

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Pulborough
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2019, 07:29:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by matt-hudson [+]
Some of these comments are hard to read - like

"Check out Gearing Commander for gear ratio info and such"

don't use that - its wrong.

The Z900 uses the 'ABS sensor' ring as the speed sensor - unless you change the size of your tyre from 17inches then you speedo will stay the same - But keep in mind slightly differing aspect ratios of different tyres will make a slight difference to the wheel circumference.

In other words - changing sprocket will NOT change your speedo. As the speed is calculated based on rpm of the rear wheel and the circumference of the tyre.

Changing sprocket effects acelleration and not top speed - UNLESS you were bouncing off the limiter in 6th.

Chaning the sprockets and in this case up to 16 teeth from 15 - means that all the gears are taller - you just notice it more in 1st and 2nd because they are short gears -

Thanks for this, Matt.  It tallies with my on-the-road findings, comparing speedo reading against sat-nav reading.  When I changed from 15/44 to 16/41, I was puzzled to observe that I had the same discrepancy of around 6% faster between speedo and sat-nav, whereas I was expecting the speedo to now read up to 10% slower. But it read exactly the same, which is logical if the signal picks up from the rear wheel sensor. (Frontline please note)

I totally love this new gearing. I now have six useable gears and can decide between economical mileage-crunching cruising or blasting around the twisties. It still does everything I want with loads of grunt and endless pulling power - I am simply in a different gear than I used to be. Overtakes are delightful, since I can hang on without having to tread into another cog mid-manoeuvre. Highly recommended.
Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

Online Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Scim77 [+]

Thanks for this, Matt.  It tallies with my on-the-road findings, comparing speedo reading against sat-nav reading.  When I changed from 15/44 to 16/41, I was puzzled to observe that I had the same discrepancy of around 6% faster between speedo and sat-nav, whereas I was expecting the speedo to now read up to 10% slower. But it read exactly the same, which is logical if the signal picks up from the rear wheel sensor. (Frontline please note)

I totally love this new gearing. I now have six useable gears and can decide between economical mileage-crunching cruising or blasting around the twisties. It still does everything I want with loads of grunt and endless pulling power - I am simply in a different gear than I used to be. Overtakes are delightful, since I can hang on without having to tread into another cog mid-manoeuvre. Highly recommended.
I have changed the front sprocket to a 16 tooth but left the rear as it was. Am I correct in thinking that your combination makes the gearing even longer than my combination?

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simoncrp [+]
Am I correct

Yup