Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Loose gear lever clamp.  (Read 451 times)

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Loose gear lever clamp.
« on: April 22, 2019, 02:00:56 PM »
Just got home from work and when I put the stand down, I caught the gear lever with my leg. Thought it seemed a bit loose so had a further look at it in the garage. The gear lever mounting bolt was fine and I checked the torque, but the gear lever clamp on the shift shaft was able to slide back and forth on the shaft (insert innuendo here lol). Couldnt get to the nut without removing some of the bodywork, so didnt torque it, just nipped it tight with a ring spanner.

Might be worth checking on your own bikes.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Loose gear lever clamp.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 02:31:01 PM »
Not uncommon that it gets loose. The shift rod shaft has a groove cut in it that prevents the gear lever coming off even if the bolt it loose (done by design). The OEM bolt comes with dry thread-sealer and I would suggest one completely removes bolt and wire-wheel it to remove the thread sealer...then re-apply some blue loctite.

I've never used a torque wrench on that bolt...just a boxed wrench (you may call ring spanner).

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 02:45:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
Not uncommon that it gets loose. The shift rod shaft has a groove cut in it that prevents the gear lever coming off even if the bolt it loose (done by design). The OEM bolt comes with dry thread-sealer and I would suggest one completely removes bolt and wire-wheel it to remove the thread sealer...then re-apply some blue loctite.

I've never used a torque wrench on that bolt...just a boxed wrench (you may call ring spanner).

Thanks for that, looks like I need to borrow my mates wire wheel lol.
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline nugge

• Z900 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:33:05 AM »
I had a issue where it wouldn't shift from first to second cleanly on hard acceleration, just checked the clamp and damn sure it was loose. Ringspaned it tight and damn sure felt like new right after 👍

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 11:03:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by nugge [+]
I had a issue where it wouldn't shift from first to second cleanly on hard acceleration, just checked the clamp and damn sure it was loose. Ringspaned it tight and damn sure felt like new right after 👍

Yup, definitely worth checking.

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 01:39:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Just got home from work and when I put the stand down, I caught the gear lever with my leg. Thought it seemed a bit loose so had a further look at it in the garage. The gear lever mounting bolt was fine and I checked the torque, but the gear lever clamp on the shift shaft was able to slide back and forth on the shaft (insert innuendo here lol). Couldnt get to the nut without removing some of the bodywork, so didnt torque it, just nipped it tight with a ring spanner.

I'll be darned, I just went into the shed to check something on my shock for Matt and what do I see? Mine was loose as well. I've had it off a couple of times without re-Locktite-ing it. I snugged it up again. I'll keep an eye on it.

Then, to top it off I look at my other bike and see a small puddle of coolant underneath.  :138:  Loose hose clamp.
I need to start working out. 💪

Offline Pedro

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900 Performance
  • Town / City: Seixal
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »

Sorry Rob, due to my not so good english i would like if you (or another friend) can tell me what clamp are you talking about for me to check it also.
I foud this picture: https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/5966474787a8660adc400c5a/gear-change-mechanism
Is there the clamp you talked about?
Thank you.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 02:33:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pedro [+]
Sorry Rob, due to my not so good english i would like if you (or another friend) can tell me what clamp are you talking about for me to check it also.
I foud this picture: https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/5966474787a8660adc400c5a/gear-change-mechanism
Is there the clamp you talked about?
Thank you.

Its this one:

Offline Pedro

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900 Performance
  • Town / City: Seixal
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »
Its this one:

Thank you Rob, you were very kind. I will check it right away.  :062: