Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Loose gear lever clamp.  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
Re: Loose gear lever clamp.
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2019, 05:56:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
So what your saying is put it in the vise. Squeeze it tight. Then wedge it open with a screw driver. Replace on shaft and tighten bolt with less torque.
Is that right?

Yes that's what I tried to say.  :001:

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2019, 07:39:53 AM »
I cant see that the torque would need reducing, its barely worth a torque spec already at 9.8Nm. Thats only nipped tight as it is, so Id probably stick with that.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
I cant see that the torque would need reducing, its barely worth a torque spec already at 9.8Nm. Thats only nipped tight as it is, so Id probably stick with that.

No I didn't mean less torque, it tightened onto the spline with a lot less effort than before the mod and then I just fully tightened it after that. I like things tight, there is no way I would do less torque.

Offline BroskiiX

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: NWA
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2019, 11:39:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pedro [+]

So is there supposed to be a bit of play? I tightened the bolt as much as I can, I seen there is loctite on the threads, there's still a bit of looseness on there.

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2019, 03:29:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by BroskiiX [+]
*Originally Posted by Pedro [+]

So is there supposed to be a bit of play? I tightened the bolt as much as I can, I seen there is loctite on the threads, there's still a bit of looseness on there.

As long as the lever is clamped tight on the splined shaft and you can not slide the lever on the spline at all, its fine. Any other play in other areas is normal.