Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New to the Board, General Questions about the Z900 - light modifications  (Read 560 times)

Offline kampfzentrum

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: MILWAUKEE
Thanks in advance for those that shoot a response.

Got a 2017 Z900. No mods outside of a rear fender delete and Delkevic exhaust (cat back). I'm hearing talk about this AIS delete and am wondering what it is. From what I've Googled I'm guessing it's emissions BS that draws power. Sooo... No doubt I'd like a bit of power, and with a future exhaust manifold swap (staying Delkevic), so can somebody give me a brief rundown about this? Seen an AIS delete kit on eBay, but other YouTube videos just have a guy unplugging and plugging an air channel. Also, does this require a tune? Or is the ECU smart enough to balance out the AFR?

Other than that, what other DIY mods are people doing out there?

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
The quick and dirty of it...

The AIS on the Kawi is there to introduce air into the exhaust stream to help with (lower RPM) emissions. If you put an aftermarket header on, you are not required to delete or block-off the AIS. When you run an aftermarket header and leave the AIS intact, you will get some popping exhaust sounds on deceleration. Some people don't like that and opt to block it off to eliminate it. Another reason you would bypass/block it off is if you flash your ECU and this disables the factory O2 sensor and disables the AIS signal (so you should mechanically block it off).

Two methods to block off an AIS. You can use a marble or ball bearing shoved into (blocking off) the large hose going into the air box - leaving the entire AIS intact. Or you can get a block-off "kit" - includes plates and resistor plug to avoid tripping a code on dash/ecu.

On a Z900, aftermarket headers do not require a tune/flash for safe AFR's. Thats optional but will give a slight extra performance if done correctly.

Other popular mods? (I have almost all listed below)
ECU flash
Fender eliminator (license plate thing)
Handlebars
Windscreen
Bar-end mirrors
Quick-shifter
Aftermarket seat
$8 exhaust mod
EBC HH brake pads
Better tires
16-tooth front sprocket
LED headlights (this is controversial)

ps. Welcome to the forum  :158:

Offline kampfzentrum

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Thanks for the response, very informative.

It raised a few questions though. So best route would be to go with the aftermarket headers and leave the AIS - because I doubt the popping will upset me. Correct?

But... I guess I have to ask now, what is this "ECU flash" you are referring to? I'm going to assume it's a performance MAP that can be uploaded to the ECU for better power curves, correct? If so, how to get that? I'm going to throw two words out there: Power Commander?

So if I was to ECU flash, doing the AIS delete would probably be a beneficial thing, no?

Lastly, $8.00 exhaust mod?

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
*Originally Posted by kampfzentrum [+]
It raised a few questions though. So best route would be to go with the aftermarket headers and leave the AIS - because I doubt the popping will upset me. Correct?
There isn't really a wrong answer...do it and see if you like it. Just know you will need to re-install and run the O2 sensor if you don't re-flash ECU.

*Originally Posted by kampfzentrum [+]
what is this "ECU flash" you are referring to?

Lastly, $8.00 exhaust mod?
ECU flash info: https://www.z900forum.com/index.php/topic,1720.0.html

$8 exhaust mod: https://www.z900forum.com/index.php/topic,437.0.html

You are asking a lot of common questions we have all discussed before, since you are new here, spend some time searching and reading some older threads. Lots of good info to be found.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:42:56 PM by Frontline »

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Welcome aboard.  :821:
When it comes time for me to adjust the valves (take the tank off). I will delete the AIS only for the reason it'll get rid of the clutter over the top of the engine.
The AIS introduce fresh air into the exhaust headers so that  any unburned gas vapor is burned. There is no performance gained.

The best mod you can make IMO is to get rid of the OEM Dunflops if they are still on the bike.

Offline VIC8BALL

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Alexandria
If you are looking for ideas and discussion on mods, check out the What did you do to your Z today?  137 pages (and counting) of mods and discussions on mods...great place to start.

VIC

Offline OneOfTheNobodies

• Z900 Pro
  • OneOfTheNobodies
Z900 2018 Black - Full Akrapovic system - Rear Seat Cowl - Rizoma Tomok Mirrors - Rizoma Breaklever RRC - Rizoma Clutchlever RRC - Rizoma Grips Sportline - Rizoma Bobbins 8x35 - Rizoma Footpegs - Rizoma Barend weights - Rizoma Oile Cap - Rizoma turnsignal - Rizoma Numberplate - Radiator Guard - SW Motech Kickstand Enlarger - SW Motech Crash Bars - SW Motech Micro Tankbag - Eazi Grip Tank Protector - Luimoto Seat Cover+Gold Gel - HealTech Break Light Pro

Offline GatorZ

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: NH
I see you used the Motion Pro chain alignment tool. How did it match up with the gauge on the adjusters? You may have said it but I can only speak English

Thx

Offline kampfzentrum

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
The best mod you can make IMO is to get rid of the OEM Dunflops if they are still on the bike.

I assume that's a pun on the Dunlops? Yes, I really don't like them. That will be an upgrade soon.

Offline OneOfTheNobodies

• Z900 Pro
  • OneOfTheNobodies
*Originally Posted by GatorZ [+]
I see you used the Motion Pro chain alignment tool. How did it match up with the gauge on the adjusters? You may have said it but I can only speak English

Thx

The alignment tool is a pretty simple but usefull tool ... the alignment was spot on with the lighttech adjusters  .. I just wanted to be extra safe with the alignment since it was the first time using it .. it will proberbly not be used next time since I now trust that the adjusters are precise  :028:
Z900 2018 Black - Full Akrapovic system - Rear Seat Cowl - Rizoma Tomok Mirrors - Rizoma Breaklever RRC - Rizoma Clutchlever RRC - Rizoma Grips Sportline - Rizoma Bobbins 8x35 - Rizoma Footpegs - Rizoma Barend weights - Rizoma Oile Cap - Rizoma turnsignal - Rizoma Numberplate - Radiator Guard - SW Motech Kickstand Enlarger - SW Motech Crash Bars - SW Motech Micro Tankbag - Eazi Grip Tank Protector - Luimoto Seat Cover+Gold Gel - HealTech Break Light Pro