Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wonky shifting  (Read 626 times)

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Wonky shifting
« on: May 21, 2019, 04:57:56 PM »
So the bikes at almost 400 miles now of the break in and have noticed its had a "clunk" feel to it when shifting.
I haven't really been banging thru the gears hard, barely have to pull the clutch in, chain is lubed + tension still good.

Could this be anything to do with the break in oil, wondering if it would get better or is it just the way they are?
 I can live with it, just kinda annoys me at times and being brand new didn't expect it.... Has 5 year warranty  *knock on wood*
"The ride is the reason"

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Re: Wonky shifting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 05:10:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]
So the bikes at almost 400 miles now of the break in and have noticed its had a "clunk" feel to it when shifting.
I haven't really been banging thru the gears hard, barely have to pull the clutch in, chain is lubed + tension still good.

Could this be anything to do with the break in oil, wondering if it would get better or is it just the way they are?
 I can live with it, just kinda annoys me at times and being brand new didn't expect it.... Has 5 year warranty  *knock on wood*

How is your chain adjusted ? Every Kawi I have owned likes the chain adjusted on the tighter side of spec.

Offline Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »
Yes, this bike sometimes does have a clunky gear change, especially from 1st to 2nd. But sometimes it's so smooth, I have to double check I've actually changed gear! The bike seems to have different moods! I find that it's clunkier at higher revs as well.
But I know have 6,900 miles on mine and overall, the majority of changes are quite smooth. Here and there, the gear changes make a good clunk, and 1st to 2nd makes a double clunk!

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
How is your chain adjusted ? Every Kawi I have owned likes the chain adjusted on the tighter side of spec.

I haven't done anything to it, dealer prep or from factory?
It seems to be pretty good (slack wise), not over tight. 
"The ride is the reason"

Offline mininsx

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z 900, Concours 14
  • Town / City: Central Kentucky
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 06:11:41 PM »
If you're rolling off/closing the throttle when shifting try not doing that, and don't take your time shifting, do it quick. Chances are it's you and not a problem with the bike. My Z shifted like butter from day one, but I never close the throttle between shifts, I roll off just enough to match the next gear.  :821:

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »
I haven't done anything to it, dealer prep or from factory?
It seems to be pretty good (slack wise), not over tight.

For me a chain on the looser side of spec does not shift as well / clean as a chain on the tighter side of spec ... IMO

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 08:29:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
For me a chain on the looser side of spec does not shift as well / clean as a chain on the tighter side of spec ... IMO

I found this too. Slack is supposed to be 25-35mm but gear changes seem to get harsher once the slack gets north of 31mm or so. Also make sure gear changes are done firmly and quickly and not rolling the throttle off, just a very small blip off the power seems to help. Having said that, I also find that letting the clutch out too quickly can result in clunky changes. Try changing quickly as above, but waiting a split second longer before releasing the clutch.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Marco

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 Performance Ed
  • Town / City: Carrickfergus
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 08:31:02 PM »
Me too
Z900 Performance Edition  Akrapovic ASZT can Delkevic headers  Bar end mirrors  High seat  R&G rad guard   R&G tail tidy  Chinese levers Hyperpro fork spring kit.  Supersprox Stealth rear sprocket.  Nitron NTR1 shock absorber.

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 12:56:55 AM »

Did your dealer tell you there was break-in oil? I've only bought one bike and the dealer told me so, also there were warnings in the owners manual. I didn't see that with this bike.
I changed my oil at 70 miles and have never seen anything nastier. It was grey in color and flowed like dishwater.
The bike that definitely did have Break-in oil, when I changed it, it looked like normal oil.

My Z shifts perfectly. I'd change out that oil now.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 02:58:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
I found this too. Slack is supposed to be 25-35mm but gear changes seem to get harsher once the slack gets north of 31mm or so. Also make sure gear changes are done firmly and quickly and not rolling the throttle off, just a very small blip off the power seems to help. Having said that, I also find that letting the clutch out too quickly can result in clunky changes. Try changing quickly as above, but waiting a split second longer before releasing the clutch.

Clutch lever is WAY easier than my ZRX (that's not cable either). I'll try these bits and see how it goes.
"The ride is the reason"