Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: cut open oil filer after first change.  (Read 1129 times)

Offline rockman

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: the red one
  • Town / City: N IL
cut open oil filer after first change.
« on: May 21, 2019, 06:32:13 PM »
I've thought about doing this every time ive changed oil but never bothered. Well I got nothing else going on so....

So finally did my first oil change on the bike. I blew past the 600mi timeframe and its at 1070something  :027: oops lol. I used Mobile 1 racing 4t 10w-40 and a K&N 303 filter.

Also if anyone is thinking about using that i'd suggest you check your local farm & barn/fleet. The oil was $2 cheaper per qt and the filter was $1 cheaper than the big 3 auto stores.

~~~Jeez now that im seeing the picture on the computer screen it the reflection from the flash is kinda throwing the visual results off. Basically there were tiny flecks in the valleys of the outer face and the inner was free of debris. 

Offline Rattlesnake

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Fresno, Ca
Re: cut open oil filer after first change.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:40:32 PM »
Jesus, it looks dirty to me with low mileage. Mine is the same. Makes me want to change my oil every 1k miles lol.

Online Jim

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 11:12:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rattlesnake [+]
Jesus, it looks dirty to me with low mileage. Mine is the same. Makes me want to change my oil every 1k miles lol.

Thats his very first oil change. So it has all the break in dirt on it.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 02:43:19 PM »
 :460:
I'm gonna do my first change shortly (currently 416 miles), strain the oil thru a coffee filter or something + open up the filter- got me curious now.
"The ride is the reason"

Offline rockman

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 08:20:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]
:460:
I'm gonna do my first change shortly (currently 416 miles), strain the oil thru a coffee filter or something + open up the filter- got me curious now.

I remember someone posted a link to another site where someone cut their z filter open and it looked, to me, worse than how mine looked. I'm really liking the mobile 1 oil though. Seems quieter and shifts smoother. One time I was just crusing pretty slow in 6th(stock oil at the time) and it think I could hear the gears over the exhaust and I was riding the same way yesterday and I couldn't hear any of the motor, only the exhaust hum. 

*Originally Posted by Rattlesnake [+]

Dirty as in metaly bits? or dirty as in dark oil? Anyway when I undid the drain bolt I was sorta surprised at the color as well. Im not a pro or super knowledgeable really but I was like hmm thats pretty dark.   

Offline Rattlesnake

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Fresno, Ca
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 04:00:02 AM »
You got me curious so I did my second oil change today. My first break in oil change was done at 655 miles. Today, bike is at 1856 miles. After approximately 1200 miles, it looks dirty as hell, at least to my standards. Oil is really dark.

Break in service was done using Mobil 1 Racing 4T and oem filter. Im using the same products again on the second time. Im no expert but I sure as hell dont like it. Guess I will be changing oil more often?

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 02:10:28 PM »
Rockman,
Could the outer part just been some particles from cutting it open, what'd you use?
Supposed to rain here all weekend so kill time out in the garage & away from the Wife  :030:

"The ride is the reason"

Offline Zynycalwon

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 12:49:21 AM »
It's normal for the oil to get dark from use, means it's doing its job. So the color is not necessarily an accurate indication of when it's time for an oil change. The articles below have some good info on the topic.

https://blog.amsoil.com/why-does-motor-oil-turn-black

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/5-engine-oil-myths2.htm

The outer part of the filter is where the incoming oil hits first so it makes sense that it may show any metal flakes (from break-in). From there the oil flows through the filter element and then out the hole in the middle (that has threads and screws on to the engine).

Offline rockman

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 12:23:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]
Rockman,
Could the outer part just been some particles from cutting it open, what'd you use?
Supposed to rain here all weekend so kill time out in the garage & away from the Wife  :030:

I used a grinder with the stream of sparks blowing away but I'm sure there is a bit of particles from that in the can but in the filter itself it was from the motor.  The bits were pretty uniform all around.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 02:11:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by rockman [+]

I used a grinder with the stream of sparks blowing away but I'm sure there is a bit of particles from that in the can but in the filter itself it was from the motor.  The bits were pretty uniform all around.

I was going to hack saw mine apart but had 1 crap blade and Memorial Day ride planned so I just filtered some with a coffee filter.
Oil looked clean @ 462 miles. I did find a few very fine grainy pieces with a magnet, nothing to really worry about.

"The ride is the reason"