Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pilot Road 5 or Pilot Power 3?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline nugge

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Pilot Road 5 or Pilot Power 3?
on: June 01, 2019, 10:12:23 PM
Got 10800km on the original Dunlops so about time to get a new set.
The Dunlops haven't exactly given off a confidence in cornering since every time you open the throttle at lower speeds your cornering turns into a drift show and in the wet a tank slapping competition.

Funny how long the dunlops have lasted tbh.

Anyone have any experience from both the Power 3 and Road 5?

Saw threads on the R5 but none on the P3.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Pilot Road 5 or Pilot Power 3?
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 11:24:14 PM
IMO, a better comparison would be between the R5 and the Power RS. The P3 is discontinued... If you really like the P3, maybe think about Bridgestone S22 (its a brand new line).

Don't think anyone is going to argue the R5 is the wet weather king so if thats the conditions you often find yourself in, its simple. I think my next tire (have Q3+ with issues) will be the P-RS as I don't care about wet tire...the P-RS is practically the same as R5 but more emphasis on the dry than wet.

Online cjskinner

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 12:48:58 AM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
IMO, a better comparison would be between the R5 and the Power RS. The P3 is discontinued... If you really like the P3, maybe think about Bridgestone S22 (its a brand new line).

Don't think anyone is going to argue the R5 is the wet weather king so if thats the conditions you often find yourself in, its simple. I think my next tire (have Q3+ with issues) will be the P-RS as I don't care about wet tire...the P-RS is practically the same as R5 but more emphasis on the dry than wet.

Can't argu with that, I got the PR5 exactly because of the weather. I can ride on a beautiful sunny day and one hour later full rain... Roads are often wet in the mornings.
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline nugge

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 09:46:49 AM
Guess looks are deceiving. The Power RS threads give off a not that wet-grippy but apparently it is.

I had PR4:s on my old Z750.

Guess im getting the Power RS:s then :D

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 11:40:32 AM
*Originally Posted by cjskinner [+]
Can't argu with that, I got the PR5 exactly because of the weather. I can ride on a beautiful sunny day and one hour later full rain... Roads are often wet in the mornings.

So I only have a few miles on them so still learning... Do you find that the pr5 warms up quickly or does take some miles.
2017 Z900

Online cjskinner

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 01:28:29 PM
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
So I only have a few miles on them so still learning... Do you find that the pr5 warms up quickly or does take some miles.

Hard to say, I'm really not an expert, still learning a lot of stuff. I usually warm them up myself on a slow road by leaning on both side. Other than that... I'm not the guy you're looking for to give you an answer haha
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 02:56:15 PM
*Originally Posted by cjskinner [+]
Hard to say, I'm really not an expert, still learning a lot of stuff. I usually warm them up myself on a slow road by leaning on both side. Other than that... I'm not the guy you're looking for to give you an answer haha

:821:
2017 Z900

Online Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 10:35:09 AM
A bit of info for you to put in your book of useless information.
From the Michelin website on a Z900 test.
* According to internal studies at Fontange, a Michelin test track under the supervision of an independent witness, comparing MICHELIN Road 5 tyres with METZELER Roadtec 01 , DUNLOP Road Smart 3, CONTINENTAL Road Attack 3, PIRELLI Angel GT  and BRIDGESTONE T30 EVO tyres, in dimensions 120/70 ZR17 (front) and 180/55/ZR17 (rear) on Suzuki Bandit 1250.
** External tests conducted by the MTE Test Centre invoked by Michelin, comparing MICHELIN Road 5 tyres with MICHELIN Pilot Road 4, METZELER Roadtec 01 , DUNLOP Road Smart 3, CONTINENTAL Road Attack 3, PIRELLI Angel GT  and BRIDGESTONE T30 EVO tyres, in dimensions 120/70 ZR17 (front) and 180/55/ZR17 (rear) on a Kawasaki Z900 giving best dry performance globally and #1 for Handling, #2 Stability, #2 for Dry grip.

The Road 5s are officially just called Road 5's now, not Pilot Road 5's, but I notice a lot of people selling them still call em Pilot Road 5's, gets confusing sometimes.
Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:37:32 AM by Greyhairhoon