Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stock battery question  (Read 1643 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Spade

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 20
  • Bike: 17’ Z9 StreetFighter
  • Town / City: San Diego
  • Country: us
Stock battery question
« on: June 07, 2019, 02:10:49 AM »
What’s up, y’all?!

So, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves with any motorcycle or car is having an electrical system that is sub par. At idle, the headlight/cluster/taillight all dim down a bit. Soon as I crank the throttle up a bit everything perks up just fine. Not sure if the rectifier is failing or if the battery is a dud. HELP. Can’t stand that everything dims.

I’m sure y’all have addressed this issue someplace here in the forums but, I couldn’t find an exact answer.

Thinking of replacing both the rectifier AND the battery (not sure if I want to keep it at led acid or go lithium) to see if that fixes it.

Or is this just a Z900 thing?

Either way, it’s driving me crazy...

Online Frontline

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • *
  • Posts: 648
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 04:08:50 AM »
Ride more = worry less I always say

Just know that at idle, the charging system is basically at same voltage as a static battery. I can't tell you to ignore that but it seems this is an issue with you. These bikes don't have fancy electronics so Kawasaki didn't feel it was necessary to have a beefy charging system. It is what it is and you should try not to worry about problems that aren't really there. But before you bring out the pitch forks, you should put a meter on the battery and monitor the voltage when off, then running...then idle...then at 4K because right now we don't know if there is a problem with the Z900 or issues with you (which we can't fix).

Offline zed9

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3139
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 04:21:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Spade [+]
What’s up, y’all?!

So, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves with any motorcycle or car is having an electrical system that is sub par. At idle, the headlight/cluster/taillight all dim down a bit. Soon as I crank the throttle up a bit everything perks up just fine. Not sure if the rectifier is failing or if the battery is a dud. HELP. Can’t stand that everything dims.

I’m sure y’all have addressed this issue someplace here in the forums but, I couldn’t find an exact answer.

Thinking of replacing both the rectifier AND the battery (not sure if I want to keep it at led acid or go lithium) to see if that fixes it.

Or is this just a Z900 thing?

Either way, it’s driving me crazy...
Before you buy anything there are many videos available on YouTube instructing how to test the charging system including the alternator, battery and  the regulator/rectifier.
It doesn't take that long.
To test the R/R, You'll need a VOM meter which does diodes is all.

Offline Greyhairhoon

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 601
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
  • Country: au
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 10:16:51 AM »
OP. I just put a Lithium battery in my bike yesterday, that's not your problem of course, but what I am saying is I did a charge test to see if our bikes were ok for Lithium charge specs, and they are.
So for your info or to compare charging rates, mine at about 1100 rpm, idle for me, was about 13.6ish volts, just above idle at about 12 to 1300 rpm it was 14.2ish and then above that it was always at about 14.6 at all other revs. I was pretty happy with the charging down very low in the revs.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:19:16 AM by Greyhairhoon »

Offline zed9

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3139
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 12:55:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
OP. I just put a Lithium battery in my bike yesterday, that's not your problem of course, but what I am saying is I did a charge test to see if our bikes were ok for Lithium charge specs, and they are.
So for your info or to compare charging rates, mine at about 1100 rpm, idle for me, was about 13.6ish volts, just above idle at about 12 to 1300 rpm it was 14.2ish and then above that it was always at about 14.6 at all other revs. I was pretty happy with the charging down very low in the revs.
What are the requirements for the lithium battery?
Did you use a VOM or a battery tester (which will put a load instead of just a surface voltage)?

Offline Spade

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 20
  • Bike: 17’ Z9 StreetFighter
  • Town / City: San Diego
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 06:30:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
Ride more = worry less I always say

Just know that at idle, the charging system is basically at same voltage as a static battery. I can't tell you to ignore that but it seems this is an issue with you. These bikes don't have fancy electronics so Kawasaki didn't feel it was necessary to have a beefy charging system. It is what it is and you should try not to worry about problems that aren't really there. But before you bring out the pitch forks, you should put a meter on the battery and monitor the voltage when off, then running...then idle...then at 4K because right now we don't know if there is a problem with the Z900 or issues with you (which we can't fix).

Much love, Frontline! Yea I can be a bit obsessive. I’ll run the charge test and post results. Thanks y’all!

Offline Spade

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 20
  • Bike: 17’ Z9 StreetFighter
  • Town / City: San Diego
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 06:32:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
OP. I just put a Lithium battery in my bike yesterday, that's not your problem of course, but what I am saying is I did a charge test to see if our bikes were ok for Lithium charge specs, and they are.
So for your info or to compare charging rates, mine at about 1100 rpm, idle for me, was about 13.6ish volts, just above idle at about 12 to 1300 rpm it was 14.2ish and then above that it was always at about 14.6 at all other revs. I was pretty happy with the charging down very low in the revs.

Which battery did you go with? Do you have any dimming at idle? Tell me moooore!

Offline Spade

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 20
  • Bike: 17’ Z9 StreetFighter
  • Town / City: San Diego
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Before you buy anything there are many videos available on YouTube instructing how to test the charging system including the alternator, battery and  the regulator/rectifier.
It doesn't take that long.
To test the R/R, You'll need a VOM meter which does diodes is all.

Link? I’m a complete noob when it comes to bikes :-/

Offline zed9

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3139
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 07:39:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Spade [+]
Link? I’m a complete noob when it comes to bikes :-/
Here's one of many but IMO, Shane Conley has one of the best YouTube channels out there. He's an instructor and does real world motorcycle repairs. He's not fancy but he is highly expert.
Here's part one of a five part series using a dedicated tester.


Offline Greyhairhoon

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 601
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
  • Country: au
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 01:03:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
What are the requirements for the lithium battery?
Did you use a VOM or a battery tester (which will put a load instead of just a surface voltage)?

I just tested with a volt meter as per this from their website.

Q:How do I know if my motorcycle can use Skyrich engine start Lithium battery?
A:Lithium battery requires both over discharge and battery overcharge, especially that the charging voltage cannot be higher than 15V. Check the motorcycle charging voltage as follow before installation
Step1: Connect the battery terminal with the motorcycle’s wire, Red wire connect positive, Black wire connect negative, then start the motorcycle

Step2: Connect the charging voltage tester with the motorcycle’s wire. Red wire connect positive, Black wire connect negative, the tester indicate the battery open circuit voltage

Step3: Disconnect battery terminal with motorcycle positive wire, then the tester will indicate the motorcycle output charging voltage, please control the motorcycle rotate speed at 2000 rotate and 5000 rotate, and check the charging voltage, the charging voltage is ok if charging voltage between 14.0-15.0V, and the battery can work normally. The battery cannot be full charged if the charging voltage less than 14.0V, or the battery would be overcharged if the charging voltage above 15.0V. These two status will damage the battery accordingly, the motorcycle charging system shall be repaired before battery installation

Step4: Stall the motorcycle and take off the key, Connect the multimeter (milliamperes mode function ) with battery and motorcycle output wire(Positive terminal or Negative terminal) in series, Then check the motorcycle power consumption by Milliamperes model. To make sure the current deliver less than 1mA during motorcycle stall

Step5: if the motorcycle passes the above test, the Skyrich engine starts lithium battery can be installed on the motorcycle.