Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stock battery question  (Read 1067 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Spade

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 16
  • Bike: 17 Z9 StreetFighter
  • Town / City: San Diego
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 03:03:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
I just tested with a volt meter as per this from their website.

Link to the battery you installed? Please :)

Offline zed9

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2858
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 03:21:04 AM »
Greyhairhoon...From what you've posted, I imagine our system puts out less than 14 volts at idle, which isn't good for these Li batteries. But I don't know for sure as I haven't tested it. And I'm not sure the juice the computer draws when the ignition is off.
The lead acid batteries are more rugged in that respect. Just for fun I'll test mine soon.

Online Greyhairhoon

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 541
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
  • Country: au
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 04:12:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Greyhairhoon...From what you've posted, I imagine our system puts out less than 14 volts at idle, which isn't good for these Li batteries. But I don't know for sure as I haven't tested it. And I'm not sure the juice the computer draws when the ignition is off.
The lead acid batteries are more rugged in that respect. Just for fun I'll test mine soon.

Well I just went to go for a ride and the bloody thing is dead, the battery is weak as piss piece of crap, so yeah you might be right. I took the chance and did the experiment, that's it back to a good old lead acid for me, I normally get a good AGM so that's what I will do. Worst part is going through all the return crap with companies.
 :019:

Offline Spade

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 16
  • Bike: 17 Z9 StreetFighter
  • Town / City: San Diego
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 06:38:39 AM »
Whew. Thanks for taking the hit for us!

Offline zed9

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2858
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
Well I just went to go for a ride and the bloody thing is dead, the battery is weak as piss piece of crap, so yeah you might be right. I took the chance and did the experiment, that's it back to a good old lead acid for me, I normally get a good AGM so that's what I will do. Worst part is going through all the return crap with companies.
 :019:
I saw that on the other thread and replied.
I wonder what the company will have to say?

Offline Spade

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 16
  • Bike: 17 Z9 StreetFighter
  • Town / City: San Diego
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »
Im assuming this means that in general our bikes are not extremely compatible with lithium ion batteries, right? Or is it just SkyRich batteries?

Online Greyhairhoon

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 541
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
  • Country: au
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 11:18:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Spade [+]
Im assuming this means that in general our bikes are not extremely compatible with lithium ion batteries, right? Or is it just SkyRich batteries?

Well it is not compatible with me anyway. A battery that goes flat in a week, (it might just be faulty battery) but it had the flat feel about it, for whatever reason is no good to me.
The factory immobilizer is the only draw on it, I didn't check what the draw is, but I don't care because it just shouldn't be an issue with a good battery for weeks or months with a drain like that. The stock battery never had an issue with the normal drain of the bikes electrics.

Online ras

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2962
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 11:41:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
The stock battery never had an issue with the normal drain of the bikes electrics.

I was bad and never hooked my stock  battery up to a tender over the winter....a solid 6 month's. She is stored inside heated and the bike fired right up so I will continue to stick with stock style batteries LoL

Online Greyhairhoon

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 541
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
  • Country: au
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 12:09:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
I was bad and never hooked my stock  battery up to a tender over the winter....a solid 6 month's. She is stored inside heated and the bike fired right up so I will continue to stick with stock style batteries LoL

Yeah exactly, that's how a good battery should work. I always rotate the Ctek tender thing I have every few weeks around all the batteries here. But 1 week going flat is pushing it for me.
It was an experiment trying one, and it might be just a dud battery, others on here have had no issues with Lithium.
Hows those Road5's going?

Online ras

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2962
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
  • Country: us
Re: Stock battery question
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 12:34:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
Hows those Road5's going?

I have just about 1k on them and so far so good lol.  They handle well and have worked well in the wet. We will see as the miles add up to get a better idea.