Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 85KW on sticker?  (Read 400 times)

Offline Wonderboykie

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
85KW on sticker?
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »
Hey guys, got a quick question regarding the specification sticker on the z900 frame. According to the spec page, the z900 is supposed to be a 92kw bike (which I have)

Can anyone please explain to me why there's a sticker on the frame (right side under the tail) that says 85kw? Does everyone else have this too?

Thanks!

Offline Flyingraptor

• Z900 Junior Member
Re: 85KW on sticker?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 03:20:19 PM »
In Belgium, the Z900 can be bought in 3 versions: full power (92 kW), 85 kW or 35 kW (A2 licence version). The 85 kW is purely offered for lower taxation, and requires a downtune of the 92 kW version. The dealership has to order this downtune kit from Kawasaki, which has to be registered to belong to this particular bike. In reality however, most dealerships will offer you to register the bike at 85 kW (thus with lower taxation), order the downtune, link the paperwork to your bike, but just toss the kit in the bin. Probably this is what happened to your bike as well.

Offline Wonderboykie

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 03:24:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Flyingraptor [+]
In Belgium, the Z900 can be bought in 3 versions: full power (92 kW), 85 kW or 35 kW (A2 licence version). The 85 kW is purely offered for lower taxation, and requires a downtune of the 92 kW version. The dealership has to order this downtune kit from Kawasaki, which has to be registered to belong to this particular bike. In reality however, most dealerships will offer you to register the bike at 85 kW (thus with lower taxation), order the downtune, link the paperwork to your bike, but just toss the kit in the bin. Probably this is what happened to your bike as well.

Thanks for the response!

Interesting though, I didn't know this was a thing and the dealer didn't mention it to me either. I did visit another dealer in the area by chance and their z900's all had the 85kw sticker on them as well. I'll ask my own dealer about it when I take it for service. But what I'm wondering is, if the 85kw version is in reality just a down tuned 92kw one, why would it come out of the box with a 85kw sticker? Shouldn't it say 92kw?

Offline Wonderboykie

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 05:36:22 PM »
Just to give everybody an idea what sticker I'm talking about. I've attached a pic:

Offline RR

• Z900 Pro
  • Personalized
  • Bike: 690SMCR/Z900
  • Town / City: Victoria
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:14:55 PM »
The full version has larger diameter headers and a full black engine, instead of a grey cover.

Check and determine.

Online zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »
I have the 92 kW version, but the sticker says 85 kW. Maybe it's 85 kW @4750 rpm (edit: well, maybe not, would be too much at that rpm...). Anyway, the engine is 92.2 kW for a fact, that is how it is registered.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:53:20 PM by zeta »

Offline Flyingraptor

• Z900 Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 08:19:34 AM »
I checked on my bike. It also carries the 85 kW sticker. It is registered as a 85 kW bike, but it's suposed to be a 92 kW in reality. I guess the 85 kW sticker is needed to have an official registration of the engine output.
Or do you guys think otherwise?

With regard to the smaller diameter headers on the "low power" models, I think this is the case for the 35 kW model. I noticed another customer with the 35 kW model, whose bike indeed had thinner headers. I don't think the 85 kW and 92 kW models have any difference in "hardware".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:22:34 AM by Flyingraptor »

Offline RR

• Z900 Pro
  • Personalized
  • Bike: 690SMCR/Z900
  • Town / City: Victoria
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 09:41:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Flyingraptor [+]
I checked on my bike. It also carries the 85 kW sticker. It is registered as a 85 kW bike, but it's suposed to be a 92 kW in reality. I guess the 85 kW sticker is needed to have an official registration of the engine output.
Or do you guys think otherwise?

With regard to the smaller diameter headers on the "low power" models, I think this is the case for the 35 kW model. I noticed another customer with the 35 kW model, whose bike indeed had thinner headers. I don't think the 85 kW and 92 kW models have any difference in "hardware".

35kW yes, my bad.

Offline Wonderboykie

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 10:39:45 AM »
I went around and checked on the internet and found a French forum that had an answer. I'm not sure how correct the text was since I used Google translate.

In short; A 85kw and 70kw model do not exist. The 92.2kw model has kits available that limit the engine power to 85 and 70kw respectively. These have to be requested and applied by the dealer. These also cost extra money.

The engine itself is rated at 92.2kw but the (euro?) law requires the power of the rear wheel and not the engine to be mentioned on the frame. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. But as far as I can tell, there are no z900s that have 92.2kw mentioned on the sticker.

I also checked my official bike form and it also states that the bike is rated at 92.2kw. Same when I look at the license plate registry. The 35kw version has a silver/gray top part on the engine block by which you can recognize it.

Offline Flyingraptor

• Z900 Junior Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
I think you're right. I was informed that most customers have their bike registered at 85 kW to benefit from the lower taxation. This can only be done when this downtune kit is installed, lowering the power output from 92 to 85 kW. As said before, in reality, the kit is not actually installed, but tossed in the bin. It then depends on the dealership whether they are nice enough to not charge you for the kit.  :001: