Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Foam grips/covers?  (Read 382 times)

Offline rockman

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: N IL
Foam grips/covers?
« on: June 12, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »
Anyone use these?

https://www.ebay.com/p/2pcs-Handlebar-Grip-Pipe-Motorcycle-Grip-Covers-Foam-Anti-Vibration-Comfort/24025016298?iid=302930563289&rt=nc

I saw a z900 vid about something else and the dude quickly mentioned them. I've never knew they existed until now

Offline Scim77

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Pulborough
Re: Foam grips/covers?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:52:17 AM »
I tried them on a Guzzi that I owned a few years ago. The bike generated high frequency tingling vibes that eventually made my hands feel a bit numb. The foam covers help to mask it somewhat but they do made the grip diameter bigger and don't last very long. Soak up the rain too. Cheap enough to try though.
The best fix for tingles on the Guzzi was to fill the bars with fine lead shot pellets and fit the heaviest bar-ends I could find, thereby altering the resonant frequency of the bars.
Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

Offline rockman

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 10:03:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Scim77 [+]
I tried them on a Guzzi that I owned a few years ago. The bike generated high frequency tingling vibes that eventually made my hands feel a bit numb. The foam covers help to mask it somewhat but they do made the grip diameter bigger and don't last very long. Soak up the rain too. Cheap enough to try though.
The best fix for tingles on the Guzzi was to fill the bars with fine lead shot pellets and fit the heaviest bar-ends I could find, thereby altering the resonant frequency of the bars.

Increasing the diameter is my main reason why I'm going to order them. Although I've read twice now about them holding water.... does morning dew get in them?

.... I could buy a pack of rubbers for them lol
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:05:32 AM by rockman »

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 10:22:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by rockman [+]

Increasing the diameter is my main reason why I'm going to order them. Although I've read twice now about them holding water.... does morning dew get in them?

.... I could buy a pack of rubbers for them lol

Ironically enough, I fitted a set of these 2 days ago. Theyre a brand called grip puppies rather than a cheap set, they were 13 off eBay. They increase the diameter of the bars, reduce vibration, more comfortable to grip and over the last 2 days Ive been riding in torrential rain and they havent been holding water, or not that Ive noticed at least. So far so good I think. Theyre a bit weird to get used to as your grip is that much wider, but definitely comfortable and getting used to them now.

Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Scim77

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Pulborough
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »
Thanks Rob.  Hopefully the British-made "Grip-Puppies" should be more durable the many Chinese copies on the market. I have just ordered some too, since I have 1000 miles in Wales during four consecutive days in July. Every bit of comfort helps!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:00:21 AM by Scim77 »
Who in their right mind would design a vehicle that falls over when it stops?

Offline rockman

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 11:24:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Ironically enough, I fitted a set of these 2 days ago. Theyre a brand called grip puppies rather than a cheap set, they were 13 off eBay. They increase the diameter of the bars, reduce vibration, more comfortable to grip and over the last 2 days Ive been riding in torrential rain and they havent been holding water, or not that Ive noticed at least. So far so good I think. Theyre a bit weird to get used to as your grip is that much wider, but definitely comfortable and getting used to them now.

Yup thanks for chiming in.... I did see that brand aswell but didnt do any research after I saw them. I see on Amazon they have a ton of good reviews. A guy said he had a set for 3 years, 50k miles before replacing them, wow.

Any tips on fitting them? I see people saying hair spray and some say use dish soap. I'd absolutely hate to trash one right off the bat.

I'll get those instead of the Chinese ones

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by rockman [+]
Yup thanks for chiming in.... I did see that brand aswell but didnt do any research after I saw them. I see on Amazon they have a ton of good reviews. A guy said he had a set for 3 years, 50k miles before replacing them, wow.

Any tips on fitting them? I see people saying hair spray and some say use dish soap. I'd absolutely hate to trash one right off the bat.

I'll get those instead of the Chinese ones

Fitting them was really easy, just trim them down to the length you want using a Stanley knife (box cutter), then get some soapy water and smear it on the inside of the foam, then just slide it on. Youll probably have to twist them back and forth to get them on and it also helps if you put a bit of the soapy water on your existing grips. Another thing I learned is to make sure your knife is REALLY sharp. The first one I trimmed was a pain as the blade had filled a bit. Put a new blade in the knife for the second one and it was easy. Once theyre on, just let them dry out before using the bike, or as I did, just put your heated grips on for 5 minutes :028:
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Modene

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Midland
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 12:04:10 PM »
Rub dish soap mixed with water & rub bike grips & the inside of grip puppies with with the soapy water .Slide on. Important thing dont ride / put hands on grips for at least over night so the soapy water can dry.Ive put these on 5 different bikes very happy with them.
Modene

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Scim77 [+]
Thanks Rob.  Hopefully the British-made "Grip-Puppies" should be more durable the many Chinese copies on the market. I have just ordered some too, since I have 1000 miles in Wales during four consecutive days in July. Every bit of comfort helps!

Sounds like a good tour coming up. Id fit them before going though, so you can get used to them. The first morning I used mine they felt really weird. On the way home it was better, and better again today. Just getting used to the wide grip I guess. Also if it helps give you an idea of the difference in diameter, with just my oxford heated grips, the tips of my fore and middle fingers touched the bend in the middle of my thumbs. With these fitted, its now the tip of those two fingers meeting the tip of my thumb. Im now laughing at my phone as Im typing as I can see you making a circle with your fingers as you read this lol.

Offline rockman

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 12:35:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Fitting them was really easy, just trim them down to the length you want using a Stanley knife (box cutter), then get some soapy water and smear it on the inside of the foam, then just slide it on. Youll probably have to twist them back and forth to get them on and it also helps if you put a bit of the soapy water on your existing grips. Another thing I learned is to make sure your knife is REALLY sharp. The first one I trimmed was a pain as the blade had filled a bit. Put a new blade in the knife for the second one and it was easy. Once theyre on, just let them dry out before using the bike, or as I did, just put your heated grips on for 5 minutes :028:

Great, thanks again.