Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tire plugs  (Read 1011 times)

Offline ScottMA64

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Austin
Re: Tire plugs
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 07:29:19 PM »
I've been riding street bikes since I was 16 (55 now) and I will NEVER trust a plug of any kind.  I would never feel safe riding knowing my tire was punctured and repaired.  My Z got a big nail in it at only 200 miles.   I replaced it with a brand new one.   Plugs may hold up but like I said, I would NEVER feel safe. 

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »
I carry a small HF mini 12v compressor, ream / insertion tools + string plugs under the seat of my ZRX. Had to use them a couple of times and kept the tire to the end, I look at it as I'm putting a piece of rubber back in and don't worry about it. Trust it.
Another 3000 miles VS buying a tire, the $10 kit wins.

"The ride is the reason"

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 03:43:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by ScottMA64 [+]
I've been riding street bikes since I was 16 (55 now) and I will NEVER trust a plug of any kind.  I would never feel safe riding knowing my tire was punctured and repaired.  My Z got a big nail in it at only 200 miles.   I replaced it with a brand new one.   Plugs may hold up but like I said, I would NEVER feel safe.

Would you feel the same way if you replaced the tire after the first nail and picked up another shortly thereafter? It happens. You going to keep replacing expensive tires? You might start looking hard at alternatives. The Stop & Go plugs from the inside and is very trustable if the nail or object is in the center of the tire. Your older and this is not your Daddy's tire repair. I would not trust the traditional ways either. Oh and I am much older than you.

If the puncture was anywhere near the sidewall I would replace but in the center, plug. I have 2 plugs in one Road 5 tire and have put close to 1500 miles on it. My front tire seems to loose more air than the plugged rear. My humble opinion and experience. Hope you don't pick up another nail before too long.

Offline ScottMA64

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Austin
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »
To tell you the truth I would keep replacing tires and chalk it up to bad luck.  This is actually the 1st time I ever had a nail in a street bike tire before so after all these years hopefully it will be the last time.  LOL   For me it's just piece of mind.  I'm going to be pretty stubborn on this subject (LOL), I will never trust my life to a plug.