Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.  (Read 11866 times)

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.
on: July 09, 2019, 05:49:30 AM
Been looking at suspension options as I should be upgrading my setup in the next couple of months. Waiting to hear back from Wilbers today about the fitting, but they do a shock for the Z900RS that should fit. Spoke to Nitron and they confirmed that the shocks they sell for the Z900 and the RS are exactly the same, so should be the case with Wilbers too. Theres 3 colour options, though I havent included a photo of the blue spring version as I dont think itd go with the colour schemes of the bike. Going for 629 or 674 if you go for the all black body. I think its a good looking shock. Another option for others to consider.

Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline stuartho

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Brisbane

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Re: Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:38:58 AM
*Originally Posted by stuartho [+]

Thats the version Im looking at. Should be getting mine in a couple of months. Currently about halfway towards the suspension upgrades. Going to get this shock (providing it fits) and the Andreani cartridge kit. Only thing Im wondering is how to mount the reservoir. Ive seen some clamps that go round it and attach to the frame that look quite smart.
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 06:39:50 AM
 The K-TECH is the same unit for the both the fast Z and the RS and comes with two, very different, mounting brackets for the remote reservoir.
 Best ask Wilbers about a Z specific bracket or you may not be able to mount the reservoir in a tidy way.
 I see it has high speed compression damping adjustment but does not appear to have a ride height adjuster.
 Does look like a very nice unit. 👍
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 06:49:04 AM
No height adjustment as far as Im aware, just high and low speed compression, rebound and preload.
As for mounting, I dont know what they supply, but Ive seen these if they dont supply anything or I dont like what it comes with.

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 07:03:53 AM
Just curious here - any reason you're preferring Wilbers over Nitron or K-Tech?  The last two are UK companies and you're in the UK, so support might be easier to obtain. The suspension guru I use in AU is official distributor for both Nitron and Wilbers, and even he recommended Nitron.

Is there a big cost difference for you with Wilbers, or is there another hidden advantage?

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 07:19:54 AM
Nitron is more expensive for the equal shock (NTR2) and the price between this and the K Tech is about the same. Ironically enough, my local suspension guy recommended Wilbers. Not worried about height adjustment that K Tech offers, but I dont like the red - yes Im a tart lol.

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 09:30:03 AM
Ahh, I just had another look at the AU pricing and now I can see the pricing difference. Looks like this is down to the ride height adjuster. The Type 641 price gets closer to the NTR R2 with the adjuster option added. A reasonable omission for a streetbike.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 11:43:28 AM
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
Ahh, I just had another look at the AU pricing and now I can see the pricing difference. Looks like this is down to the ride height adjuster. The Type 641 price gets closer to the NTR R2 with the adjuster option added. A reasonable omission for a streetbike.

Yes, forgot to mention they have a lowering or raising kit, should you wish. If you add that into it, then it gets closer to the price of the NTR2. As Im not fussed about ride height adjustment though, its nice to have the option to not have to pay for it and can always add it later on if I change my mind.

Offline Marco

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 Performance Ed
  • Town / City: Carrickfergus
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 03:15:54 PM
I can't see the sense in paying for a remote preload adjuster unless you carry a passenger regularly.   The NTR1 came set up perfectly for me.  I initially thought it was a bit under damped and went up 2 clicks on the damping. 3 or 4 tail end slides convinced me I was wrong.
Z1000.  I had a 900 so you'll never get rid of me. NEVER!