Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Re: Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.
Reply #50 on: August 28, 2019, 08:52:51 PM
 Looks good.  :028:
 All those knobs to fiddle with.  :001:

What is the spring rate?
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #51 on: August 29, 2019, 03:30:54 AM
110N/mm? Dont know anything about spring rates so I wouldnt know if that sound too high/low or about right. If it helps, with full gear and my tank bag, I quoted a weight of 127kg with a normal riding style for road use. Heres the card it came with.

Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
Reply #52 on: August 29, 2019, 06:03:22 AM
 Sounds about right. My K-tech also has a 110N/mm spring for 115kg rider.
Based on the data sheet your assembled spring length will be 175mm.
Verify that and the adjustment clicks before you install the shock so you are certain of the baseline.

Have fun. 😁
Cazzy_R

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #53 on: August 29, 2019, 06:06:27 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Sounds about right. My K-tech also has a 110N/mm spring for 115kg rider.
Based on the data sheet your assembled spring length will be 175mm.
Verify that and the adjustment clicks before you install the shock so you are certain of the baseline.

Have fun. 😁

Will do. Have you had any more of a play with the height adjuster on yours? I decided to add it to mine as well, just in case I wanted to give it a try at some point in the future as it cant be added at a later date.
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
Reply #54 on: August 29, 2019, 07:28:51 AM
You did right too include it. It's useful especially if reducing preload from base settings as it allows you to compensate for the loss of ride height.
I have just made another adjustment to see if it quickens the steering but not tested it yet.
It's probably the last thing to fiddle with though.
It's a whole world of fun and games adjusting preload, rebound and compression to get where you want to be. And you have two compression adjusters!
 Like I said before. Have fun. 😁
Cazzy_R

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #55 on: September 05, 2019, 10:32:33 PM
Finally off work for a little under two weeks. Decided against the idea of a bar running through the frame and perched on two axle stands as the brake pedal and gear shift assembly get in the way and I cant be bothered with taking more off the bike. So instead Im going to borrow an engine crane off a mate, refit the rear footpegs and suspend the bike that way, so should be fitting the shock in the next couple of days. Now just got to figure out how to keep the front wheel still while I lift the back end up. Will report back with some photos of the solution and the shock fitted to the bike when its done.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #56 on: September 07, 2019, 10:46:06 PM
All done. Knackered after the effort but glad I did it myself rather than paying hundreds for someone else to fit it. Too late to go out now, so the test ride will have to wait for another day, but initial thoughts are that it looks amazing and the feel of the bike squatting under my weight seems a lot better. Looking forward to feeling the difference.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #57 on: September 07, 2019, 11:57:01 PM
A thought that occurred to me though, what about static sag? The weight of the bike hasnt changed, but the stiffness of the spring has, so surely if the spring rate is linear, that means the bike wont sag under its own weight to give you static sag, or at least not as much as before? Not that its important really as the real number to worry about is rider sag, just curious is all.

Offline JohnCW

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Sydney
Reply #58 on: September 08, 2019, 11:15:38 AM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
The weight of the bike hasnt changed, but the stiffness of the spring has, so surely if the spring rate is linear, that means the bike wont sag under its own weight to give you static sag, or at least not as much as before?

Actually the opposite, assuming the rider sag has been correctly determined and set by Wilbers, the heavier spring will result in more static sag.

While you expect them to be correct as supplied, still check both the free and rider sag measurements. 

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #59 on: September 08, 2019, 11:22:58 AM
*Originally Posted by JohnCW [+]
Actually the opposite, assuming the rider sag has been correctly determined and set by Wilbers, the heavier spring will result in more static sag.

While you expect them to be correct as supplied, still check both the free and rider sag measurements.

How does that work? Sorry for my naivety, just struggling to understand the concept. If the spring is stiffer, then it will take more weight to make it compress, so without me sat on the bike, the only weight compressing the spring is the bike. As the weight of the bike is the same, surely that means it’s compressing the spring less than it would a softer spring. So if the rider sag is set correctly, my thinking was that there would be less free sag.

Again, my understanding of the way this all works is still developing, so just looking to learn/understand more :028: